The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-28-2015, 06:45 AM
Charter Member

Default Solutions for powering pedals with different AC requirements?

I run a fairly simple pedal setup. I use a Vocalist Live 3, a Ditto Looper, and keep my wireless mic receiver on the board as well since it runs into the Vocalist Live 3.

I like to keep things as neat and clean as possible, but I'm running into a pain in the butt issue with AC cords. Each of my pedals requires a different power adapter. I believe they're all different voltage, but I'd have to double check to be sure. I don't know much about power, so maybe there is a solution to this I'm unaware of?

I have one of the "One Spot" AC adapters, but it doesn't work for my setup. Any and all suggestions appreciated! I'm even down to try and built my own configuration if it will allow me to easily hide/wire the AC cords.

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'09 Craig Anderson/Burlington Guitars B-2 Custom
'01 Martin DX-1
'00 Fender Stratocaster (Midnight Blue)

facebook.com/whitneyborisenok
Old 04-28-2015, 07:16 AM

Get yourself a VooDoo Labs Pedal Power 2 Plus. You'll n3her use a One Spot again.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbpark View Post
Get yourself a VooDoo Labs Pedal Power 2 Plus. You'll n3her use a One Spot again.
Hmm....with that, I could built my own board and mount it underneath. Drill a couple of holes for the cords, pretty it up, and I'm in business. Thanks for the suggestion!

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'01 Martin DX-1

Old 04-28-2015, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wborisenok View Post
I run a fairly simple pedal setup. I use a Vocalist Live 3, a Ditto Looper, and keep my wireless mic receiver on the board as well since it runs into the Vocalist Live 3.

I like to keep things as neat and clean as possible, but I'm running into a pain in the butt issue with AC cords. Each of my pedals requires a different power adapter. I believe they're all different voltage, but I'd have to double check to be sure. I don't know much about power, so maybe there is a solution to this I'm unaware of?

I have one of the "One Spot" AC adapters, but it doesn't work for my setup. Any and all suggestions appreciated! I'm even down to try and built my own configuration if it will allow me to easily hide/wire the AC cords.
hi wb…

I own an MXR Power Brick which dispenses many different voltages (9v, 12-15v@250ma, 18v etc) via 10 outlets on it. It will not however provide power to Shure wireless receivers with their proprietary tip (unless I build one for it).

Your options include either proprietary power supplies, batteries, or a unified power supply unit (your One Spot or a Brick)…or in some cases a combination of the three.

Your Ditto looper which takes only a power supply is a pain in the rear. I've opted for batteries on stage for every preamp or pedal I use for the past few years. It's simpler.

Unfortunately, some gear uses 110-120v power from a wall outlet.

It is the unfortunate bi-product of the times we live in. When I have to use power via cables/wires, I use velcro wire ties (homemade) to keep them in a single path.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-28-2015, 07:49 AM

I use both a Pedal Power 2 and a Cioks AC10. I have a fairly large board but the two power supplies make setup much easier. I have a Stereo JamMan which requires AC rather than DC and for that reason, bought the Cioks when the VooDoo Labs supply ran out of outlets. Both power supplies are mounted to the bottom of a PedalTrain board.

Mike
Old 04-28-2015, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

At this point I think I'm going to built my own. It's way more straightforward than I ever imagined. Granted, I do run a simple setup.

Is anyone familiar with wiring these things? I understand how I'd do it, but I don't understand the logistics of what I'd plug into the hard-mounted jacks on the board. I'm a VERY visual person...going to attempt to draw up a diagram so I can better understand myself. Haha.

Pretty sure I'd just need one XLR jack and one 3/4" jack hard mounted. Those would then go....where? I'm confusing myself. Must. Draw. Diagram.

