The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-29-2015, 01:00 PM

Default K&K Trinity system and superglue

Just received my K&K Trinity to install in my new Martin. Reading the instructions, they speak to attaching the small pick ups with either two sided tape or superglue. Goes on to give advantages/disadvantages of each stating that using the tape results in a 30% volume loss.

Really cannot warm up to superglueing anything to this guitar. Any real-world users who want to chime in here?
Old 04-29-2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm Williams View Post
Just received my K&K Trinity to install in my new Martin. Reading the instructions, they speak to attaching the small pick ups with either two sided tape or superglue. Goes on to give advantages/disadvantages of each stating that using the tape results in a 30% volume loss.

Really cannot warm up to superglueing anything to this guitar. Any real-world users who want to chime in here?
If you want optimum performance, you won't get it with doublestick tape. The coupling of SBTs to the bridgeplate is paramount for the best tone & volume.

When I do SBT installs, I use a medium viscosity CA glue, not the gel that K&K supplies/supplied. I also have jigs that allow me to clamp each piezo, rather than relying on finger pressure. I also spray some accelerator on a piece of paper towel, and treat the bridgeplate before an install.

BTW, the CA glue I use is Gorilla brand, "rubber toughened". Available at nearly any hardware store.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:14 PM

It does seem to be counterproductive to install it in a less than optimum manner. Thank you
Old 04-29-2015, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Even with superglue, you can remove the pickup if you need to by gently working a razor blade between the pickup and bridgeplate, which will pop off the pickup.

I've installed K&K's in 5 guitars now; vintage, modern, and everything between, and always used superglue. IMO, if you are going through the effort of having and installing a pickup in your guitar, its not worth it to inhibit the full potential sound of that pickup by not installing it as recommended.

-Mike
Old 04-29-2015, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Hi Tomm…
I have 4 guitars with K&K dual source systems, and they are all SuperGlued into my guitars.

I asked my luthier about it, and he said "If I can remove a bridge, and recement it so you can't tell the work was ever done without damaging your guitar, those three little sensors can be removed without damage in 5 minutes with a razor blade without damaging your guitar."

Since he had removed and recemented the bridge on my best guitar, I had him superglue the K&K in. Glad I did…

Since then I've heard two taped in K&K rigs, and they both sound pretty ugly, underpowered, nasal, and not what I'd call natural (even with a decent external preamp). One ditched his in favor of an undersaddle system, the other glued his K&K in and is now happy with it.

You will not damage nor devalue your guitar by supergluing the sensors in.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-29-2015, 01:23 PM

You need to use superglue. The double tape options is purely for marketing purposes, in my opinion, to cater to the vintage preservation crowd. They used to actually package the superglue in the box. That is, until they had a shipment of glue ruined due to cold temps.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:29 PM

Well after all it is on the inside of the body, not like anyone will ever see it. Once I install it, I cannot imagine why I would remove it unless it completely failed.

Just thinking superglue and new Martin in the same breath...................
Old 04-29-2015, 11:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well after all it is on the inside of the body, not like anyone will ever see it. Once I install it, I cannot imagine why I would remove it unless it completely failed.

Just thinking superglue and new Martin in the same breath...................
Well Tomm…

Your guitar has a lot of glue inside it already. And it all serves a specific purpose.

Three dabs more will serve you very well…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-30-2015, 04:56 AM

The thought of gluing something on my guitar used to drive me crazy. Used many options to avoid it. My last guitar I had the builder glue in a K&K, watched him do it. Not a big deal, and now I just heard it on a Utube recording that my electric player posts after each Sunday to see where we can improve. Best acoustic sound I have ever had. Don't over think it, I did for a long time.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification