The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-30-2014, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianHillMike View Post
Ha! That just made my day, thanks Dave!

Mike
That's still the Sergei we know and love eh? And one of the most talented and creative builders I've ever met too! Sergei has taught me soooooo many things over the years. In my opinion, he is one of the best luthiers of my generation.

Last edited by David Wren; 01-31-2014 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:59 AM

My father took me to Mr. Larivee's shop when he picked up his guitar. My memory is that is was in the far west end of Toronto? Wherever it was, it was the second floor of a building. Maybe you were even there at the time?
Old 02-04-2014, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwal View Post
My father took me to Mr. Larivee's shop when he picked up his guitar. My memory is that is was in the far west end of Toronto? Wherever it was, it was the second floor of a building. Maybe you were even there at the time?
Hi Ronwal ... I'm presuming we're talking back in the '70s right? Yep, I would have definitely been there. That was the third Larrivee shop in Toronto that I was working at on Dwight Ave. in the west end.

I just found the only photo that I'm aware of, of the Larrivee shop where Grit finished his apprenticeship and I started mine ... a VERY small storefront (the photo shows 2 stores, the right hand one is the Larrivee shop) on Mount Pleasant. Not sure if you can see through the reflection in the window, but I still have the hand painted (by Wendy) "Larrivee Guitars" sign ... you can also make out the very first "Troji" that a lot of builders use today.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:27 PM

Beautiful guitars and photography, David. I love the custom pickguards and edging on your instruments.

I've visited the 12th Fret a few times over the years -- and your group photos also remind me I need to contact Grit Laskin soon...

Thank you for this wonderful thread.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Beautiful guitars and photography, David. I love the custom pickguards and edging on your instruments.

I've visited the 12th Fret a few times over the years -- and your group photos also remind me I need to contact Grit Laskin soon...

Thank you for this wonderful thread.
Hey Joe ... thanks for the kind words ... very much appreciated.

You're a very lucky man if you're contacting Grit about an upcoming order ... it doesn't get any better!!!
Old 02-05-2014, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

Speaking of Grit ... here's the earliest shot I know of ... very early in his apprenticeship, when the shop was on Bridgeman Ave above the Tarragon Theater (circa 1971).

When I showed this to Grit he asked if I "had the other two photos". Apparently this was the last of a series of three shots ... the first was with Grit holding a length of a rosewood log in one hand and a pen knife in the other ... the second holding a much smaller chunk of rosewood, the knife with a few shavings in his hair ... and this is the last shot, with the finished product being a classical bridge that he has finally whittled out of the log. He had his sense of humor even back then!!!
Old 02-06-2014, 04:06 PM

Absolutely fascinating history. . . welcome Brother Wren. And thanks for all you've done in the past and all that I'm sure that you will do in the future!
Old 02-11-2014, 05:28 PM

Welcome to the forum David. I own two 1975 Larrivees as well as a 1983. They are my prized posessions . I love them dearly! I love seeing these old pics of the folks who built my 75's. I uope to somday own a Wren of my very own. They look beautiful!!! Cheers!!
Old 02-12-2014, 10:45 AM

Are there any other Larrivee aprentices who now build their own guitars, other than the ones you have mentioned? I'm interested in this history.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:42 AM

The last official apprentice was David Ianone of Morgan Guitars...
Old 02-12-2014, 01:29 PM

Dave is the man!

I've played a Concert Sinker Redwood/Macassar and a Remuda with Redwood/Madagascar and they were both incredible. Incredible build quality, crisp even tone and gorgeous woods.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarhound View Post
Dave is the man!

I've played a Concert Sinker Redwood/Macassar and a Remuda with Redwood/Madagascar and they were both incredible. Incredible build quality, crisp even tone and gorgeous woods.
Thanks so much! I'm liking the way those redwood tops are sounding too!
Old 02-12-2014, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon/Tinker View Post
The last official apprentice was David Ianone of Morgan Guitars...

The first three names that come to mind as far as other Larrivee apprentices are concerned ... Shelly Park, David Ionnone (Morgan Guitars) ... and at the top of the heap ... G.W. Barry. Gordon Barry is in the top 10 builders in the world today as far as I'm concerned.

I am absolutely sure that there are so many more, especially on the west coast, that I'm just not in a position to know about.

And then there are the Ontario builders on the scene back in the '70s who were not associated with Jean ... Marc Beneteau ... Oskar Graf ... so many talented builders!!!
Old 02-16-2014, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wren View Post
Gordon Barry is in the top 10 builders in the world today as far as I'm concerned.

For those of you who aren't familiar with G.W. Barry's work. Oh yes ... they sound as great as they look!

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 02-16-2014, 01:05 PM

I have a guitar on order from Gordon due later this year (thanks David for putting us in touch). I will start a thread when I have it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop