The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-23-2014, 07:34 PM

Default My first guitar

I have had 2 guitar lessons and am searching and researching for a guitar. It is overwhelming the amt. of info on guitars-I am currently using a dreadnought that is way to big for my comfort. Does anyone have a suggestion or two about a good quality beginning guitar under $500.
Thanks
Old 01-23-2014, 07:38 PM

Any Yamaha solid top (their full laminates are quite good as well) are good choices.

With a budget of $500, you have plenty of choices. I, as well as most everyone on this forum, would advise you to go out and play as many as you can and see what YOU like.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:41 PM

I'm also a newbie. I would recommend going to a shop and playing a ton of guitars. You will find a sound that you like and is easy to make a chord. That's the guitar you buy. For me, I like the mellow tones that I can sing over and just bought a used guild d125. All solid mahogany and just under $400.

But don't listen to me. Go find your own preferences! Sadly, since I bought a guitar, does that mean I have to stop shopping?
Old 01-23-2014, 07:41 PM

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Taylor-B...61-i2287996.gc

Those get a lot of love on this forum. In your price range too. Comes with a solid wood top which awesome.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:48 PM

Welcome to the forum Terri.
Yep, you gotta go and try some for size. I would normally recommend a Taylor GS Mini, great little guitar for 500.
I am not sure if you should try and learn on one though, as it may make it difficult to switch to full scale later on.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
I'm also a newbie. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,snip,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Sadly, since I bought a guitar, does that mean I have to stop shopping?
Not around here it doesn't Red.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:10 PM

Congratulations. There's a lot of good guitars out there under $500.

Check out Yamahas, Seagulls, Art and Lutherie.

The Taylor listed above, even Martin has some offerings in that range.

Also there's deal to be had in used, and you can really get a good deal on a $500 used, but if you're new to guitars, maybe a new one would be a little less risky..

Search for beginner guitars, under $500 guitar etc on this forum and get as educated as you can so you can make a great decision.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:29 PM

Welcome! In that price range I'd be trying to find a used Silver Creek OM. I believe they are called the T-160 and T-170. They aren't made anymore, but they're a fantastic value for the money. You might also look at the Taylor Big Baby, the GS Mini, and maybe a used 110 or 114, depending on your stature (the 110 is a dreadnought and bigger than the 114). All would be great options in that price range, especially the GS Mini.

I'm not familiar with their total line, but at $500 you could be creeping up on the price for a used Eastman. They are arguably the nicest "Pacific Rim" guitar out there at the moment.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:38 PM

It has been said to go play some. I agree and if you have a Guitar Center by you not a bad place to have the chance to try many different. In no way a complete sample but normally a decent variety that could help with body type/size.

So I would say play play try try and then tell and ask from your opinions.

I have seen many good brands mentioned I just don't think we are there yet. We have to fit you to a guitar, I mean you have to fit you to what size feels good.
Cordoba Solista CE CD/IN
Cordoba Fusion 14RS
Gibson Les Paul Standard Cherry Sunburst
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe II HoneyBurst
Fender Standard Stratocaster Gold
Fender Standard Telecaster Lake Placid Blue
PRS SE Custom 24 Vintage Burst
Ibanez GRGA 42 TRB
Ibanez GRGA 32 WHT
Ibanez SR300 Grey
Old 01-23-2014, 08:47 PM

I'm sorry, but I totally disagree with the gs mini. Learning on a VERY Short scale guitar may make playing a full scale instrument very difficult - especially for a newbie.

There are lots of choices - too many to list. For a new instrument the big baby, yamaha fs700s, seagull folk and many more.

My favorite under 5 bills is the ibanez ac240opn. A folk or 000 size will probably be a good fit for you. I also agree the a used silver creek is a good (but hard to find) option. Martin also has a 000 with lam sides and back for right at 500 as well.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 01-23-2014, 08:48 PM

Look for a Yamaha FS700S. It is a smaller body guitar with a really sweet sound, a comfortable neck, and very easy to play. They sell for $300.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 01-23-2014, 08:55 PM
G625 mistral-k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri View Post
I have had 2 guitar lessons and am searching and researching for a guitar. It is overwhelming the amt. of info on guitars-I am currently using a dreadnought that is way to big for my comfort. Does anyone have a suggestion or two about a good quality beginning guitar under $500.
Thanks
hi Terri

welcome to AGF! I found the Ibanez AC240 to be a nice concert sized guitar which is shortscale and comfortable to play. it is below your budget and if wait for a sale you can do better than the list price. I put the link below just so you can see what it looks like. There are many other good guitars under $500 which would work as well. The Guild M120 is another nice guitar right in your price range.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...coustic-guitar

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...coustic-guitar

as others have said, go demo them, and take a friend with you who plays guitar and can play the guitar so you to listen to it.

good luck & let us know what you end up with....
Old 01-23-2014, 08:57 PM

Welcome to the forum, Terri!

There will be a lot of recommendations but what I'm most familiar with in the sub-$500 cost and sub-dread size includes two really nice guitars: Yamaha's FS700s and the Ibanez AC240.

The Yamaha is a sub dread size guitar that is very comfortable, very well priced and impeccably made. The nut width is 1 11/16 which is more standard and may be perfect for you but too narrow for many (I have the bigger brother of that Yamaha and its width is what drove me toward wider nut guitars). These have remarkable consistency from copy-to-copy in my experience. You can routinely pick these up for $199 and what you get greatly exceeds what the price would suggest. This is a solid top guitar as well.

The Ibanez AC240 is an absolutely delightful wider nut grand concert sized guitar (a little smaller than a dread) that has either a Khaya or Sapele (I've not been able to figure-out which) solid wood top and Sapele back and sides. These are wonderful tone woods and are called (mahogany) but aren't truly mahogany but are stunning, nonetheless.

Within 8 months of playing, I was already gravitating toward fingerstyle and this guitar fits that bill excellently as the nut width is 1 3/4 which is much easier to navigate for my average-sized fingers. It's also a very nice strummer and has a very bell-like tone. It's loud and articulate. I'm really impressed with the fit and the matt finish is astounding with the open grain. You can get these for under $329 (I used a 20% coupon at GC) and get a case well within your budget. Would leave enough for a proper setup as well (which you should budget for regardless -- yes, it's that important!).

Lotta love on this forum for both of these guitars and others. But...you should play around with as many guitars as you can (even if you only know one chord!) and pay attention to what YOU like and what sounds good to YOU. Pay attention to how crowded different nut widths and neck shapes feel.

Good luck and keep us informed as you go!
Old 01-23-2014, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

Used Tacoma's are a great value and can had for under $500 when you can find them and they were US made and all solid woods. The EM9 series was a great guitar called a 'Little Jumbo'. Great size, tone all day long. I had one for 10 years and just sold it but there are others out there.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:28 PM

Yamaha FS700S is a solid choice. Taylor Big Baby is also (love the GS Mini, but the BB is full scale).

If you go somewhere that carries Blueridge Guitars, try and play a model that ends in "3." All their OOO bodies end in either 2 or 3. Their OOO guitars are very comfortable, and they start around 400.

Edit: If you are in the States, the Yamaha is $200 pretty much everywhere.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion