The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-07-2018, 04:33 AM

One trick I use , before going to sleep I just apply a fairly large amount of hand cream to the hands , in the morning totally absorbed as another member has stated Berts Bees is very good
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 02-07-2018, 05:11 AM

Karen - check out this thread that I started several years ago http://http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=432890. Check it out and consider some of the suggestions.

It’s more than likely that the dry weather is at the heart of your issue, but in my case, it was an allergy to nickel. I would avoid putting Krazy Glue on your finger tips- it made my allergy worse. Of all the creams, I found that Burt’s Bees and Eucerin were the best (And I believe I tried them all).

And as I mentioned, gloves when driving, dishes, and going outside.

Good luck with this.

Rick

PS - if you can’t wear inexpensive jewelry, there may very well be a nickel allergy contributing to your problem.

Last edited by srick; 02-07-2018 at 05:17 AM.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:08 AM

Default ouch

Ouch. I know of which you speak but have not been bothered in years. I use hand cram whenever my hands feel dry and try to avoid getting them wet (like doing dishes, for which my wife is less than grateful). It is ironic that getting wet hands dries them out. I think that I have become more sensitive to that dry feeling than I used to be and now take steps to correct the issue before it becomes one.

Surprisingly someone else mentioned the best product that I know - Bag Balm. It was developed for soothing chapped/weather-damaged teats on dairy cattle. You think your fingers hurt when they get cracks! Probably more of it is sold for human consumption than for cows now. But, as you see, there are lots of others that can work as well.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

[QUOTE=srick;5630905]Karen - check out this thread that I started several years ago http://http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=432890. Check it out and consider some of the suggestions.

It’s more than likely that the dry weather is at the heart of your issue, but in my case, it was an allergy to nickel. I would avoid putting Krazy Glue on your finger tips- it made my allergy worse. Of all the creams, I found that Burt’s Bees and Eucerin were the best (And I believe I tried them all).

And as I mentioned, gloves when driving, dishes, and going outside.

Good luck with this.

Rick

Rick--
Thankfully I don't have a nickel allergy. Sorry that you have to deal with that. Thanks for the link.

I will be trying different creams. I always wear gloves when washing dishes, going outside, and use handcream after washing my hands.

I found another interesting cream on Amazon by Joshua tree. It's all organic and the seller sent me a list of ingredients and what purpose they serve.

Joshua Tree Skin Care Musicians Salve:

Beeswax: Creates desirable consistency and seals moisture in the skin. Calendula: A wound healing herb that reduces inflammation of infected and irritated skin. Comfrey: An herb that reduces pain and promotes healing by forming a protective surface over wounds. Echinacea: An herb containing anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that aids in fighting infections and promotes healing. Wildcrafted Chaparral: An herbal antibiotic containing antioxidants and antiseptic properties that decreases inflammation and wards off infection. Myrrh Gum: A resin extracted from tree sap that contains strong disinfectant properties used to heal wounds. Benzoin Gum: A resin extracted from the bark of trees that contains antiseptic properties to heal wounds and antioxidants that prevent infection. Tea Tree Oil: Fights infections acne and insect bites. Lavender OIl: Heals wounds, burns and prevents scarring. Jojoba Oil: A liquid wax extracted from the seeds of jojoba trees that provides lasting moisture for skin.

Whatever I try I'll pass the resulsts along.

Guitar George said:
Cover the crack with a "Band-Aid Plastic" bandaid
Lift up the fabric area and run water onto the fabric and cracked area
Do this whenever you wash your hands to keep the fabric wet
The plastic keeps the moisture in and slows the evaporation
After a few days, take the bandaid off.
Your skin will look like a white prune for a short while and your crack will be gone

So I have a product I purchased a few years ago at CVS called "Advanced Healing." It's like Guitar George's suggestion. It's a "moist bandaid."

It helped me get over a crack on my heel. Though I don't know if it's OK to have a fingernail moist for a few days. I tried to put it on just on the crack at the fingertip.

Truly thanks all for your suggestions. What a resource this forum is!
Karen
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 02-16-2018, 06:46 AM
Charter Member

I wanted to update this post I started. I've been using a Hand & Body lotion by Alaffia called "Cocoa butter Hand & Body Cream" and also "Borage Therapy dry skin lotion" by Shikai. At night I've been using the cocoa butter hand & body cream, and applying lip balm by Badge to the tips of my fingers, and sleeping in cotton gloves. And I am being relentless about using the hand cream during the day. This has helped a lot! I'm actually finger picking with my fingers again. Thanks to all!
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 02-16-2018, 08:47 AM

Wink Nails, what nails

I’ve have a diagnosed skin disorder that affects my nails. They always crack in the center, on some all the way down to the base.

A few years ago, I did like Pierre Bensusan and started forming my own acrylic nails. They were great, actually amazing at first, but became a maintenance nightmare. After a year of use, my skin surrounding the nails became allergic, so I had to quit.

Tried finger-picks and have a dozen various products here. They are clumsy for me, since I use thumb and 3 fingers of my right hand. I was watching an old John Hurt video one day and realized, like me he had no nails, just calloused skin!

I learned to fingerpick starting with classical 45 years ago. I never flatpicked. 10 years ago, knowing my issue with nails, I decided to master flatpicking, which I have. So for me know, it’s skin on strings, left and right fingers calloused, or flatpick. Now I get decent volume without nails!
Old 02-16-2018, 09:48 PM
Charter Member

JohnnyD123--Glad you found a way to keep picking!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic