The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-01-2008, 09:12 PM

Default Taylor For Aggressive Strumming

Hi All
I joined the forum not to long ago and I must say that this is a great place.I've only been playing for about 10 weeks now.The first guitar was a Yamaha F01 that I purchased as starter kit.It seems like a nice guitar for the money.My problem was the narrow nut width so I purchased a Taylor GC3.I like the short scale and wider nut,but I like to strum pretty heavy and find myself kind of overdriving it.I can lighten up my attack,but I really like to just let it rip if you know what I mean.For now I'm just concentrating on strumming not fingerstyle.What model of the Taylor line would you say fits this the best.I tried the dreadnaughts,but find them to big for me.I do like the 1 3/4 nut width.The GC3 is a great sounding and playing guitar but it might be a tad small for a pounder like me.I know technique is a major part of all guitar playing,and I'm about 30 years away.Thanks for any advice.
Scot
Old 06-01-2008, 09:16 PM

Try a GS. I can strum the crap out of my RTaylor.
It handles fingerpicking nicely too.

2011 Taylor Custom 12-fret - Cedar / Ovangkol
2009 Taylor Custom GC - Engelmann / Maple
2008 Taylor Baby Mahogany
2006 Taylor T5-C
Old 06-01-2008, 09:35 PM

yes the GS models will handle strumming very well and many like the comfort better than a dread.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:16 PM

Thanks for the replies.I think I'll go test a few tomorrow.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:44 AM

For sure...GS or 814 (Taylor's workhorse)
"I steer my Bark with hope in the head and fear to the stern"...Thomas Jefferson...right before becoming penniless building the Jefferson Library.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:04 PM
The Plucky Comic Relief

I think a 714 with a Sitka top would work well - I've strummed the heck out of one. Just avoid the Cedar-topped 714s, they're a bit soft for aggressive strumming.

BTW, if you want an example of quite possibly the best aggressive strummer around, pick up the album "Riverside" by Luka Bloom. A couple of listens to "Delirious" and "You Couldn't Have Come At A Better Time" will show you how it's done. :-)

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
- Robert McCloskey
Old 06-02-2008, 06:10 PM
There is none like you.

I just bought a GS8 2 days ago and it is a strummer for sure.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:11 PM

Don't forget a jumbo! I can really strum very hard on mine!
Old 06-02-2008, 08:59 PM

I agree on the GS8 -- great choice. Also, my Walnut/Sitka 2006 414e Fall LTD is a guitar that can take what you dish out and... it just so happens to be for sale here in the AGF Classifieds if you prefer something with a woodier sound!

ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING: Taylor, Martin, Gibson, Yamaha, Guild...
Old 06-02-2008, 09:19 PM

Well it seems as though the GS is a crowd favorite.I was curious as to how the GA's would hold up tp the task.According to taylors website,the GA body is only a 1/4" smaller than the GS,but it has light strings not mediums.One more question for you experienced players,does anyone know what the waist measures on the GS.Thanks for all your info.
Scot
Old 06-02-2008, 09:44 PM

any x10, GS, or jumbo should suit ya just fine...and most x14's can handle all the strumming you can give them too...

If you are just looking for something to hammer on, try a 310ce ...
Old 06-02-2008, 09:57 PM

BTW, if you want an example of quite possibly the best aggressive strummer around, pick up the album "Riverside" by Luka Bloom. A couple of listens to "Delirious" and "You Couldn't Have Come At A Better Time" will show you how it's done. :-)[/QUOTE]

Just found "Delirious" on you tube.Now that's more like it.That guy can definately strumm for sure.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
GC3FORME:

Well it seems as though the GS is a crowd favorite...

GS (sitka top) is good but don't forget to try an 814 also.

I have a GS and love strumming it but I have played a few REALLY GOOD 814's that are also great strummers!

A good 814 is hard to beat for strumming (along with everything else.)

Try them both (GS & 814) before buying.

ToneSrchin
"I steer my Bark with hope in the head and fear to the stern"...Thomas Jefferson...right before becoming penniless building the Jefferson Library.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egoss View Post
I think a 714 with a Sitka top would work well - I've strummed the heck out of one. Just avoid the Cedar-topped 714s, they're a bit soft for aggressive strumming.

BTW, if you want an example of quite possibly the best aggressive strummer around, pick up the album "Riverside" by Luka Bloom. A couple of listens to "Delirious" and "You Couldn't Have Come At A Better Time" will show you how it's done. :-)
I disagree and agree with this at the same time. Not everyone here is the same, and some of us are strummers that still get good sounds from a cedar topped guitar. I personally bought a GS8 and didn't care for its sound that much (only because I tend to lean toward the warmer sounds). But many others swear by the GS8. So, really, the best thing to do is try something (if you can) before you plunk down the cash.

As for what I agree most with in the above quote, is the fact that Luka Bloom's Riverside album is awesome! Check him out here...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECUg-2NRweA

2009 Taylor XXXV Baritone
2007 Taylor GS5e-12 String (Spruce and Mahogany)
2006 R. Taylor "MARS" (Redwood and Cocobolo)
2006 Breedlove ABJ250 SM4 (Acoustic Bass)
1997 Taylor 514c (w/ Fishman Ellipse Matrix Blend)

2 Turntables and a Microphone
Old 06-03-2008, 03:59 PM
*mahoganut*

Welcome GC3.. +1 here for ANY of the 14s. My 714 (cedar) is now doing yeoman's duty with my son leading worship at a pretty big church - strumming the heck out of it. I used a 914 (coco/englemann) for a year, working it pretty hard, but the overtones were a bit much for the simple PA we were using (small church venue) so I turned to an all mahogany 514, and it really cooks.

So, the GSs are great, but don't neglect the "lowly" GAs - they're great and are in a nice slot between GCs and the GS/Jumbos.

Enjoy!!

rr

Paragon RW/Macassar Ebony Baritone
Rainsong S OM1100-N2
Woolson LS RW/30s African mahogany LG 12
Baranik LS RW/"tree" mahogany OO
Baranik Blue Spruce/"tree" mahogany OM
Boswell RW/koa OO
Baranik Retreux Parlour Adi/Pumaquiro
Baranik Blue Spruce/Coco Meridian "Geo"
Baranik Blue Spruce/Kingwood OO
Woolson T13 RW/Walnut SIG

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion