The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-27-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cue Zephyr View Post
For mics, Oktava MK-012, unbeatable for the price.
Actually this one is a better deal:

http://www.pssl.com/MXL-SP1-Condense...hone-With-Clip

Every once in a while, the gods slip you a crazy deal. This is one of those times. No, I don't work for the company nor do I have any interest whatsoever. In general I don't really like MXL mics.

I had one of my friends send me one 3-4 years ago, because he wanted my opinion on it. I was shocked. I've suggested it I don't know how many people and no one has reached back to tell me they were disappointed.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 05-28-2010, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwn1 View Post
first off, simple and value priced...I am looking to do some 4 (?) track recording; all acoustic - pc based...mostly for my own use, so it does not have to be high quality.
? what kind of mike
? what software
? what else do i need.
FYI i like to play guitar, then add bass, banjo/mandolin and vocal. Thanks for the help!
At the most basic, I'd go with [mic] a USB microphone (like one of the ones from Blue Microphones) and [software] Audacity, which is free.

I have used the Blue Snowball and Audacity for voice over work and it has worked well for me. I have also used the Blue Snowball for multi-tracking (into Garageband) with decent results as well.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwn1 View Post
thanks for the info...a little heavy for me as i am a real beginner at recording, but lots of good stuff to get me on the trail. PS fitness...great sound
As I mentioned earlier, we could give you more useful information if you told us how much money you intended to spend.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:13 AM

here's another vote for reaper as a DAW. you also can't go wrong with a MXL 604. it is inexpensive, has two capsules and sounds decent enough for home projects. you can always get a better mic later. or, Studio Projects makes some very nice LD condenser mics too.

eventually, you'll need a good mic pre. when you are ready, look into the grace 101, or 201.

Last edited by dmoss74; 05-28-2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:32 AM

That Grace 101 may not be what the OP means by "simple and value priced". An ART Tube MP might be a better choice for a budget home studio.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:14 AM

I may be in the minority on this, but since I have no desire to keep any of my computers close to state-of-the-art (other than on the day they're purchased), I decided to do what little recording I do away from the PC or Mac. I had heard too many horror stories of latency problems in modest or otherwise unsophisticated setups, so I went with a Tascam DP-004 with its internal condensers. After recording and mixing on it, I plug it into the Mac and it's read as an external hard drive that I simply drag songs from.

1977 Martin M-38
1982 Stelling Staghorn
2013 Larrivée D-40R
2014 Andrew White Eos 1011 (sold)
2016 Pisgah Possum
Old 05-28-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacks Focus View Post
I may be in the minority on this, but since I have no desire to keep any of my computers close to state-of-the-art (other than on the day they're purchased), I decided to do what little recording I do away from the PC or Mac. I had heard too many horror stories of latency problems in modest or otherwise unsophisticated setups, so I went with a Tascam DP-004 with its internal condensers. After recording and mixing on it, I plug it into the Mac and it's read as an external hard drive that I simply drag songs from.
most three year old computers (even older) can run a decent DAW right now. reaper is a very robust DAW, and doesn't hog too much in resources. any XP or higher machine with the 3.25 gigs of ram should do. latency issues are very tamable.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:16 AM

Smile

Fitness, is that a Taylor or Larrive guitar on your recording, it sounds real good!
Old 07-05-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dberch View Post
The M-Audio Fastrack Ultra is a very good interface. Get that and a couple cheap mic, and you'll be in business.

http://www.jr.com/maudio/pe/MIM_FASTTRACKUL/

Hope this helps,
David
+1
I think the preamps and filters on this unit is about the best a guy could want without going full blown studio. Seriously clean and responsive, even a couple of cheap condensers do an exceptional job, just a great interface for not a lot of money.
Kids got the others

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=797065
Old 07-05-2010, 10:05 AM

Default recording

any input on the Olympus recorder?
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 07-06-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoss74 View Post
most three year old computers (even older) can run a decent DAW right now. reaper is a very robust DAW, and doesn't hog too much in resources. any XP or higher machine with the 3.25 gigs of ram should do. latency issues are very tamable.
Agreed. Stay away from USB (go firewire) and latency is not an issue.

the chain is the key: acoustics of space>guitar>mic>preamp>A/D converter.

I use good mics and preamps, an outboard A?D converter ands Digi 003 on a Mac. No problem. I have a nice sounding guitar and a good space to record in. The only inconsistent part is me.

Oh, and player!

Regards,

Ty Ford

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD