The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-28-2008, 10:35 PM

-Well, here goes. I forgot the camera when I went to my Dad's to thickness the bone to slightly oversized and radius the top. This was actually kind of fun to do. Here's some pics.

http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a99.../New%20Saddle/

L8R,
Matt D.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:29 AM

Nicely done Matt.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:27 PM

-Thanks. Now if I could get the hang of taking close-up pics with this camera. They're a bit blurry and I know it takes better ones than that.

L8R,
Matt D.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:48 PM

-Well, here are the final pics. I finished the saddle last night and now have it installed in my guitar. I used a set of jeweler's files to get the angles on it for intonation. I copied the stock plastic saddle to get them. Everything went great. After I was done, I went over the saddle with some 600 grit paper to give it a final smoothing. I must say it looks good. The tone is different too. Not quite as bright as the stock plastic one or the Tusq. It's sounds just a wee bit warmer but with nice overtones in it. I'd say not counting the time it took cleaning and prepping the bone, it took about 3 hours to get it done. First rough cutting a blank, then thickness sanding and radiusing the top, then final fitting and intonating. In the pics with both saddles, the bone saddle is the whiter one. The yellow one is the plastic saddle.

http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a99...le%20Part%202/

L8R,
Matt D.

Last edited by AnthemBassMan; 01-30-2008 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:03 AM

An old thread I found interesting.

I was camping in Utah a few years ago and a recent storm had uncovered some treasures next to the stream that I'd set up my tent near. I found many ancient grinding stones used for both food preparation and for making other tools, and also some old animal bones that might have been hundreds of years old. I'm going to make some saddles and nuts from one of the old bones I found. The piece I have looks like a large piece that came from a much larger piece of bone - probably from a big leg bone. Don't know what animal it could be from. Something fairly big - at least a deer. Maybe a mountain goat or even a bison.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion