The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-30-2015, 06:46 AM

Default Soundclip, Takamine Ct4dx and Triax

Here is a short demo of how the Ct4dx preamp with a palathetic pickup sounds combined with a Triax. The Triax is just slightly dialed in to add some warmth and remove quack. I´m very happy with this live tone I get. Running through a fishman spectrum di without any images. Just dialed out some bass and added some treble. The guitar is a Takamine P6jc.

What do you think?

Old 04-30-2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbeck View Post
Here is a short demo of how the Ct4dx preamp with a palathetic pickup sounds combined with a Triax. r is a Takamine P6jc.

What do you think?
Sounds like an amplified acoustic should! Would be interesting to hear each pickup on its own for comparison.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:18 AM

The ctdx4 is interesting in that it uses an 18v power supply (two 9v batteries in series). That no doubt helps to diminish quackiness somewhat.

I find your directly recorded strumming sound to be a tad brittle, but nevertheless appealing. Its sounds darn good for a directly recorded UST with a little mag blended in.

It should also be noted that the Triax is the Baggs M1 (of a different color) and that the M1 is top responsive from about 700Hz and on up. Perhaps that's why your signal seems to have a little soundboard pickup blended in.

Last edited by guitaniac; 04-30-2015 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Sounds great and something that will work either solo or full band setting.

I've tried all kinds of pickups on all kinds of guitars and have been the happiest with my Takamine Cool Tube + Triax setups. They sound great plugged in and a great ease of use is also nice on the fly. Don't think it's the most natural sound I've had but way warmer than a straight UST. In the mix they sound awesome.

It just plain works on a lot of levels and has kept me from searching & searching.

Acoustically they are nice but nothing special, I use these for live use and gig a bunch.

I have some home guitars that I play or record with and they are my favorites but the Taks work extremely well for all kinds of live situations.
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 05-01-2015, 02:21 AM

Thanks for your comments and taking the time to listen!

I haven´t spent that much time with the tri ax. Just got it yesterday. So it may have been a lithe brittle. I might have boosted the highs too much.

Actually the Fishman aura works really well and in the same way. You should just use it the slightly dial out some quack of the piezo. When I a/b the tri ax and the spectrum I can´t decide which to go with. But I kinda like the idea that tha tri-ax and piezo is all natural and that the good tone is coming directly from the guitar.
So if I only bring my guitar I just need a Di from the sound guy and I´ll be set.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification