The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-14-2010, 09:59 AM

Default Interface??? Apogee duet vs. H4n?

Hello. I own a MacBookPro with the obligatory Garageband loaded on it. I'm wanting to record guitar and cello duets with it in order to post them as demos to my website. If I can add some video to that, it would also be nice, but I can't really see myself getting into vast multi-trac, sampling, etc.

So, I've been considering the Apogee Duet after reading so many good things about it. Lately, however, I "discovered" that the Zoom H4n may also be used as an interface using outboard mics or as a free-standing unit.

I find this welcome news for two reasons: 1) Having the capability to record live gigs would be nice (although not primarily what I want to do--yes, I could do that with my MBP and Duet as well, but much more "clunk & clutter"); 2) H4n is nearly $200 cheaper.

So, do any of you have experience with both? Either one or the other? Could anybody comment on using the H4n as an interface?

Thank you for any help,

Aparicio AA100 Classical Spruce/IR
Guild GAD-50e (meh)
Old 07-14-2010, 12:25 PM

I did a comparison of the H4n to a high end signal path. You can listen to a couple of level matched single performance comparisons here: http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2009/...-the-zoom-h4n/

When listening at high gain to the "tail" of the track the H4n has more self-noise than the John Hardy preamp through a LynxTwo audio interface. I'm sure the Apogee would perform in line with the Hardy/Lynx combo.

Naturally only you can decide if the difference in performance is worth the difference in cost. But I would say that if you record an excellent performance in a good sounding room with decent mics in a good location, the H4n will deliver a satisfying result. In fact, I would think that finding or creating a good sounding space will be the biggest challenge you'll face.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD