The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-18-2017, 09:05 AM

Default CFL Playoffs 2017

I know we have a few CFL fans here. The Eastern and Western finals are tomorrow with the winners going to the Grey Cup.

I'm surprised Saskatchewan (my team) won in the cross-over semi finals last week against Ottawa.

Who you rooting for?
Old 11-18-2017, 10:10 AM

I'll never stop rooting for the Hamilton Tiger Cats. Having said this I am going with Kevin Glenn and Saskatchewan Roughriders. Mostly because Argooooos suck!
I am going to the game. Snow in the forecast.

There's a piece in today's paper saying Halifax is getting a team. I hope so.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 11-18-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasworker View Post
I'll never stop rooting for the Hamilton Tiger Cats. Having said this I am going with Kevin Glenn and Saskatchewan Roughriders. Mostly because Argooooos suck!
I am going to the game. Snow in the forecast.

There's a piece in today's paper saying Halifax is getting a team. I hope so.
I was hoping you'd chime in, Gas. Have fun at the game! How's BMO Field?

I read about Halifax trying for a team. I hope that goes through. The League needs an even number of teams (not like the current 9) and a Maritime based team would be great.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:21 PM

I was at BMO for the Grey Cup last year. It's a bare bones stadium rebuilt for professional soccer. The physical seats are at the very high end of horrible. They're like 1970's plastic scoop seats, awful. I head in to Toronto from a Burlington on the train which stops right at the stadium so it's all good. I am a 3 down football fan with season tickets to Hamilton, so I am looking forward to tomorrow.

Old 11-18-2017, 05:45 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I spent my youth in Halifax. My Dad was originally from Ottawa, so I was a Rough Riders fan...of a number of the players in the late ‘60s, of course including the great QB, #12 Russ Jackson. In fact, I still have a kids size helmet on which my Dad used electrical tape to put the “R” designation on both sides , and Jackson’s #12 on the back.

Fast forward to 1972 to 74...Russ Jackson, previously a high school math teacher in Ottawa when not playing football, had retired and became the principal of my Ottawa high school. As were most students, boys at least, I was ecstatic that my football hero was to be our principal. I won’t explain how he made a grand entrance on his first day, but it is forever emblazoned in my mind. He was a great leader, so well respected. Kenny Lehman, another notable player on the GC winning team became the coach of our school football team. I still have a team photo of the 1968 Grey Cup Win Testimonial Dinner for the Ottawa Rough Riders and Ottawa Sooners signed by all the Riders, including coach Frank Clare. Through all the iterations of the Ottawa CFL team since, I have remained a fan.

Now, with all this said, for many years I’m a bigger fan of the NFL...when young I was a Packers fan, and a Broncos fan since Manning went there. But although I find that the CFL can be a bit of a joke at times, I’m still a fan. I’d love to see a team in Halifax to create a proper east-west.

I was at the ‘Jacks (the name I’ve given Ottawa because their RB name is just plain dumb!) game against Hamilton (two games ago) with my Dad. It was fun to be there. Ottawa has an absolutely beautiful new stadium as part of the large redevelopment of Landsdowne Park. It’ll be a great venue for the Grey Cup. Too bad Ottawa won’t be there. It was a miracle and way cool that they won it all last year. I’ll be watching the remain8ng games this season. With the ‘Jacks now out, I don’t really have a favorite. I’ll just be hoping for good games.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:24 PM

Game report. I don't know what it looked like on TV but it was cold cold cold with a stiff north wind. Both teams were horrible. Kevin Glenn is done I've never seen him be more ineffective. Bridge complained so much on the field that if I were the coach I would have benched him. Ricky Ray for Toronto was steady as always but the play call was confusing. The Grey Cup has the potential to be a real stinker.
Well I am home now and glad for a hot bowl of soup!

Old 11-19-2017, 05:50 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Game report. I don't know what it looked like on TV but it was cold cold cold with a stiff north wind. Both teams were horrible. Kevin Glenn is done I've never seen him be more ineffective. Bridge complained so much on the field that if I were the coach I would have benched him. Ricky Ray for Toronto was steady as always but the play call was confusing. The Grey Cup has the potential to be a real stinker.
Yeah, too bad Glenn wasn’t as ineffective against Ottawa last week. Watching the game today, it did seem cold and windy. I’m watching the Stampeders vs. Eskimos game now. Edmonton started out strong and leading, but Calgary is way ahead near the end of the 3rd quarter. I can’t believe how frequently CFL receivers drop very catchable balls.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
I only watched the last few minutes. The Riders had a chance but couldn't hold on to the lead. I thought the lateral pass plan on that last play was a bad call but I guess with 20 seconds left and the length of the field your options are limited.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I only watched the last few minutes. The Riders had a chance but couldn't hold on to the lead. I thought the lateral pass plan on that last play was a bad call but I guess with 20 seconds left and the length of the field your options are limited.
The play selection was really bad. The lateral pass was just one of many confusing calls.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
The play selection was really bad. The lateral pass was just one of many confusing calls.
I agree. I was shouting at the tv on that play.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic