The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-12-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post

Regarding a direct answer to the tone and phrasing, the nuances of that are in the passion that directs it into the hands. This assumes the hands can rise to the challenge.

I don’t disagree with any of what you have said - passion is what drives the desire to get it right.

With regards the hands rising to the challenge - this is where the issue of heavy duty nerves rears its ugly head in the form of shakes and tension. Passion or no passion, this will kill a performance..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 01-12-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
I don’t disagree with any of what you have said - passion is what drives the desire to get it right.

With regards the hands rising to the challenge - this is where the issue of heavy duty nerves rears its ugly head in the form of shakes and tension. Passion or no passion, this will kill a performance..
Ha! Yes, stage phantoms and gremlins are always ready to leap from the shadows and steal your nerve. I've seen many a player close his eyes to them and find sanctuary in the passion, though, where phantoms and gremlins cannot enter. My very first audience (ladies in a laundromat) guarded me with mothering encouragement. By that they gifted me more than I could ever have given them. I think all new players should play at PTA meetings or some other gathering of moms to learn their stage chops.

There was a true mom/pop music store in a little town in Kentucky called Knit-Pickers. She knitted and taught it, he picked and taught that. On my lunch hour I would go there and play one of his classical guitars and while away the hour just noodling. After some time passed her classes started getting bigger and she told me it was because the ladies were signing up for the free concerts every day. I suddenly felt under the microscope. But, I reasoned it out that I was just a PA system playing in the background and got over myself. I continued my noon visits and had fun with it. It did make me practice up more, though.

On Saturdays local players would gather at noon and have a jam circle. Each person would take a turn with the lead while others held down the rhythm. That was another chance to break out the confidence and polish it up some.

The exposure to informal live situations like jam circles whittles away at the anxiousness to where its very negotiable. It doesn't leave altogether.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
Ha! Yes, stage phantoms and gremlins are always ready to leap from the shadows and steal your nerve. I've seen many a player close his eyes to them and find sanctuary in the passion, though, where phantoms and gremlins cannot enter. My very first audience (ladies in a laundromat) guarded me with mothering encouragement. By that they gifted me more than I could ever have given them. I think all new players should play at PTA meetings or some other gathering of moms to learn their stage chops.

There was a true mom/pop music store in a little town in Kentucky called Knit-Pickers. She knitted and taught it, he picked and taught that. On my lunch hour I would go there and play one of his classical guitars and while away the hour just noodling. After some time passed her classes started getting bigger and she told me it was because the ladies were signing up for the free concerts every day. I suddenly felt under the microscope. But, I reasoned it out that I was just a PA system playing in the background and got over myself. I continued my noon visits and had fun with it. It did make me practice up more, though.

On Saturdays local players would gather at noon and have a jam circle. Each person would take a turn with the lead while others held down the rhythm. That was another chance to break out the confidence and polish it up some.

The exposure to informal live situations like jam circles whittles away at the anxiousness to where its very negotiable. It doesn't leave altogether.

Love the Knit pickers - what a concept!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write