The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-19-2010, 01:34 PM

I find it interesting that some of us, based on the technical skill and facial expression in this one video clip of this little girl, suspect child abuse. I can't help but feel that if she were dressed differently, and we had no reference to her location, we might be less attuned to that possibility. I'm not saying we're biased, just that knowing where she is from may well have had a part in our reaction to her playing. Here's why.

My wife is a wonderful piano teacher who has had some outstanding students. Some of the most gifted actually knit their eyebrows together in concentration as they play. It might even look like they are in tremendous pain, but I can attest that they are thoroughly enjoying making music!

Perhaps her most gifted student of all, now headed to the Julliard School of Music for his Master's degree, loved nothing more than intense practice and performing, even as a youngster. If you saw a video of his facial expressions while he was playing, however, you might not understand his motivation. He gives his playing his utmost attention, and it shows on his face. When someone tells him to remember to smile, it often looks a bit forced, as if it is taking something away from his music.

I'm not saying there is no possibility that there is some form of child abuse possible in this little guitarist's case. I'm just trying to add a little different perspective to the conversation.

cotten

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD