The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-03-2018, 09:04 PM

Liked moat of the jobs I had before I landed in my career (psychologist). Loved my career. Retired after 30 years. Retirement has been great, and is getting better.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:17 PM

I'm retired since 2004...my two main personal interests are motorcycles and guitars, and my greatest joy is family, especially my 5 grandchildren with a new granddaughter due in Spring...

I have an inquisitive mind, and I'm never bored...

And FWIW, I especially like a quote I've heard attributed to Bob Dylan...

“A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.”

— Bob Dylan
Old 02-04-2018, 06:31 AM

I'm retired and have a part time job that is very rewarding and benefits my community.

Best of both worlds.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
I like retirement. When I worked I thought it was rewarding, but I haven't missed it for even a minute since I've been retired.
That's the way I think I'll feel when I retire.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

I retired but I loved my job, every second of it. Would still be working if I hadn't gotten sick a few years ago and could not keep up with the schedule. Now, I suppose I am a professional musician.

I do recommend retirement, but advise against becoming a couch potato. No you don't have as much money, but you find you don't need as much money.
Old 02-04-2018, 07:42 AM

I retired 7 years ago. Now I'm busier than ever. Wife became disabled the year after I retired and keeps me busy. Her projects become my projects. Add the house and a couple new grandsons and I always have something I can do. The only thing I missed was paydays for the first year or so. The adjustment was worth it. I also lost 30 pounds since then staying away from the coffee/snack bar. I don't golf and fish as much as I thought I would but spend much more time playing guitar. I still get up early every day to let the dog out and visit this forum. Nice place to be.
Old 02-04-2018, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

Im recently retired (three months). I have found myself again. I'm sleeping better and have energy now to pursue my many hobbies. Too many people only focus on the financial aspects of retirement. If you have family, good friends, and hobbies I really don't see how someone could be bored. And the guitar... it challenges me everyday. I will never not be challenged. That's fun! But yes, boredom is a human condition in any setting: work, home, hobbies, relationships. The other big factor for me was my "identity or ego" was not tied to my job or "occupation".
Old 02-04-2018, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetone74 View Post
The other big factor for me was my "identity or ego" was not tied to my job or "occupation".
I would say this was initially an issue for me. I gave up my license to practice since I saw little point in keeping up with the educational requirements; in so doing I lost part, at least, of who I was. But I have gotten over that loss and am comfortable with my new identity.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

Started delivering newspapers at 8, but my first real job was at 16, working a brand new McDonalds. Before it opened, the whole new crew was getting orientation and we were inspecting the dumpster, at the back of the empty parking lot. The manager turned to single me out, telling me to take my hands out of my pockets. The die was cast.

I ran my own business for almost 30 years and almost always enjoyed the daily challenge.

Retirement is better.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 02-04-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
So, do you like your job? If you're retired, do you enjoy retirement (stupid question, of course you do). Any jobs you've had that you hated? Loved?

I've been in IT the past 20 years and I enjoy it. Great career.
My job is very satisfying. I like being a part of a team of professionals that help others. I enjoy having responsibilities. I enjoy having somewhere to go each day. I enjoy having a pay check and benefits.

In my career I have had three "unemployed" events. These times served to teach me that I need to be employed in doing something I enjoy and get paid to perform.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:47 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
I like retirement. When I worked I thought it was rewarding, but I haven't missed it for even a minute since I've been retired.
Ain't it the truth I am puzzled when I hear from fellow retired friends that need to find a job because of *BOREDOM*...
Old 02-04-2018, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
So, do you like your job? If you're retired, do you enjoy retirement (stupid question, of course you do). Any jobs you've had that you hated? Loved?

I've been in IT the past 20 years and I enjoy it. Great career.
I am retired but boy it's a lot of work

Actually I had few different main income streams as well as often several concurrent side incomes

I worked the largest portion of my working life as a residential construction -framing and trim carpenter and later as a carpenter foreman and project manager. And even did some contracting

I also did a fair amount of sales with my older brother as an independent manufactures representative.

I also played music part time as a solo singer songwriter
And I also bred and trained and sold horses

The construction was pretty rewarding up until the last year and 1/2 when the company I worked for (because of size and complexity of the multi million dollar custom homes we were building) started hiring project managers who had no previous experience in construction let alone high end custom homes. And the managers started making stupid and completely unattainable timeline promises to the customers and then blaming the formen and crews for not making their idiotic promises come true. Which is why I retired at 57 instead of the planned 60

Retirement has been great but with doing major remodels on both of our houses plus all the other recreational things I do, it has been pretty busy

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-04-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I am retired but boy it's a lot of work

Actually I had few different main income streams as well as often several concurrent side incomes

I worked the largest portion of my working life as a residential construction -framing and trim carpenter and later as a carpenter foreman and project manager. And even did some contracting

I also did a fair amount of sales with my older brother as an independent manufactures representative.

I also played music part time as a solo singer songwriter
And I also bred and trained and sold horses

The construction was pretty rewarding up until the last year and 1/2 when the company I worked for (because of size and complexity of the multi million dollar custom homes we were building) started hiring project managers who had no previous experience in construction let alone high end custom homes. And the managers started making stupid and completely unattainable timeline promises to the customers and then blaming the formen and crews for not making their idiotic promises come true. Which is why I retired at 57 instead of the planned 60

Retirement has been great but with doing major remodels on both of our houses plus all the other recreational things I do, it has been pretty busy
Hey Kev. I'm an IT project manager and I can echo your comments on a PM trying to lead an effort in an industry they're not familiar with. Too bad that happened to you but sounds like you're enjoying your retirement, even if a few years early. Did you get your PRS electric before or after retirement?
Old 02-04-2018, 11:05 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I love my job. I've loved my basic work for all the thirty-seven years I've been doing it. I'm a Sound Designer/Recording Engineer & Producer. What has made it comfortable or not through the years has been management. Bad management breeds discomfort; good management breeds comfort and productivity. Right now I am under the best management I've ever had and I am thriving. My mother recently remarked that all three of her sons chose careers they loved. I suppose that is a legacy of my wonderful dad who was an Environmental Engineer and loved it.

I'm the middle brother. My younger brother is the only one of us who made much money. In his twenties he bought a restaurant franchise. Right now he owns twenty-three of them, if I count right! He commutes by private plane. I'm pretty proud of his accomplishments.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-04-2018, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Retired! 41 years behind a desk was enough.

The worst thing about retirement for many is the sudden change of lifestyle from work work work to .... nothing and less income. I've seen the resulting panic state in many.

In that, I was fortunate - I was made redundant in November 2003, but rapidly head hunted in March 2004. about 7 moths later the funding for my project was reduced so they asked me to work part-time which I agreed to whilst looking for something else. I found that I could afford to live on about 3/5th salary and kept t up for three years enjoying my afternoons and arranging my finances for retirement income which worked out to the penny until I got my state pension.

With no mortgage, or debt one can live comfortably without the salaries previously necessary to pay National Insurance, pension contributions, commuting, booze and holidays to recover from work, smart business wear, etc., etc.

If I have three things to do in one day ...I'm busy now!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic