The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-14-2012, 08:06 AM

Default Feedback on New Johnny Marr Signature Jaguar?

All,

I've got a major case of G.A.S. for the new Johnny Marr signature Jaguar. I was told to reserve one now, as they will only be produced in limited quantities. Before I take the plunge and spend the money on one of these, I wanted to get some feedback from folks who already have this guitar. I'm a huge Johnny Marr and Smiths fan, and want to get that jangly/chimey sound for the music I play without having to buy a Rickenbacker. I also want to get some of the other classic tones you get from a Jaguar. If you have this guitar, please provide some feedback on it (e.g., pros and cons). Thanks for your help!
Old 05-14-2012, 01:43 PM

I havent played this one, but I have played a '62 reissue Jaguar, which shouldnt be too far from this.. its a great, versatile guitar, but i'm not sure if its going to give you that jangly sound you're looking for.. it can definitely handle the trebles... Marr also played a telecaster a bit, so you can get a good chiming sound with that.

Santa Cruz 1929 OOO
Martin HD-35
Guild F512
Rickenbacker 360
Gibson SG Standard
'52 Fender Telecaster Reissue

Old 05-14-2012, 01:51 PM

Johnny's sound most likely came more from his amps than the jaguar.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

Did you see this recent review in Premier Guitar?

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazin...ar_Review.aspx
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-16-2012, 09:38 AM

Default Re:

Yes, I did read this article. It's one of the reasons for my G.A.S. for this guitar right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Did you see this recent review in Premier Guitar?

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazin...ar_Review.aspx
Old 05-16-2012, 09:42 AM

Default Re:

Thanks, hillmountroad. I've read about the '62 reissue Jaguar, but haven't played one yet. I'd like to demo one sometime soon. It's a shame I can't demo the Johnny Marr Jaguar, but I suspect that the guitar stores in my area won't be getting them in for people to demo.

As for the Fender tele, I do own a Squier Classic Vibe '50s tele. It's certainly not the best guitar out there, but also not too bad for the money. I am able to get some of those classic Johnny Marr jangly tones on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillmountroad View Post
I havent played this one, but I have played a '62 reissue Jaguar, which shouldnt be too far from this.. its a great, versatile guitar, but i'm not sure if its going to give you that jangly sound you're looking for.. it can definitely handle the trebles... Marr also played a telecaster a bit, so you can get a good chiming sound with that.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:00 AM

I'm a Jag head. I never got the term Jangle when applied to Jags or Jazzmasters. Well set up, my jags and jazzies have always been full sounding, almost beefy on the right pickup settings.

The secret to making a jag sound good is to do the opposite of any other guitar. On another guitar you might start with the tone on 10 and turn down to where you like the sound. On a Jag, because of the pots used, you want to start at 0 and turn up the tone knob until you like the sound. Don't be surprised, depending on amps or effects settings if you end up below 6, all the way down to 3, and you still have a "good tone". 6 can sound like 10 if you know what I mean.

As to switching, a normal one is not complicated. The 4 position on the Marr is cool. Folks have been doing it forever. Treble boost? Really? With Jag pickups? I won't argue with Johnny. He certainly knows more about what makes a great rock stage guitar than I do , but I don't personally see a need for that.

For a living room guitar, I would say you don't need the mods. As signature models go, I lean towards it being one of the best I've seen. Like I said, I don't need that stuff, but all of it is well thought out and field tested by one of the greats in terms of functionality.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars