The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-23-2014, 05:09 AM

Nice work on Shenandoah TBman. I sometimes play that one as well.

I've just downloaded Toby Walker's Police Dog Blues (Blind Blake) lesson so I'm going to give that a go. Open D tuning. Started out yesterday with the intro and basic verse. All seems fairly reasonable so far.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:16 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Ok, here is page 1 of Shenandoah. I practiced for about an hour yesterday between the two songs and about 30 minutes tonight. I'll see if I post anything from Foggy Dew this week or maybe more of this one. It's played on my Larrivee OM-05. DADGAD, capo II. I like this soundcloud thingamabob. Its recorded in mono with Adobe Audition 1.5 using 1 Rode NT-5 mic. Later on this week I'll get my other mic out and play around with recording in stereo.

Hi TBMan I don't have headphones on me right now so I'll give it a listen tonight.

Update Day 4: found about a 1/2 hour last night and played through the arrangement that I put together in my head a bunch of times. I like it. I'm trying to keep it pretty simple. The tune is so nice on it's own that I don't want to cover it up with too much fancy stuff. I still haven't played it through without a mistake yet though. I'll try to nail it tonight.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:42 AM

Default I'll play....

Dad's 80th birthday is a month away. We're having a big family get-together weekend. Family will be flying in for this.

I remember he loved to watch the Glen Campbell Goodtime hour. We'd get together as a family and all watch. Recently I bought him tickets to go see him perform at a show during his farewell tour.

I think it's over my head, but I think I would like to find and play a nice fingerstyle version of "Gentle on My Mind".

At the very least, I have my work cut out for myself.
Gibson J-30
Walden CO500 (camper)
Fender FSR BSB Telecaster
Old 09-23-2014, 11:05 AM

I'm in. I just started learning Last Steam Engine Train. The version done by Tony at the Acoustic Letter. The song basically has 4 sections, I am working on the first two now. So far good progress, I can sight read and play though them but trying to put it into memory.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:05 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitoolong View Post
Dad's 80th birthday is a month away. We're having a big family get-together weekend. Family will be flying in for this.

I remember he loved to watch the Glen Campbell Goodtime hour. We'd get together as a family and all watch. Recently I bought him tickets to go see him perform at a show during his farewell tour.

I think it's over my head, but I think I would like to find and play a nice fingerstyle version of "Gentle on My Mind".

At the very least, I have my work cut out for myself.
What a nice thing to do for your dad. Best of luck!
Old 09-24-2014, 02:15 AM

Spent a fair time last night with Police Dog Blues. Getting the timing right on the solos is challenging but the main verse is ok.
I can't sing and play so it may be an instrumental version.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:04 AM

Still working on transcribing my piece, a few bars at a time as time permits. What I've played back on the computer sounds pretty darn close to the recording so far. Friday I start my weekend, and then it'll be time to start learning to play it.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 09-24-2014, 07:58 AM
Guest 33123

Day 5: long repertoire practice with a lots of screw ups last night so it was late when I started working on I'll Fly Away. Went pretty well despite that. The arrangement seems to make sense and I came close to playing it without mistakes a couple of times. I think it may be ready for recording this weekend.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:33 AM

Day 2 - Gentle on my mind

Got through the first 8 bars or so, about half speed. Not too worried about my left hand, but the right is a different story.

This is going to take some hours.
Gibson J-30
Walden CO500 (camper)
Fender FSR BSB Telecaster
Old 09-24-2014, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Day 3, practiced Shenandoah for a good halfhour. I started bringing the first two pages up to speed. Tonite I will try to play along with Doug Young's recording.

*** Update ***

Ok I was able to play along with D. Young's recording pretty well, just some timing differences (I can't sight read to save my life, lol). So now I will work on the last two pages - its repetitive so it shouldn't be too bad. Maybe I can get another recording up on Friday or Saturday.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.

Last edited by TBman; 09-24-2014 at 06:26 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:53 AM
Guest 33123

Day 6: only had about 10 minutes last night so I played it through (haltingly) as many times as I could. Mistakes every time. Haven't played it through without a mistake yet. Hopefully I'll get it together tonight and record it on Saturday. Nice thing is though that my wife sings along every time I play it so I must be doing something right.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:00 AM

Not much change with Police Dog Blues today. Verse and first solo are going ok but the second solo I can't get the double stops to sound right.
I think I will review Toby's videos of the second solo and move on to the third part tonight as well.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Day 6: only had about 10 minutes last night so I played it through (haltingly) as many times as I could. Mistakes every time. Haven't played it through without a mistake yet. Hopefully I'll get it together tonight and record it on Saturday. Nice thing is though that my wife sings along every time I play it so I must be doing something right.

You weren't even warmed up, that's why. I got out a book on alternate tunings chords and played a bunch on DADGAD just making stuff up for 15 minutes before I practiced the song I'm working on. Warmup is important, IMO. And it doesn't have to be exactly perfect anyway, Doug. Its for fun!

My SoundCloud page

Old 09-25-2014, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftArm View Post
Not much change with Police Dog Blues today. Verse and first solo are going ok but the second solo I can't get the double stops to sound right.
I think I will review Toby's videos of the second solo and move on to the third part tonight as well.
That song sounds neat, can't wait to hear your version.

My SoundCloud page

Old 09-25-2014, 11:38 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
You weren't even warmed up, that's why. I got out a book on alternate tunings chords and played a bunch on DADGAD just making stuff up for 15 minutes before I practiced the song I'm working on. Warmup is important, IMO. And it doesn't have to be exactly perfect anyway, Doug. Its for fun!
Don't worry Barry. I'm still having fun.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write