The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-19-2015, 12:41 PM

Default recommend simple "practice recorder"

Maybe what I'm describing is not much above the cassette players of yesteryear. But please recommend a stand-alone recorder that has built in speaker, suitable for laying down acoustic backing tracks to play over, and save. Doesn't need to be small, just convenient, such as needing no external plug-in anythings, except to electrical outlet! (And what's it even called these days?) Thanks!
Old 07-19-2015, 01:11 PM

It may be a challenge finding a recorder with a useful built-in speaker. The quality of digital recorders is way beyond cassette range but digital recorders are rather earphone oriented. My Zoom H6 has a built-in speaker but I don't think I could hear it to play along ... just tried it and basically my guitar drowns out the sound coming from the speaker, so playing along isn't happening.

When I want this capability I use a pair of open back headphones to listen to my guide track.

Perhaps one of the units sold as a voice recorder or dictation recorder will meet your needs. If so, they are quite reasonable in cost. I did a search for "digital recorder with speaker" and several inexpensive voice recorders popped up.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 07-19-2015, 01:24 PM

A smart phone and an earbud.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHS View Post
Maybe what I'm describing is not much above the cassette players of yesteryear. But please recommend a stand-alone recorder that has built in speaker, suitable for laying down acoustic backing tracks to play over, and save. Doesn't need to be small, just convenient, such as needing no external plug-in anythings, except to electrical outlet! (And what's it even called these days?) Thanks!
Suggestions might need to be somewhat tempered by what your budget is, but I've been on this chase, too. There's not much out there that meets your exact specifications, but If you want to simply record a backing track and play it back as a practice aid many of the small handhelds (such as the Zoom H1 / <$100) in combination with a portable speaker will meet your needs. I HIGHLY recommend the Creative D100 at $40, which comes with an A.C. adapter, can run off batteries (for a long time...) and works by simply plugging a small patch cable into the back. It works great as a Bluetooth wireless speaker, but you don't need to use that option.

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-D100-.../dp/B003N9SR00

If you can bump your budget up to $300 for a recorder it doesn't get much easier (or better) than the Zoom R8. The R8 operates very much like a simple cassette machine, but it sure doesn't sound like one. You can overdub multiple parts and set loop points easily to use as a practice aid, but it's way more than that if you need increased capabilities.

You can get an idea of how this type of recorder can be used by visiting my "Simple Homestyle Recording" page:

http://www.bluestemstrings.com/pageRecording1.html
Old 07-20-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
If you can bump your budget up to $300 for a recorder it doesn't get much easier (or better) than the Zoom R8. The R8 operates very much like a simple cassette machine, but it sure doesn't sound like one. You can overdub multiple parts and set loop points easily to use as a practice aid, but it's way more than that if you need increased capabilities.
Thank you Rudy and Fran. Although I (thought I!) wasn't planning on spending $300 for my practice needs, looks like the Zoom R8 is also something I should grow into for DIY "shareable" online recording. And nice tutorial websites, both, thanks.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:06 PM

Do you have an iPhone or an iPad? There are lots of very good recording apps.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post
Do you have an iPhone or an iPad? There are lots of very good recording apps.
Have never had a smart phone, so far, and hope I never will. Do have an iPod (not pad) that I'm not sure what to do with, except for the camera. Thanks.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Thank you Rudy and Fran. Although I (thought I!) wasn't planning on spending $300 for my practice needs, looks like the Zoom R8 is also something I should grow into for DIY "shareable" online recording. And nice tutorial websites, both, thanks.
Meaning I'm ordering the R8, if not clear from above.
Old 07-20-2015, 04:00 PM

Sweetwater has a great deal on the Roland Mobile BA. For just under 100 you can plug your digital recorder into it, and your guitar and mic if you want and play along. Runs on 6 AA batteries so you can take it outside and not be held to an AC outlet. Plenty of volume, ( think Roland Micro Cube) but in a smaller package.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:55 PM

Hi,

a little above your budget but, since you upped the anty

https://youtu.be/g_9B10V9SFk

I was in your predicament, I havent learned to use it yet, so the audio is not that great...but gives you a basic understanding
Old 07-20-2015, 05:58 PM

I asked because for about $20 you could install Harmonic Dog's 8-track Multitrack DAW on your iPod and for $12 you could buy an iRig and call it a day.

At any rate, enjoy the R8!

Quote:
Have never had a smart phone, so far, and hope I never will. Do have an iPod (not pad) that I'm not sure what to do with, except for the camera. Thanks.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:53 PM

I picked up a small bluetooth speaker (Sharkk) from Amazon sometime ago and use it not only for my iPad, but also as an output for a Tascam recorder.

When I'm outside, the iPad speaker just doesn't cut it, but this speaker allows me to do lessons, listen, etc. to the iPad. the Tascam needs to be connected with a speaker wire, but that's easy enough. The speaker is multi input: USB; bluetooth and wired.

My only gripe is that the design is so clean, it's pretty easy to forget how to access functions - but if you press enough buttons, it always seems to work. the speaker charges from the USB and plays for a very long time.

Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Port.../dp/B00GZ5E29O

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD