The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-30-2015, 09:47 AM

Default Interesting pickup ideas - need suggestions

Hey all,

So I have a Martin 000-15M that I'm absolutely crazy about that needs some amplification. Currently, I have another dread set up with a LR Baggs M1A all drilled out, the whole nine. I like the ability to be able to remove the M1A from the guitar, however I DESPISE the noise that it makes while rattling around the inside of the guitar. I'm trying my best to avoid this on the 00015M. So my idea is this:

Order a tapastring jack, which will fit the existing endpin hole. Solder this to the M1A's output jack, which in itself is detachable from the pickup itself (it connects with a 3.5mm cable). This would leave me with the jack connectable to the pickup fitted in the guitar. So how do I create a rig where the cable stays stationary inside the guitar? Have any of you solved the problem?

The alternate route would be to go with a K&K Pure Mini with the tapastring, however I'm still concerned with the cable connecting the pickup to the jack rattling around inside the guitar. Is this a problem for any you Pure Mini users?

Lastly - does any company make an endpin for an acoustic guitar that has already been drilled out for a 1/4" output jack? As in converting a guitar with a pickup back into a guitar that just has a plastic endpin.

I apologize if any of this doesn't make any sense!
Thanks!
Old 04-30-2015, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

A lot of pickups, including the K&K come with small, lightweight wire clips that hold the cable in place inside your guitar. You simply stick the clip onto one of the guitar's braces and fasten the cable to it, and it keeps everything from rattling around. These wire clips would work for either pickup.

Lots of companies do sell oversized endpin jacks. Stew Mac has a few cheaper ones, and Bob Colosi has some nicer ones made out of bone or wood.

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_...ak_Endpin.html
http://www.guitarsaddles.com/Plugs.asp

-Mike
Old 04-30-2015, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm86 View Post
Hey all,

So I have a Martin 000-15M that I'm absolutely crazy about that needs some amplification. Currently, I have another dread set up with a LR Baggs M1A all drilled out, the whole nine. I like the ability to be able to remove the M1A from the guitar, however I DESPISE the noise that it makes while rattling around the inside of the guitar. I'm trying my best to avoid this on the 00015M. So my idea is this:

Order a tapastring jack, which will fit the existing endpin hole. Solder this to the M1A's output jack, which in itself is detachable from the pickup itself (it connects with a 3.5mm cable). This would leave me with the jack connectable to the pickup fitted in the guitar. So how do I create a rig where the cable stays stationary inside the guitar? Have any of you solved the problem?

The alternate route would be to go with a K&K Pure Mini with the tapastring, however I'm still concerned with the cable connecting the pickup to the jack rattling around inside the guitar. Is this a problem for any you Pure Mini users?

Lastly - does any company make an endpin for an acoustic guitar that has already been drilled out for a 1/4" output jack? As in converting a guitar with a pickup back into a guitar that just has a plastic endpin.

I apologize if any of this doesn't make any sense!
Thanks!
Hi arm…

I'd opt for a K&K with the standard sized jack. You will not devalue the guitar (not a 00015M) by installing a proper jack. It's not a rare guitar nor a collector item.

With standard ¼" jacks you don't have to order special cables, or build your own cables. And if you decide to move up to a dual source rig, if it's a K&K pickup, it's prewired for it from K&K.

Pickups in the 1970s were 3.5mm jacks (⅛"), and they were fragile and susceptible to failure.

And to keep an internal cable quiet, use double stick tape and attach it to the side or a brace.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-30-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi arm…

I'd opt for a K&K with the standard sized jack. You will not devalue the guitar (not a 00015M) by installing a proper jack. It's not a rare guitar nor a collector item.

With standard ¼" jacks you don't have to order special cables, or build your own cables. And if you decide to move up to a dual source rig, if it's a K&K pickup, it's prewired for it from K&K.

Pickups in the 1970s were 3.5mm jacks (⅛"), and they were fragile and susceptible to failure.

And to keep an internal cable quiet, use double stick tape and attach it to the side or a brace.

Can the Pure mini handle volume okay? I'm looking for something to use for gigs through a Fishman SA2000. Also - is it crucial I get the version of the pickup with the volume wheel attachment? Most things I'm reading indicate you should use a pre amp with the pure mini, so wouldn't that have your volume needs met there?
Old 04-30-2015, 03:02 PM

+1 K&K Pure Mini!

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 04-30-2015, 03:17 PM

Talking

I thought this was a dating thread....
Old 04-30-2015, 03:29 PM

I installed K and K in my GS mini. Per the instructions ii just twisted the cable and it keeps it from rattling around inside of the guitar. Works great, but for volume control I would get a Taylor V cable, has the volume built right in.
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha AC1M
Yamaha FSX800C
Old 04-30-2015, 06:47 PM

Location: Central Va, really, 4 miles from geographical center of the state

You come here often?
Can I get you a drink?
Have we met before?
Ohhh, never mind.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification