The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-11-2016, 09:25 AM

Question Finger calluses

I was wondering, since I can only go about 15 mins. Before my finger tips scream, and then it's off to bed then work, would jabbing my thumb nail into my finger tips during the day simulate strings, and therefore build up calloused faster?
2008 Ibanez "strat" style.
Old 11-11-2016, 02:18 PM

Tried it, didn't work.
Neither did rubbing alcohol or witches hazel.
Super Glue works but you lose all sense of touch in the fingertips.
If you play long enough the calluses will harden and then gradually become softer again. (weird)
I try for 2 hours per day but it is broken down into 10-20 min intense workouts.
Busy life and all...15 min per day is simply not enough.
Find some more lost hidden minutes to use.
Old 11-11-2016, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myvalk View Post
I was wondering, since I can only go about 15 mins. Before my finger tips scream, and then it's off to bed then work, would jabbing my thumb nail into my finger tips during the day simulate strings, and therefore build up calloused faster?
Do you have a capo? If you do, and it's easier to play with the capo on, then you need a nut re-set. An over high nut will make anyone's fingers sore. If you don't have one try and borrow one. It might help. Lighter gauge strings will also make playing easier, but try a capo first.
Old 11-11-2016, 03:57 PM

You just have to keep at it. Eventually, the calluses will form and your endurance will build up a ton. No real easy way around it!
Old 11-11-2016, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanron View Post
Do you have a capo? If you do, and it's easier to play with the capo on, then you need a nut re-set. An over high nut will make anyone's fingers sore. If you don't have one try and borrow one. It might help. Lighter gauge strings will also make playing easier, but try a capo first.
I have a few capos and just got super slinky strings (new guitar, came with medium strings)
I'll restring it AND use the capo and see where we go. And as Cameron said, I'll keep at it.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:01 PM

Good luck.
Old 11-12-2016, 05:29 AM

Quote:
I have a few capos and just got super slinky strings (new guitar, came with medium strings)
I'll restring it AND use the capo and see where we go. And as Cameron said, I'll keep at it.
I'm pretty much in your same situation. I only recently returned to playing guitar after a couple of years off, and I was surprised how long it took to get both hands reconditioned. It took a couple of months to get my right hand nails to the proper length, and my left hand callouses are building up very slowly. I had to replace the medium strings on my guitar with lights in order to play for even 10 minutes. Now, I play in 15-minute spurts, usually while waiting for my wife to do something (get dressed, feed the dogs, etc). I look forward to the day when I can play for hours on end again.
Old 11-12-2016, 06:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
Tried it, didn't work.
Neither did rubbing alcohol or witches hazel.
Super Glue works but you lose all sense of touch in the fingertips.
If you play long enough the calluses will harden and then gradually become softer again. (weird)
I try for 2 hours per day but it is broken down into 10-20 min intense workouts.
Busy life and all...15 min per day is simply not enough.
Find some more lost hidden minutes to use.
All this is true. They gradually get pretty hard, and then the thickness tends to be between the bone and top skin.

I don't "practivce" much nowadays - three hours with that boys on Wednesday, then my club Thursdays, plus any rare gigs, but some weeks I don't touch a guitar for a week!

Free advice - don't spend an hour in the swimming pool on the day of a gig!
Old 11-12-2016, 08:08 AM

"Free advice - don't spend an hour in the swimming pool on the day of a gig!"

And stop doing the washing up
Old 11-12-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:

First thing is to make sure your guitar is setup properly - Nut hight, neck relief, bridge height are the main things there.

Then, if you're using 9's and the guitar is setup right you really shouldn't have problems after a couple of weeks playing an hour ish a day, as said earlier, your fingertips will go soft again and you won't have problems, unless you play for many hours a day, they'll always be a bit beaten up if you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2016, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

I would say you need to vary your routine a bit to see what works for you - we are not all the same. This could involve skipping a day to give your fingers chance to settle down, or breaking your practice into smaller sessions, but 15 mins is not very long anyway.

If you have taken the advice above and tried a capo, had your guitar set-up if needed and still have problems I wonder what strings you have on as some people are allergic to nickel.

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 11-14-2016, 12:28 PM

Unhappy

Thanks ALL for your replies, answers, and suggestions.
I could kick myself when I think what could have been if I didn't quit years ago. :-(
Old 11-14-2016, 12:43 PM

It takes time to build hard callouses ... lots of time. You really have to just tough it out. If your guitar isn't properly set up it'll take a toll on your fingers, too, so you should take steps to get that right.

While I was working my day job my callouses were thin ... I had little time for music. Been retired since 2009 ... and now, between gigs, rehearsals, and practice I spend many hours each week playing (20+), and rarely have any fingertip pain. My callouses are very well developed.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
What you need is a pocket guitar.
It'll not only develop callouses but also lets you practice notes and chords.

Old 11-14-2016, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Less calluses when using coated strings. If not already using them give them a try. I like Elixir strings.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write