The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-19-2015, 07:24 PM

Default iPad Air + Tascam US-4x4?

Hi all.

I picked up a Tascam US 4x4 last week and I can't seem to get it to work with my iPad Air 2. I've got the camera connection kit. I've got a powered hub. I connect the iPad to the upstream from the hub and the Tascam to a port on the hub. No joy. The internets and youtubes and the Tascam site all indicate that it should work.

I've used other interfaces with this iPad (Alesis and Presonus) and they work fine. I know the Tascam works because it works like a champ on my laptop with Logic.

I've emailed Tascam for help, but their email is being overhauled and so I thought I'd ask here if anyone had any ideas.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:31 AM

I ran into a similar situation with an Apogee Duet into an IPad Air2. I had to use the wall wart power supply that came with the Duet....and a lightning to mini USB cable (had to order separately from Apogee....did not come with the Duet). The old camera connector USB - Lightning adaptor could not fully power the IPad Air2 properly, so the "Maestro" app for the duet would not recognize the device....and the thing just looked cool....but did nothing:-(. I was also getting a "device requires too much power" warning from the IPad Air2

Once I got the Lightning to mini USB cord from Apogee, all was well. Earlier versions of the IPad would work with the Duet using the Apple lightning-USB camera connector. The IPad Air2 will not. I realize the TASCAM 4x4 is not an Apogee interface....but the rest sounds eerily similar. Hope this helps:-)

Last edited by Les Paul Louie; 07-20-2015 at 10:12 AM. Reason: More info
Old 07-20-2015, 11:53 AM

Awesome! That sounds like it might be the same issue! Did you get an adapter or a cable? I'm seeing lots of these but not much by way of an actual cable.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:49 PM

I ended up having to use an Apogee 1 meter Lightning Cable (Lightning to Mini USB). Ordered it online from the place in Indiana that I got the Duet from;-). It also will charge the IPad Air2 while recording in Auria!!! Basically...it's a pocket studio:-)
Old 07-20-2015, 01:53 PM

Is this the one?
Old 07-21-2015, 10:15 PM

That is the one I used for the Duet. I had to have the wall wart plugged in as well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD