The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-26-2015, 10:28 PM

Default Pickup for Yamaha FG75

I recently acquired a pair of Yamaha FG75's. Both are in pretty good shape overall.

I'm thinking about gigging with one and would like to add a pick up to one of them and perhaps a bone saddle to one or both.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Ibanez AELBT1NT Baritone Acoustic Guitar
Takamine Jasmine ES33c
Fender Squier Vintage Modified '70's Jazz Electric Bass
GS (Garage Sale) Special Les Paul
2nd Wind Special Reso-Bass
Old 04-26-2015, 11:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geedub View Post
I recently acquired a pair of Yamaha FG75's. Both are in pretty good shape overall.

I'm thinking about gigging with one and would like to add a pick up to one of them and perhaps a bone saddle to one or both.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Hi G-dub…

I put K&K Pure mini in everything, and recommend them to others, and have not been disappointed yet.

No internal battery, decent sound, hot output signal, and sound good through acoustic amps, and PA systems.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-27-2015, 09:28 AM

Maybe try and find yourself a used LR Baggs M1A sound home pickup?

FG75's are pretty inexpensive guitars, so I'm guessing guy don't want to spend a ton on amplifying them. The benefit of a sound hole pickup is you can remove it really easily if you sell the guitar down the line and keep it for another guitar.

If you're going to do a bone saddle and end up with an UST type of pickup just made sure they work together, meaning I recently put a bone saddle on a J45 that has an LR Baggs Element UT in it, thinking I was going to "improve" the guitar's sound, but bone with UST didn't sounds very good, especially amplified and went back to the original Tusq saddle. Night and day difference. Obviously each guitar is different.

ijguitar mentioned the K&K, which is also a great choice, and the advantage is they're very affordable. I have never used one personally, but they are very popular around here, but have read they need a little more work/EQ'ing to dial them in compared to other pickups. If you already have a nice DI with a good EQ section you should be fine, but when you sell the guitar, you'll probably be giving away the K&K with it. Again, I've never tried these, but others have written great things about the JJB, which is the very similar to the K&K, and about half the cost.

Pickup choices are kind of endless, with many different types, and can accommodate pretty much any budget, style of playing, etc. What kind of music are you playing? Solo singer/songwriter stuff, with a fill band, classical, etc. It all helps when trying to figure out what might work best for you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification