The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-14-2012, 08:13 AM

Default Hard Case for Tele

MIM Deluxe Blackout Tele ... came with a gig bag ... decent and OK for home, but my old school experience tells me when/if I start playing out, I'll want a hard case ... Tweed cases, Pro Cases and the SKB molded

Are these all good cases and it just boils down to style and preference? Or are there reasons to go for the one and not the others? Appreciate any advice, pros/cons etc.

Thanks.

For some very simple demos of original music: https://soundcloud.com/rick-langdon

-- Play on!!

Last edited by Scriptor; 05-14-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:00 AM

This all depends on how much gigging you do, and how much wear and tear you put into transporting your equipment. I have found SKB to be very good cases, but they tend to not seal flush after about 5 years of heavy wear. Fender tweed cases are basically no different than their tolex cases, but are more expensive because of their snob-appeal. Go to a website like www.elderly.com and explore their offerings in guitar cases. Usually, you can find a Canadian case for your Fender which is about $50 cheaper than a Fender case because it lacks the nameplate that says "Fender" on it. Other than that, they're the same cases and give the same protection.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:32 PM

Scriptor,

I have several Fender tweed cases and love them. A couple of caveats....

1. The case is very classy looking, but shows wear quicker than a black hardshell case. The Tweed gets dirty fairly easy and gets snagged on things once in awhile.

2. The latches corrode and don't always snap easly.

I have a 1982 AVRI '52 Tele and the Tweed case has faded and the latches are bad. Cool relic look, though. I like it.

I recently got a MIM Standard in Copper Metallic Burst and ordered the deluxe tweed case for it. Here's a link.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/099-6103-400

My advice: If you're going to be gigging a lot and in places that aren't the cleanest, I would go with a Fender Black HS case. Otherwise, go with the tweed.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scriptor View Post
MIM Deluxe Blackout Tele ... came with a gig bag ... decent and OK for home, but my old school experience tells me when/if I start playing out, I'll want a hard case ... Tweed cases, Pro Cases and the SKB molded

Are these all good cases and it just boils down to style and preference? Or are there reasons to go for the one and not the others? Appreciate any advice, pros/cons etc.

Thanks.

I picked up this Gator case from Sam Ash a while back on sale for $59.99 (but I believe they're around $89.99 or so normally) and I keep my CV50's Tele in it. I'm real happy with this particular case..

Old 05-17-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger View Post
Scriptor,

I have several Fender tweed cases and love them. A couple of caveats....

1. The case is very classy looking, but shows wear quicker than a black hardshell case. The Tweed gets dirty fairly easy and gets snagged on things once in awhile.

2. The latches corrode and don't always snap easly.

Hmm... I never knew this about the latches on a tweed case corroding. I've had my black hardshell Fender case for more than 25 years now, and I've had a few problems when the latches got sticky, but I just shoot a little graphite in there whenever I do and they're good to go for another 6 or 7 years.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabdart View Post
Hmm... I never knew this about the latches on a tweed case corroding. I've had my black hardshell Fender case for more than 25 years now, and I've had a few problems when the latches got sticky, but I just shoot a little graphite in there whenever I do and they're good to go for another 6 or 7 years.
As far as the black HS Fender cases... same here. I have a 1980 Strat with the same kid of case and the latches have not corroded in 30+ years.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

Musician's Friend offers some house brand hard cases that are good values. The kid down the street from me has two for his LP and his Strat and they appear to be a tough as anything you could buy with a big name brand on them.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:14 PM

IMO Hard cases are hightly over-rated and a pain in the A%$!!! I already have a 40 something pound amp and a 20 something pound pedalboard to haul and do NOT want to haul a heavy hardcase.

I sell mine as soon as I get a new guitar and use this:

http://www.kaces.com/detail.asp?product_id=KPFE-07
Old 05-18-2012, 04:20 PM

Especially with a tele a good gigbag is all you need... But if going hardcase, gotta go with a thermometer case!!!
Old 05-25-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
IMO Hard cases are hightly over-rated and a pain in the A%$!!! I already have a 40 something pound amp and a 20 something pound pedalboard to haul and do NOT want to haul a heavy hardcase.
Oh, don't be a WIMP! The purpose of lugging all this equipment around is to STAY IN SHAPE! Try hauling a Hammond B-3 organ and the Leslie speaker cabinets that go with it up 6 flights of stairs at 4 o'clock in the morning and see what a welcome relief it is to schlep a Telecaster in a hardshell case up the same distance afterwards.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:28 AM

Anyone hauling a B3 and Leslie wins!
...I come close: I own Mesa Boogies

Hey Scriptor,

As for cases, it all depends on your comfort level and whether you want backpack straps?

For a hard case, the old Fender black plastic deals come up used often and are hard to beat. I have had two: one from around 90 (sold with the guit) and still have my orig from 1980, and both were rock-solid and withstood all normal bumps/gig-wear. And all the hw is still superb.

And SKB/Gator are really hard to beat as an aftermarket ...never had issue with these, either.

If you want straps, the Gator "hardbag" is stellar!!! It has stiff/durable foam all around to protect like a hardshell case, but is built like a gigbag and has backpack straps. I got one for an expensive acoustic and have nothing but praise for this case, for its protection, super lightweight, and staps are a huge plus to free one's hands when carting gear. Check out Gator's site as they no doubt will have them for tele/strat fitments.

Edward

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars