The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-15-2018, 07:40 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearsedriver View Post
Its hard tio photograph but maybe you can tell from this picture how dull the top is. I guess that someone in the past could have rubbed it with fine steel wool or something. I think I could easily buff it out to a gloss.
It certainly does seem to have a slightly different sheen than typical. However, I've never heard of this on an LSV or any other Standard Series guitar of the period. My LSV is just a little earlier than yours and the finish on it seems normal in all respects. I don't have any explanation for why yours is the way it is.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:19 AM

Default Tops are different

I see the top of 28 with satin finish finer grain AAA vs AA grade spruce with silk too like my 2000 Martin Koa.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:56 AM

I solved the mystery when I went to replace the pick guard. I found that a previous owner had removed some of the original finish when the original pick guard was removed and replaced with a Greven. They over-sprayed the top with either a satin lacquer or, did not buff the gloss lacquer. After removing the Greven pick guard, I did further finish touch-up and buffed the entire top before installing a Tortoloid pick guard. The things these guitars go through in 20 years of ownership.......

[IMG][/IMG]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion