The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-24-2015, 03:47 PM

Default Minor Feedback Issues

So I just picked up a Marshall AS50D and I love it. Over time though, there is feedback that only goes away if I turn the treble all the way down, or touch the end of the cable. Im sure there have been threads like this, but I do not have the time to keep searching for them. I have a fingerstyle performance tomorrow, and I would love some suggestions! Thank you!
Old 04-29-2015, 03:58 AM

How'd your performance go? Did you get this issue resolved? I'm curious as to what the problem was.

I've never heard of having to turn the treble all the way down to get rid of feedback or having to touch the cable. I've heard of touching the cable to get rid of buzzing which is a grounding issue.

As far as feedback, try the phase button first and see which position sounds better (in or out). If it's still feeding back, press the notch button and turn the anti-feedback knob slowly to locate the offending frequency (it should be greatly reduced).

You can also try situating the amp further from you as you increase its volume.

Normally at least one of these should solve (or greatly minimize) your feedback issue. Good luck!
Buscarino Starlight nylon, Martin 000C-RGTE, Godin nylon duet ambiance, Breedlove Bossa Nova, cedar/EIR, Breedlove SC-20, cedar/walnut, Ovation Nylon LX1773, CA Cargo, CA GX, Larrivee 00-03, sitka/hog
Old 04-29-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticalCaleb View Post
So I just picked up a Marshall AS50D and I love it. Over time though, there is feedback that only goes away if I turn the treble all the way down, or touch the end of the cable. Im sure there have been threads like this, but I do not have the time to keep searching for them. I have a fingerstyle performance tomorrow, and I would love some suggestions! Thank you!
Can I presume that this feedback occurs only when practicing/playing in a small room? This problem is very common in a highly reflective room with low ceilings and nearby walls. You'll probably be fine in a larger room, with the amp facing away from you.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticalCaleb View Post
Hi AC…

Feedback has as much to do with where one positions an amp in relationship to the guitar, how loud you run it etc. as it is about gear.

I run acoustic amps behind me 3-5 feet and up on either an amp stand (aimed up at my head from above knee level) or waist level aimed at my back on a keyboard X-stand when standing.

If I'm going through a PA I ask techs to turn off my guitar from the floor monitor in front of me. I've already got a good monitor from the acoustic amp behind me.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 04-29-2015 at 11:19 AM. Reason: added a thought
Old 04-30-2015, 07:36 AM

The 'touch the end of the cable' comment makes me think the OP is not talking about actual feedback, but buzz from a grounding issue.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 05-01-2015, 08:20 AM

I had an AS50R (same amp, basically). It had a phase button and a notch filter which allowed targeted feedback frequencies to be removed. Try that.

Otherwise, consider investing in a parametric EQ. They offer more options for eliminating troublesome frequency ranges. I've got a Empress ParaEQ I use with a Schertler amp.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:30 AM

Default Minor Feedback Issues

I agree, this doesn't sound like a feedback issue. A grounding issue or interference?
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
acoustic, feedback, marshall, problem