The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-10-2012, 08:54 PM

Default Lap Steel help

Any lap steel folk out here in the AGF woods. I'm really intrigued with sound of lap steel.....from blues to hawaiian. Any thoughts on what to get, where to get one, types for a newbie but looking to grow into one vs. growing out of. Really have no clue.
Many thanks!
Old 05-10-2012, 09:16 PM

I've farted around with them, using the same G tuning I use on my Dobro. Fun, but I only scratched the surface. You can get a functional lap steel dirt cheap to play around with.

I think MF has the Rogue for under $100.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:19 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I've got a couple and can pass on my knowledge. If you want to start with a solid guitar, I'd recommend the Gretsch Electromatic G5715 (black sparkle) or G5700 (sunburst).

This guitar is based around one of their 1950s guitars. I've done a review of it HERE. That's about $349 at Musician's Friend and the gig bag is extra but is great. It is a good, smooth sounding guitar with clean electronics, good intonation, and good hardware. I'd also start with an erg slide bar. I use the Shubb Pearse SP-3 Sally Van Meter model but there are a bunch around. They allow you to easily do hammer-ons and get control of the slide.

A lot of people will urge you to snap up a 1940s-1950s vintage lap steel off eBay because they can be had cheap and have lots of mojo. Truth be told, many of those guitars are beat and fragile. It takes an experienced eye to see the signs of a beater in pics. I know - I bought my first, a Magnatone, back in the 1970s from a pawn shop for $25. It was a ratty little thing on its last legs when I bought it. That same one, in worse condition, can get you $300 if you do your listing right on the 'Bay. I currently own a 1945 Supro Supreme Hawaiian Guitar Model 1400. I'll use it for studio dates but won't gig it because it just feels too fragile, even though it is in excellent shape.

It's a cool snarky little thing with a sound like a Tele.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-11-2012, 06:40 AM

Thx for the info Bob.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:46 AM

I've had two of those National/Supros (one with each name) and the pickups on those guitars are awesome. HUGE sound! If you find one of those cheap, it's worth buying as long as it has a working original pickup.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:38 PM

I avoid the vintage because the prices have gone up, and you never know what you're going to get. If you're into that, cool. Go for it.

My main electric (I also have some old Ricks) is a Chandler lap. I don't like the nut, and may look into getting that changed, but overall, bought used, they are a fabulous guitar. It's just one pig hunk of mahogany shaped sort of like Weissy. And an awful cheap looking pearloid fingerboard setup with "Deco" designs. Tacky as all get-out! Which I love! Great vintage style pickup as well.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

From the top:

1) Allen Melbert Pro 8 - custom-made for me by Bob Allen at http://www.musonmt.com/index.html. Great fellow to deal with, and very reasonably priced. The guitar itself sounds gorgeous, and is very well put together. He often runs specials - I got a nice discount for using a body blank (walnut and maple) that he already had in stock.
2) Recording King RG-31 - this is a $149 import, with a hot P90-style pickup, and a nice piece of mahogany for the body. Hardware is a little rudimentary, but at least the bridge is 'proper' and not a re-purposed guitar unit
3) Guyatone HG-96C - a mid '60s Japanese loose copy of a Fender. Got this one for $225.

I recently sold the Recording King, as it was getting no playing time compared to the other two, but I'd have no hesitation on recommending it for a beginner. I've also heard good things about the Rogue Jersey Lightning, available through Musician's Friend:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-...p-steel-guitar

Lastly, you might want to check out the 'Steel Without Pedals' section of the Steel Guitar Forum - tons of experience and good advice there!

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/index.php

Cheers,
David
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-13-2012, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benybrady View Post
Any lap steel folk out here in the AGF woods. I'm really intrigued with sound of lap steel.....from blues to hawaiian. Any thoughts on what to get, where to get one, types for a newbie but looking to grow into one vs. growing out of. Really have no clue.
Many thanks!
How far west of Cincinnati are you? I'm on the west side of Cincinnati not far from I-74. I've been dabbling in the lap steel myself. I originally bought a cheep lap steel, but couldn't get the sound I was hearing in my head. I like the clean sound of a pedal steel and Hawaiian music and county stuff. The first song I learned was Harbor Lights. Anyway, I recently bought a Sierra lap steel. It has more of a pedal steel sound. My Sierra also has legs which I highly recommend. Anyway, you're welcome to come over and check out my Sierra. I can also get you on the right track as far as instructional material, the right bars and amps etc. It would be good to have someone close to get together with. Not a lot of steel guitars players around here. I also have a camper up by Brookville Lake in Indiana. IF you want to talk on the phone, you can send a PM and I'll give you my phone number.

Denny

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars