The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-12-2012, 08:08 AM

I think you are going to have to make a choice: specialize, or embrace complexity. Complexity may mean a variety of amps/guitars/etc. or pushing a lot of buttons.

Because this is an acoustic forum: I know someone that uses an amp modeler into an acoustic amp for his electric playing. I'm not sure what modeler he has, but his amp is an AC-90. He claims (and it makes sense to me) that the modeler works better with the "flatter" acoustic amp than it would through something more traditional. I can only tell you that it can produce many interesting tones at low and high volumes. That might be a road worth considering though of course with a smaller amp.

I have two amps, a VHT 6w tube amp that sounds great (to me) but it is what it is (I've heard them caled Fenderish) , and a ZT lunchbox I picked up used/cheap. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either but they are both simple (no reverb, no EQ) sound-as-they-sound amps and I can't see how either would cover the range you want.

Last edited by him; 05-12-2012 at 08:14 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:45 AM

For an amp, I'd recommend a Vox Valvetronix series. I hadn't touched my Strat in over a year but my girlfriend bought me a vt15 for Christmas and I absolutely love it. I play my strat as much as I play my acoustics now. It does have some modeling options but I don't mess with them too much. It has a tube in the pre-amp and has a great tube like sound.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL30 View Post
For an amp, I'd recommend a Vox Valvetronix series. I hadn't touched my Strat in over a year but my girlfriend bought me a vt15 for Christmas and I absolutely love it. I play my strat as much as I play my acoustics now. It does have some modeling options but I don't mess with them too much. It has a tube in the pre-amp and has a great tube like sound.
I was given a 30 watt a couple years ago. It is very versatile, and I'm sure with speaker change would be high gigable quality sound. My son loves all the metal settings! I like the bassman and twin, and vox settings.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:36 AM

As has already been said, It's going to be virtually impossible to get that Gibson sound from a strat. Gibson uses a shorter scale length (24.75" vs Fender 25.5"), which is what really gives them that tonal difference. Fender's longer scale length is what gives them that pop and brightness. Right now I've got 2 teles and a strat- each set up differently. My strat is a MIM standard, 1 tele just has a standard tele bridge pup setup while the other has a GFS Vintage Nashville retrotron humbucker bridge pup. They each sound comletely different. I recently sold my LP clone to raise money to build one of the teles that I have, so I'm getting ready to replace it by building a set-neck 25" scale length tele with P90s. This will give me a nice way to round out the sounds that I need.

Your guitars are tools and need to be used for the appropriate jobs. You can drive a nail with a ratchet, but a hammer works so much better
Old 05-14-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smpetty View Post
Thanks Warren - what/how are you running your Strat into the amp modeling software? There wasn't such a thing the last time I was playing electrics

Scott
Scott, going this route, I am bypassing the amp. Im primarily a night time player (as in after kids are in bed) so I had to find a quiet solution. Basically, I purchased a USB audio interface (a presonus audiobox USB) which plugs directly into my computer. The interface came bundled with a recording software (Studio One) which also comes with Guitar rig 3 light which is an amp modeling software. So basically, I'm plugging my guitar directly into the audio interface, putting headphones on and messing around with the settings on Guitar Rig 3. When I can make some noise without headphones, I just run a cable from the back of the interface into the Amp. IMO it's a decent electric setup if youre just messing around in the basement and cant make a ton of noise

good luck in your search
Old 05-17-2012, 10:50 PM

I also had a superchamp xd and it was a great amp especially on the clean channel, but recently replaced it with an all tube 1 watt blackstar just for home use and it is a very sweet amp, would have probably gone with a 5 watt if I had to do it again. These amps are a little bit more pricey than a superchamp, but worth every penny, they also have a headphone jack and input for mp3 player so you can play along with backing tracks. I play my 57 avri strat with this and it sounds great. My last strat I put in a loaded gilmour pickguard which has a custom shop 69' in the neck, fat fifties in the middle and seymour duncan ssl5 in the bridge with the extra toggle for seven way switching, this setup not only covered gilmours sound, but SRV, Hendrix, and many others, very versatile. The closest you will get to a gibson tone with a fender is a tele cranked up on the bridge pickup!
Old 05-21-2012, 07:01 PM

I personally am not big on Fender strats. I'm not saying they aren't excellent guitars as David Gilmour plays one and he is one of my fave players ever. I am not a brand loyal guy, but Ibanez (electric) guitars always seemed to feel right to me. Ibanez also makes many styles of electric guitar, not just the "shredder" style guitar. Give Ibanez a shot before you decide.

Bryant

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars