The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-10-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
I would have tried sanding down to the top, nothing to loose. I built a ukulele for some people and two days before I was going to give it to them the top got damage as the bridge was being put on. I told them I could not give it to them and will have to put a new top on it. Showed them the uke and explained the damage and explained if the sound hole was big enough I could have repaired it. It was not really apparent from the outside but I could not guarantee the long term health of the instrument so off comes the top.
Well when the stiffness of the plate is a function of the cube of its thickness, even a miniscule amount sanded could make a big difference in the plate stiffness with the lighter builds, and thus the tone of the guitar may not be what was expected, or discussed...
Old 01-10-2018, 10:39 PM

I would have to assume that Joel is not doing this as a make work project ... lol ... he is also now working out of Montreal, so has his hands full with his new surroundings and his current projects. As he is recommending this course of action, enough wood material was removed when stripping the finish that it was significant enough to be of a concern to him. (by the way, he seems pretty stoked working with all the other luthiers in his new digs. I'm interested to see some of the work he will complete while in Montreal).

As noted previously, Joel has an interesting sense of humour. When our finish issues came up, the bridge had been attached while he was still in Calgary. Since his photographer was in Calgary, and he was about to go off to Montreal, he decided to do a quick Mock Up of the build for some finished shots which he did not think he could do in Montreal after refinishing.

So ... just the other day he decided to forward some of the images he had taken. I guess he thought my seeing the finished guitar would lift my spirits some after telling me about the re-topping ... Haha. I was going to wait until the final product was strung up, but thought posting a few pics of what the finished product is going to look like, would indeed lift my spirits a bit.

2018 Michaud OO-R
2012 Webber Dreadnaught *SOLD*
2010 Eastman E20OM
1994 Guild D30
1979 Yamaha FG375S (retired)
1974 Norman B30 (retired)
Old 01-11-2018, 08:35 AM

That’s beautiful! After I saw your back and side set, I asked him if he had any more and, unfortunately, he didn’t. It’s going to be an amazing instrument.

I had a setback on a build early last year when a defective truss rod broke as the builder was adding a bit more relief - I was there taking delivery! It was deflating for both of us. But we decided to turn it into an opportunity - we’d been discussing doing French polish (which I had backed away from as the durability scares me) and decided to refinish the top with French polish. It set the process back, but we were ultimately both really satisfied with the result. Setbacks expose true character and this builder handled it with absolute class and exceptional character. In many ways, the guitar means more to me as a result of it.

In truth, the process is a huge part of the fun - especially with a guy like Joel. So, while this is a really unfortunate setback, he’s going to make it right and you get to enjoy his wonderful antics for a few more months!

I’m actually anticipating the delivery of my Michaud O-R today and, while I can’t wait to have it, it’s always a little bittersweet that the process is over. Looks like I’ll need to order another one!

Again, I’m sorry for your setback.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:07 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettWilliams View Post
I’m actually anticipating the delivery of my Michaud O-R today and, while I can’t wait to have it, it’s always a little bittersweet that the process is over. Looks like I’ll need to order another one!
If you could post some pics of your Michaud I would love to see them, Joel's been doing some interesting work of late.

And ... you can never have too many guitars

2018 Michaud OO-R
2010 Eastman E20OM
1994 Guild D30
Old 01-13-2018, 09:55 AM

So sorry to hear about that Ian! On a positive note, that is one beautiful guitar, and even more so in person. Do keep us posted on the progress, and a Michaud is always worth the wait

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 01-13-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBKuz View Post
If you could post some pics of your Michaud I would love to see them, Joel's been doing some interesting work of late.

And ... you can never have too many guitars
+1 on this!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 01-18-2018, 11:49 AM

Talking

Well, Joel has started the re-topping of my guitar and has sent me a few pics of the work.

Not the pic you would normally want to see from your luthier, but it has to be done -

The rosette removed and sitting on the new top. From this pic showing off the medullar rays, the top should be a good replacement for the original -

And the rosette reinstalled in the new top -

Must say, luthiers need nerves of steel to do some of the work required on a build. Not exactly the same yet similar to what a surgeon needs to do. Well, now onto bracing again

2018 Michaud OO-R
2010 Eastman E20OM
1994 Guild D30
Old 01-21-2018, 11:21 AM

What a bummer Ian... but the re-installation looks great!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 01-21-2018, 04:55 PM

Ian, the first top looked great, but this one looks even better!
Old 01-21-2018, 06:27 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
Ian, the first top looked great, but this one looks even better!
Can't disagree with this. Joel said they're very similar, though this second one might be a bit cleaner visually. I told him I think I got the long end of the stick in this deal.

With no wood going to waste, the original has gone on the wood burning pile. Joel says this original will now be warming Joshia De Jonge's house

2018 Michaud OO-R
2010 Eastman E20OM
1994 Guild D30
Old 01-22-2018, 11:21 PM

Such impressive work by Joel.
Old 01-25-2018, 02:49 PM

Joel has closed up the body again, added the binding back along the top, and getting this ready to ship to the finisher again. A couple quick pics before handing over to the shipper

2018 Michaud OO-R
2010 Eastman E20OM
1994 Guild D30
Old 01-25-2018, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

I’m surprised he went stringless on this one. I always thought stringed guitars had much better tone.
Old 01-25-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
I’m surprised he went stringless on this one. I always thought stringed guitars had much better tone.
Making a statement.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:42 PM

Oh relief, at least you are back to kind of where it was. Hopefully no finish issue this time, I am sure it will be perfect!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop