The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-04-2017, 04:42 PM

Default Vintage amp info needed

This year I've acquired a few rare vintage amps and there are two specifically I'm hoping to find more information about. First is a '62 Gretsch Stereo King and the other is a '67 Goya Barracuda head.
I'd like to talk with anyone knowing about either of these amps.

Cheers
Old 09-05-2017, 01:08 AM

The vintage Gretsch amps were made by Valco...Chicago. Same company that made Supro, Airline, couple other well-regarded vintage tube amps. They were relatively inexpensive back then compared to the big-name companies.

The other one...I got nothing...
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 09-05-2017, 12:21 PM

this is all i could find on goya via google.

https://reverb.com/item/6459853-vint...llectible-rare

goya was bought by guild in 1966 and later martin!! they made mainly acoustics but also a few amps.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 09-05-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
this is all i could find on goya via google.

https://reverb.com/item/6459853-vint...llectible-rare

goya was bought by guild in 1966 and later martin!! they made mainly acoustics but also a few amps.

play music!
Now that helps and makes sense as the amp looks a bit like my Thunderbass. I was also seeing some references to Hagstrom being involved in Goya products so thought there might be a connection there. Can you refer me to where you found the info of Guild buying Goya?

Thanks
Old 09-05-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtheaxe View Post
The vintage Gretsch amps were made by Valco...Chicago. Same company that made Supro, Airline, couple other well-regarded vintage tube amps. They were relatively inexpensive back then compared to the big-name companies.

The other one...I got nothing...
I guess I could be more specific but the question I have concerns the date codes in my SK. They were only sold in '62 and then dropped as they cost nearly $4000 by today's value. Mine has all date codes including the serial number dating it to 1959. I bought it a few months back off eBay with the story that it was owned by Eddie Cochran..... But no proof. The only other SK's I've found are two in the UK which both have date codes of 1961 so I'm wondering if I have a prototype and if so.... Does that make the EC story a bit more plausible? So I'm looking for folks who might actually own one so I can continue gathering date code info.
I'm going to a Gretsch gathering this weekend that will include Joe Carducci from Gretsch. Hopefully he can help but I'm asking everywhere possible trying to put this together.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars