The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-11-2017, 12:06 AM
Charter Member

Default Amp smells like Cigar

How to get rid of Cigar smell from an Amp?
Old 05-11-2017, 12:45 AM

Clean and

Old 05-11-2017, 06:02 AM
Charter Member

I've had some success with activated charcoal (like used in aquariums) in a mesh bag and enclosing the amp with is (a large trash bag has worked). Put the charcoal bag and amp together in the larger enclosure for a day or two and that should help. I played a cigar gig last fall and had to discover this myself. I'm a cigar fan, but will didn't like the smell of the equipment afterwards!
Old 05-11-2017, 06:32 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Mahn!

Dat be de mojo! Dat be de stank! Don' let de mojo out of daht ahmp!

What wrong wit you?

Bahb

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-11-2017, 06:34 AM
Charter Member

Any of your buddies Deer hunt and have an Ozonics ozone generator? That will kill the smell.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 05-12-2017, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

I've never had an amp with smoke smell but I've had smoky guitars before and had this link bookmarked. It might be of help to you.

Rob

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...ighlight=smell
Old 05-13-2017, 07:18 AM
Guitar Gourmet

For my first twenty-five years of my playing career I didn't own a single amp that didn't smell like cigarette smoke. It was, as one would expect, exacerbated by the heat of the tubes. But that be the stank.

Bob

Old 05-13-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
For my first twenty-five years of my playing career I didn't own a single amp that didn't smell like cigarette smoke. It was, as one would expect, exacerbated by the heat of the tubes. But that be the stank...
For the first twenty years of my playing, the only electric-guitar amp I owned was the '64 Ampeg Rocket (top-panel/no 'verb) I bought brand-new when I graduated elementary school...

Had the most wonderful smell (and tone) when I took it out of the box and fired it up for the first time...

Never smoked, made sure to keep it away from heavy-drinking bandmates, kept it covered when not in use...

Placed it in semi-retirement when I bought/modded my Bugera V22 a few years ago (gets the same characteristic Ampeg "big clean" but louder/more headroom, more like a Gemini II/B-12XT)...

Still pull it out every so often for old-times' sake, and to make sure everything's still sonically/electronically up to snuff (pun intended)...

Still gives off that wonderful, inimitable Ampeg aroma when the tubes get warm, just in a mellower, more mature version - think 10-year-old versus 25-year-old bottle of your favorite single malt...

That's mojo...
Old 05-13-2017, 08:33 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Yep. My old Gretsch 6150T and my old Traynor YRM-1 Reverbmaster are the same - I love the smell of tube amps in the morning! We are talking hot glue, tolex, paint, and components. An EPA delight!

Bob

Old 05-13-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
I've had some success with activated charcoal (like used in aquariums) in a mesh bag and enclosing the amp with is (a large trash bag has worked). Put the charcoal bag and amp together in the larger enclosure for a day or two and that should help. I played a cigar gig last fall and had to discover this myself. I'm a cigar fan, but will didn't like the smell of the equipment afterwards!
+1. I bought a guitar once from an undisclosed chain smoker (no offense to you smokers out there). The guy felt bad, he was a good guy. It was his first forum sale and he just didn't think to mention that he smoked two packs a day (while playing). Ok that's a slight exaggeration, but it makes a good story. Took months and lots of effort to get the smell out, but the charcoal definitely helped. There was still a little telltale odor, but at least it didn't smell like a full ashtray anymore.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Walk in Song View Post
Clean and

The sad fact is that Fabreze doesn't get rid of anything...except your sense of smell. The active ingredient shuts down most of the aroma sensors in your nasal tract and may permanently damage your sense of smell. The worst case scenario is that it may well be carcenogenic.

Meanwhile the perfumes used to mask the original odor targeted can cause severe asthmatic distress. This stuff is TOXIC.

Go for the suggested ozone generator cure.

Theory is the post mortem of Music.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

So I am guessing the old smuggler's crate for Cuban cigars is out, for storing my Supro

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 05-13-2017, 03:35 PM

I've gotten smoke smell out of fabric by hanging it out on the back porch for a few days of fresh air. Might help.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 05-21-2017, 04:26 PM

Not exactly the same issue, but my new Gretsch came from Japan and there's a strong scent, like a rose, in the case. Can't have it anywhere in the house, my wife can't tolerate such scents. How I wish I could get this case odour-free..it stays in the unheated shed and after 3 month still smells like a flower factory. I've managed to lesson smoke smell from cases to a good extent by leaving the case outside in the summer for most of the day, praying the birds will be off-target...
Old 05-21-2017, 05:46 PM

Default Amp smells like Cigar...

You make that sound like a bad thing

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars