The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-26-2010, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadus View Post
That's true. The bonus material takes the course to another level. I also highly recommended doing the bonus material whether or not you have the expanded version DVD's.

Bill
I'll second that as well. The written bonus material takes the basic exercises and songs one or two steps further, with slightly more challenging stuff. Working through them succesfully will help you a lot as you move on through the course. Plus the bonus material is where Steve outlines the criteria you need to meet before moving on to the next session, so in that regard it's extremely useful. Without those kinds of benchmarks as a reference, it can be difficult to get the most out of any self-directed course of learning.

1977 Martin M-38
1982 Stelling Staghorn
2013 Larrivée D-40R
2014 Andrew White Eos 1011 (sold)
2016 Pisgah Possum
Old 07-06-2010, 05:51 AM

I bought a copy as a result of the comments here, and the link to the $100 offer. It arrived in 7 days from the US to the UK, with a low value on the customs form so that it escaped import duties. The postage charges quoted by L&MG matched the actual charges, and the packaging was good. The course comes in a nice card presentation case. So far so good. The accompanying book is very basic. Let's see how the disks do.

I was originally put off this course by fake looking online review websites, which look as if their sole purpose is to publish a review of multiple courses, with L&MG placed at the top. There are also many websites which seem sort of genuine and yet go out of their way to praise this course. I have to wonder why.

Actually the reason is simple as I discovered from the L&MG site. They pay a significant sum of money to each person who forwards a new customer. See here.

How to make money. Yippee!

In other words, someone can intentionally post a glowing review in order to get a commission from L&MG. Now that to my mind is dishonest and little more than deception. I should add that this is my opinion, and some reviews might be genuine, though lord knows how one can discriminate between fake and real.

I am sure that in the UK our law requires someone to disclose any monetary gain from a review e.g. commission. Is that not the case in the states?

As I said, I bought the course on the basis of comments here from people with a large posting history. On some forums when this course is discussed, loads of newbies pop up to praise the course. Mmmm. Had I known about the affiliate program, I might have thought twice about the purchase. Still, $100 is not a huge sum.

The Fungi of Southern England
Old 07-06-2010, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif View Post
I bought a copy as a result of the comments here, and the link to the $100 offer. It arrived in 7 days from the US to the UK, with a low value on the customs form so that it escaped import duties. The postage charges quoted by L&MG matched the actual charges, and the packaging was good. The course comes in a nice card presentation case. So far so good. The accompanying book is very basic. Let's see how the disks do.

I was originally put off this course by fake looking online review websites, which look as if their sole purpose is to publish a review of multiple courses, with L&MG placed at the top. There are also many websites which seem sort of genuine and yet go out of their way to praise this course. I have to wonder why.

Actually the reason is simple as I discovered from the L&MG site. They pay a significant sum of money to each person who forwards a new customer. See here.

How to make money. Yippee!

In other words, someone can intentionally post a glowing review in order to get a commission from L&MG. Now that to my mind is dishonest and little more than deception. I should add that this is my opinion, and some reviews might be genuine, though lord knows how one can discriminate between fake and real.

I am sure that in the UK our law requires someone to disclose any monetary gain from a review e.g. commission. Is that not the case in the states?

As I said, I bought the course on the basis of comments here from people with a large posting history. On some forums when this course is discussed, loads of newbies pop up to praise the course. Mmmm. Had I known about the affiliate program, I might have thought twice about the purchase. Still, $100 is not a huge sum.
Hi Leif. As you can see above, several of us were really put off by the fake reviews resulting from the affiliate program. I would have ordered it a year earlier otherwise. I didn't believe the course was worthwhile till this thread was started. Having been in the course for several months now, I find it worth the monetary and time investment. It's not the be-all end-all for learning to play well, but if someone puts in the time, he will certainly travel a long way in learning how to play well (I'm also working in William Leavitt's Modern Method for Guitar and Mark Hanson's Art of Contemporary Travis Picking). Still, Learn & Master Guitar is the best course I've seen for the $99 one pays for a previously viewed package. In fact, it's worth the perpetually-sale-priced $149, another marketing gimmick.

The LMG community is a real boon for the course. If you haven't already, check out the LMG forum.

Bill
Old 07-06-2010, 08:05 AM

Thanks Bill, that's useful.

The Fungi of Southern England
Old 07-06-2010, 10:34 AM

I too have learned a lot from L&M although I have only gone through lesson 11 in close to a year and a half. Truth is that I branched out trying to focus on arpeggios and chord changing as I mainly play to accompany myself. But I definitely learned to sight-read and am capable of playing practically any melody without reading from anywhere on the fretboard. I have also burnt a well received CD and probably will go back to the course and finish it because it keeps you learning and gives lots of material for expansion. I highly recommend it.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:59 PM

I've had LMG for about a year now and am pretty much done with it. I don't know if this is appropriate for this forum, but if anyone wants it I'm willing to sell it at a discounted price (perfect condition btw). Again sorry if you're not allowed to post that here and if so delete this comment.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadus View Post
I'm finding that to be true. One of the frustrations is that it takes my fingers/hand so much longer to learn what to do than the mind comprehends it. In my mind, it's like, "Yes, I have that." My fingers and hand are more like, "Say what? How do you do this?" over and over and over again. But progress is coming, so slowly.

Bill
I just said the exact same thing to my wife. The repetition makes me feel like a simpleton and is such an exercise in patience and frustration... I bet I've played Bm to G and back 1000 times and there's still a huge pause as my fingers struggle to 'find' it.... I went through the same thing with other chords so I know it will come. I just keep hoping something is going to click in my head and the milestones are going to start coming faster
Old 07-11-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls88 View Post
I've had LMG for about a year now and am pretty much done with it. I don't know if this is appropriate for this forum, but if anyone wants it I'm willing to sell it at a discounted price (perfect condition btw). Again sorry if you're not allowed to post that here and if so delete this comment.
Become a Charter Member and offer it in the AGF Classifieds.

Bill
Old 07-19-2010, 09:06 AM

Well, I certainly hope the positive posts in this thread were not all the "paid for" type as I pulled the trigger after reading this thread and purchased a pre-viewed course for $99. I'm hoping for the best!!

Cheers,
Mark
Old 07-19-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallboard View Post
Well, I certainly hope the positive posts in this thread were not all the "paid for" type as I pulled the trigger after reading this thread and purchased a pre-viewed course for $99. I'm hoping for the best!!

Cheers,
Mark

I receive a 50% commission from all orders coming through AGF.

Work through it slowly Mark, and be patient. The material in the Bonus Workshop DVD's is especially important. Also, take advantage of the LMG forum. Hope you the best and look forward to your take on it.

Bill
Old 07-21-2010, 10:40 PM

Im been using LnG since may and am about to start session 5. I have to say that Im very happy I bought it (did so after reading this post). I have to say that even though im still pretty early into the sessions, Ive become much better than before I started. Im actually learning stuff instead of just learning songs (which is what my instructor at private lessons was doing).
Old 07-30-2010, 09:41 AM

I have been using LM&G for a couple of months now, I really like how the lessons are laid out and progress. I'm going back and forth between lessons 4 and 5 right now.

I will echo other comments in that practice/repetition are key. When I can play multiple nights in a row I find myself getting better much more quickly. When I have to take some time off (was out of town for a week recently) I regressed quite a bit so for me the key is to play every single night.

Overall I think this is the best way for me (complete newb, never played an instrument before) to learn. Will update my progress in this thread as I go.

We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallboard View Post

Cheers,
Mark
LOL, I'm like Fallboard, I was a little hesitant. But I did my own un-scientific research just now. I looked at the names of the people on this thread who gave positive "reviews" of the package, and they have all been here long enough that I doubt they could be shills. The only name I really recognized was Broadus' because I've seen him post a number of times. But some of the others have been here several years as well. I think one has been here 10 yrs.
Based on my obviously excellent research , I too ordered the "pre-viewed" course, and look forward to a great learning experience.
Throughout my life, I've learned one thing...........I ain't an organizer. I need guidance on things like this and on building guitars. So the structure of this course should help a bunch.
Glad to see this topic, as I've been wondering where to go, who to see, what to do about playing better and better.
I can strum with Travis Tritt, Vern Gosdin, Charlie Daniels, and Waylon, but I want to be good enough to play a song and have folks recognize it even if I'm not singing.
Thanks guys,
Bob
Old 08-02-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naccoachbob View Post
LOL, I'm like Fallboard, I was a little hesitant. But I did my own un-scientific research just now. I looked at the names of the people on this thread who gave positive "reviews" of the package, and they have all been here long enough that I doubt they could be shills. The only name I really recognized was Broadus' because I've seen him post a number of times. But some of the others have been here several years as well. I think one has been here 10 yrs.
Based on my obviously excellent research , I too ordered the "pre-viewed" course, and look forward to a great learning experience.
Throughout my life, I've learned one thing...........I ain't an organizer. I need guidance on things like this and on building guitars. So the structure of this course should help a bunch.
Glad to see this topic, as I've been wondering where to go, who to see, what to do about playing better and better.
I can strum with Travis Tritt, Vern Gosdin, Charlie Daniels, and Waylon, but I want to be good enough to play a song and have folks recognize it even if I'm not singing.
Thanks guys,
Bob
The one thing the course will not do is change the personality of the student. On this I speak from experience.

I zipped through Lesson One with daily practice. Ditto Lesson Two. In Lesson Three I started missing days for no particular reason. Then I decided to skip ahead to see whether I could get away with it. My practice days (as opposed to strumming and singing days) became less frequent. At this point I can't recall exactly how long it's been since I worked on a lesson.

The above mirrors my experience with other books/videos/DVDs over the years. What's different this time is that I've surveyed the lessons well enough to know that this course addresses the entire skill set, at least at a beginner/intermediate level, in a systematic, well-paced way.

I'm now fairly sure that I don't actually want to improve. If I did, I would work the course daily as Steve laid it out.

A veteran is someone who at one point in his or her life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
Old 08-02-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naccoachbob View Post
Thanks guys,
Bob
Hey Bob. I hope it works well for you, or my name is mud. The "previewed" course is definitely the way to go. I've had it since February or whenever and have been well pleased. It definitely is organized well and will give you the tools to advance in playing guitar. You certainly won't "master" the guitar by the end, but you will have advanced toward that goal.

Let us know what you think about it. We need unvarnished views--the good, the bad, and the ugly--to help others make up their mind.

Bill

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write