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'01 Martin DX-1

Old 04-28-2015, 08:34 AM

Location: A small island off the coast of a bigger island off the coast of a giant continent

+1 on Voodoo stuff. I have two. The daisy-chaining power supplies are terrible for noise once you have a couple of high draws on them. Isolated outputs are worth every penny. On my main board I used the Voodoo 4x4 and screwed it underneath (Pedaltrain board). I used these small 1" sq sticky backed wire clips all over the underside of the board to route the power cables to each pedal. Kept it very neat and works just fine.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Okay, I'm trying to figure out wiring. Here's what I run right now:

*Guitar goes into Ditto Looper via 3/4" guitar cable.
*Patch cable connects Ditto Looper into Vocalist Live 3.
*Guitar cable runs from Vocalist Live 3 into PA.
*Mic receiver runs into Vocalist Live 3 via 1.5 foot XLR cable. (it sits right next to it)
*XLR cable runs out of Vocalist Live 3 into PA.
*Three separate AC adapters run from extension cord into their appropriate "homes"

I would plan to run one power supply into the board and hard mount it. That power supply would power my Voodoo Labs Pedal Power and I'd utilize the connectors to power each pedal. I'd drill small holes in the appropriate places once I have everything situated as needed. The power connectors would come up through the holes from under the board and power each pedal. That brings me down to 1 cord for power instead of 3 bulky AC adapters.

I still don't quite understand how I'd run the XLR and 3/4" cables. It seems like:

*XLR would connect the mic receiver into the VL3.
*Another XLR would then run out of the VL3 and into the hard-mounted XLR output.
*A final XLR cable would plug into the hard-mounted output and run into the PA.
*Guitar would run into hard-mounted 3/4" jack (Do I need this step or should I go straight into the Ditto Looper?)
*Guitar cable would run into Ditto Looper
*Patch cable would connect Ditto Looper with Vocalist Live 3
*Guitar cable would run out of VL3 and into a second hard-mounted 3/4" jack
*Guitar cable would run out of hard-mounted 3/4" jack and into PA

I'd end up with 4 cords running to/from my board:

1. Hard-mounted power supply that powers Voodoo Labs Pedal Power
2. XLR output running from hard-mounted jack to PA
3. Guitar would run into hard-mounted 3/4" jack
4. After being chained through Ditto Looper and VL3, a 3/4" instrument cable would run out of the second hard-mounted 3/4" jack and into the PA

This stuff is so confusing. Once I figure out proper cabling, the execution won't be so bad...but it's trying to envision how many hard-mounted jacks I'll need for the cleanest setup that's confusing me.

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'01 Martin DX-1

Old 04-28-2015, 09:43 AM

I haven't analyzed your above post but I have my effects pedals wired into the insert of my preamp and the Ditto is last. That way I can control whatever effects I do or don't want on the loop or what I'm playing over the loop.

I think you meant to say 1/4" cables
Old 04-28-2015, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

This might help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4YgKu2VthQ

Steve
Old 04-28-2015, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Diagram time. I ultimately decided that it's stupid to go with two 3/4" inputs and instead it makes the most sense to run the guitar into the first pedal in my chain. I'd just be making more work for myself the other way. Here's what I came up with:

Blue cords are 3/4" instrument cable. Orange cords are XLR cable. Red is the hard-mounted power input that will connect to the Pedal Power. From the pedal power, I'll run the small connector cables up through small drill holes next to each pedal they power. That's the cleanest setup I could imagine.

Where the solid lines turn to dashed lines is where I'll drill a hole for each cable coming out from the VL3. They'll run underneath the board and be mounted there directly into the hard-mounted jacks.

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'01 Martin DX-1

Old 04-28-2015, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

Nobody likes my diagram?

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'01 Martin DX-1

Old 04-28-2015, 10:23 PM

I don't think you need to mount outputs on the board either. Just got to the PA from the last pedal in the chain.

Louis
Old 04-29-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Nobody likes my diagram?

I love diagrams. This thread might help you:
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sho....php?t=1318444
Old 04-29-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
At the risk of seeming silly to suggest an obvious solution, has it occurred to you to simply include a small power bar (just enough outlets for whatever wall warts/plugs are needed) on your board? Then you only have one power cord to plug in...

A side benefit is that you can get a power bar with surge protection built-in to protect the components on the board.

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification