The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-14-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallhadden View Post
I prefer 1 3/4 because that's what I normally play. I can handle 1 11/16 but don't know if I would do well with 1 5/8...
If you're more comfortable with an "acoustic" feeling neck - and you're willing to step a little bit "outside the box" - you might want to check out the Godin CW II Kingpin, a twin P-90 full-hollowbody in the general mold of the early-50's ES-175. Essentially the same size/weight as a Seagull mini-jumbo cutaway and boasting identical neck dimensions, it's a highly-versatile guitar that combines many of the best attributes of '50s Gibson and '60s Gretsch hollows, and as long as you're reasonably discreet with the volume knob (the body is made from very thin, resonant woods - about half the thickness of a Gibson) you can keep any unwanted feedback in check. There are a few of us that own them - in fact, there's someone here who duplicated my practice rig exactly - and you'll find nothing but positive feedback; if you'd like to do some research here's a start:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=467938

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 05-20-2017 at 04:28 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-14-2017, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Wow metal flake blue what is not to love.........what model ?
That's a Starplayer TV. More like a 339 in proportions. The Fullerton CC or Elite is more a 335 shape.

I had heard the hype about Duesenbergs for years and finally tried one...bought it on the spot. And if this is a sign, I'm already in the market for another one.
2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
2007 Gibson SJ-200 True Vintage
Old 05-15-2017, 05:33 AM

I think Eastman's are very good guitars.

A new T486 will set you back about $1400, and as used one in very good condition is about $800.

While that's not that expensive, the resale is not very good on these.

I think you'd get a better value is you took your time a really hunted down a good Gibson 335.

If you get a great price on one, then it'd be easy to get your money back if end up not bonding with it.

After about 30 yrs. of waiting for a great deal on a 335, I finally landed in one in an amazing barter deal in 2013. I got a '70 Gibson Cherry 335 for $165 .

I found my next '83 Gibson Cherry 335 Dot in a pawnshop 2 yrs. later for $1400.

I'm pretty much set up right now, and I'm very glad I was patient enough to wait for the right deals to come along.

Here's my '70 in the middle, '83 Dot , and my '63 330 on the left:

'81 Martin 7-28 7/8 D-28
'03 Taylor Jumbo Custom
'04 Ramirez 1-E Classical
'09 Breedlove Roots OM/SR acoustic/electric
‘15 Martin Centennial DC - 28E

Last edited by Texsunburst59; 05-15-2017 at 05:40 AM.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

Default 335

Go with the Eastman.
Is also has a 1 3/4 nut...
Old 05-20-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texsunburst59 View Post
I think Eastman's are very good guitars.

A new T486 will set you back about $1400, and as used one in very good condition is about $800.

While that's not that expensive, the resale is not very good on these.

I think you'd get a better value is you took your time a really hunted down a good Gibson 335.

If you get a great price on one, then it'd be easy to get your money back if end up not bonding with it.

After about 30 yrs. of waiting for a great deal on a 335, I finally landed in one in an amazing barter deal in 2013. I got a '70 Gibson Cherry 335 for $165 .

I found my next '83 Gibson Cherry 335 Dot in a pawnshop 2 yrs. later for $1400.

I'm pretty much set up right now, and I'm very glad I was patient enough to wait for the right deals to come along.

Here's my '70 in the middle, '83 Dot , and my '63 330 on the left:

LOL .... "I'm pretty much set up right now" with my THREE Gibson 335's. (Why only one when you can have three).

Fantastic photo!
Old 05-25-2017, 12:59 AM

I'm kind of new to electric, and I'm saving up for the Heritage 535. Just great. I like it in the natural finish.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:08 AM

Heritages are consistently some of the best out there in terms of quality.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
If you're more comfortable with an "acoustic" feeling neck - and you're willing to step a little bit "outside the box" - you might want to check out the Godin CW II Kingpin, a twin P-90 full-hollowbody in the general mold of the early-50's ES-175. Essentially the same size/weight as a Seagull mini-jumbo cutaway and boasting identical neck dimensions, it's a highly-versatile guitar that combines many of the best attributes of '50s Gibson and '60s Gretsch hollows, and as long as you're reasonably discreet with the volume knob (the body is made from very thin, resonant woods - about half the thickness of a Gibson) you can keep any unwanted feedback in check. There are a few of us that own them - in fact, there's someone here who duplicated my practice rig exactly - and you'll find nothing but positive feedback; if you'd like to do some research here's a start:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=467938
HI, that's interesting about the Godin CWII Kingpin, having very thin woods. I had the 5TH Ave with one pickup and I thought the top was pretty thick....is it possible the higher priced Godins have thinner tops? Just curious if you have ever tried both aND is there a difference?
Thnx
Old 05-31-2017, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennconducts View Post
I'm kind of new to electric, and I'm saving up for the Heritage 535. Just great. I like it in the natural finish.
A great choice! I bought the triple Nickel instead, but I should have gone with the 535.

And BTW, that is some kind of website you have there
Old 05-31-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
...that's interesting about the Godin CWII Kingpin, having very thin woods. I had the 5th Ave. with one pickup and I thought the top was pretty thick...is it possible the higher-priced Godins have thinner tops? Just curious if you have ever tried both and is there a difference?
Next time you have the opportunity to play a Godin 5th Avenue electric - of whatever model - alongside just about any other hollowbody from just about any other maker at just about any price, look at the edge of one of the f-holes and compare the tops; I think you'll find that they're about half the thickness (and a couple pounds lighter) than a typical hollow. The only exception here would be an old Brooklyn-made Gretsch, which would have been made from comparably-thin woods (original owner of a '64 Double Anniversary here, so I speak from experience) and provides a similarly lively and airy response compared to the "thuddiness" of the majority of laminated hollowbodies; with the P-90 pickups I find my CW II to be suitable for just about any style short of metal - as I said before, combining the best sonic attributes of '50s Gibson (also own a P-90 LP) and '60s Gretsch with the weight of a typical acoustic - and it's allowed my Beatle-era Double Annie to take a well-earned retirement...
Old 06-01-2017, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Next time you have the opportunity to play a Godin 5th Avenue electric - of whatever model - alongside just about any other hollowbody from just about any other maker at just about any price, look at the edge of one of the f-holes and compare the tops; I think you'll find that they're about half the thickness (and a couple pounds lighter) than a typical hollow. The only exception here would be an old Brooklyn-made Gretsch, which would have been made from comparably-thin woods (original owner of a '64 Double Anniversary here, so I speak from experience) and provides a similarly lively and airy response compared to the "thuddiness" of the majority of laminated hollowbodies; with the P-90 pickups I find my CW II to be suitable for just about any style short of metal - as I said before, combining the best sonic attributes of '50s Gibson (also own a P-90 LP) and '60s Gretsch with the weight of a typical acoustic - and it's allowed my Beatle-era Double Annie to take a well-earned retirement...
Got it... I thought maybe the 2 pickup 5th Ave (being that it is more expensive) might have had a thinner top. Thanks Steve!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars