The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-27-2015, 08:42 PM

Default Does anyone use a "reflection shield"

A lot of folks mention how important room treatment is to successful recording, but all of my living space is dedicated to living. I can't dedicate space to recording, so any treatment needs to be temporary.

I have seen things like these:

Has anyone used them to good effect?
Old 06-27-2015, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

What would you use it for? I have a friend who used one for a CD, and it seemed ok, but I didn't hear a without/without comparison. If you're recording guitar, this will only let you do one mic, so presumably mono. Recording in stereo usually sounds far better, depending on how you'll use the track.

To me, I'd go for something like this, which we were just talking about in a different thread:

http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2011/...adband-panels/

cheaper, more flexible, probably gives you better acoustics
Old 06-27-2015, 09:49 PM
Charter Member

About eight years ago I tried a couple of seElectronics reflection shields
http://www.seelectronics.com/reflexion-filter-pro

First, forward addressed mikes won't fit in it in the right location. Second, I thought it colored the guitar sound in a slightly odd way.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-27-2015, 10:15 PM

I find them useful. You need to get a good one that really doesn't have any reflective properties. I don't remember which one I bought, but I tried a few before finding one that really worked.

I've used mine for vocals & for stereo micing a guitar. To be honest, I like it for vocals better as I like a little more room in the guitar tone...but in a less than ideal room it could be a life-saver.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 06-27-2015, 11:37 PM

Wouldn't that be an "absorption" device?

It is the near-field "reflections" one wants to be rid of.

tip for the time or monetarily challenged: laundry can work a treat

*everything* is a tone control
Old 06-28-2015, 04:20 AM

I use an SE device which is now known as the Reflection Filter Pro. Hope my experience helps!

I bought this to tame reflections in my office/recording space in a new house. It worked to some extent but not enough. I then put up some acoustic treatment tiles which tightened up the high room.

Now the reflection filter really does work.

First off, it is very flexible and I have no problems adjusting to get the mic position right; you just have to play around with it a bit.

I use a large diaphragm mic, a Mojave 301 or a Rode N2.

The Mojave is used in an Omni setting and even though it backs up against the reflection filter this is a markedly better sound than in straight cardioid mode.

I have several neighbours who are recording musicians. My only problem with the filter is that they are always borrowing it for vocals!

For vocals it really has an impact. For instruments I am not so sure — acoustic treatment was the most effective thing I did.
Martin J40
Old 06-28-2015, 07:54 AM

When you stop and thing about it, these are supposed to be used on the back side of the mic, its "deaf" side, if you will.

I'm a lot more concerned about a mic picking up the room. That would be sound coming in the "live" or front side of the mic.

The physics just didn't make much sense to me.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 06-28-2015, 10:03 AM

I own one and used it for a time. As I grew more discerning I could hear a strange quality in my recordings whenever I used it - kind of a phasing sound.

I now use packing blankets behind and in front the mic when I want to reduce the ambiance of the room.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

I bought a pair of those about 6 years ago. Tried them a few times. Yuck. Haven't used them since.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:55 AM

I've used one on a hand-held mic boom, directly up against the back and sides of a large diaphragm mic, while recording individual acoustic solos during a live jam in a reflective room. It was beneficial to the recording in that particular situation, but it certainly didn't change it to a studio recording.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
When you stop and thing about it, these are supposed to be used on the back side of the mic, its "deaf" side, if you will.

I'm a lot more concerned about a mic picking up the room. That would be sound coming in the "live" or front side of the mic.

The physics just didn't make much sense to me.

Regards,

Ty Ford
They are designed so that the voice output doesn't go out to the room and then reflect back to the back/side walls and then into the mic.
That's why they don't work particularly well for an acoustic guitar - more of the sound goes 'around' the reflection filter.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 06-30-2015, 04:53 PM
Guitar Gourmet

One of the recording suites in our complex has a vocal booth with a window that is too large, causing reflections. We bought a good reflection shield and tried it out in an effort to improve things. We put it up and did A/B recordings. In the unanimous opinion of five of us engineers, the shield simply added it's own objectionable reflections.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 06-30-2015, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
One of the recording suites in our complex has a vocal booth with a window that is too large, causing reflections. We bought a good reflection shield and tried it out in an effort to improve things. We put it up and did A/B recordings. In the unanimous opinion of five of us engineers, the shield simply added it's own objectionable reflections.

Bob
For a time there was a site with a comparison between a Reflexxion and a pair of OC703 panels rigged up in the same relative position. The comb filtering of the Reflexxion was obvious and not pleasant. The OC703 panels behind the mic actually reduced the room reflection sound and inspired my simple efforts: http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2011/...adband-panels/

The idea of "protecting" the back (and sides) of the mic makes sense when you think about the issues of off-axis frequency response and the degree of attenuation that occurs in a "directional" mic. It's not like the "dead" side is actually not capturing any sound, it's actually only offering some attenuation ... at some frequencies.

And a pair of 4x2 panels are wide enough to filter the output of a guitar noticeably.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 07-01-2015, 12:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post

Bob
This. I've tried several of these and never been impressed.

Another issue is that the foam on these will do a pretty good job absorbing high frequencies, but isn't thick enough to even begin to absorb mid or low frequencies. So the highs go away and everything else builds up and your recordings end up sounding muddy and tubby.

Real room treatment is key and you can DIY it not too expensively. Get some Owens Corning 703 insulation and cover it with whatever breathable fabric you like and hang it in your room. Will work a lot better.

-Mike

Last edited by Mobilemike; 07-02-2015 at 03:09 AM.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobilemike View Post
This. I've tried several of these and never been impressed.

Another issue is that the foam on these will do a pretty good job absorbing high frequencies, but isn't thick enough to even begin to absorb mod or low frequencies. So the highs go away and everything else builds up
and your recordings end up sounding muddy and tubby.

Real room treatment is key and you can DIY it not too expensively. Get some Owens Corning 703 insulation and cover it with whatever breathable fabric you like and hang it in your room. Will work a lot better.

-Mike
As I mentioned earlier, mine only came into its own after the room has been treated. I think some people are just expecting to much from these.
Martin J40

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD