The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-08-2010, 07:07 AM

Default computers + guitars

I was wondering if anyone use their computers to record.

I have a macbook pro but I never tried recording anything. I was wondering how I might be able to do it.

Plus is there a way to connect my guitar to my labtop?

BTO coco/adir 12 fret.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:33 AM

I use my Macbook pro and Garageband to record basic stuff. There are a few different ways to do it. One would be to buy a USB condenser mic from somewhere like Best Buy and use that as the primary interface. Since the Macs also have Firewire and USB, you could buy an external interface and then have the options for multiple mics at once. These external interfaces also allow connections for electric guitars and whatnot. Firewire 800 will be superior for now, until USB 3.0 becomes standard. But for basic recording, a external USB condenser mic might be the best idea. Since I am no where near professional, take what I said as amateur advice.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:49 AM

I use an USB audio interface (actually Line6 UX1) with my pc, I guess itīs the most reliable way to record on your pc. You donīt have worry about latency, plus itīs compatible with almost every sound editor (Cubase, Protools, etc).
I recommend the M-Audio sound interfaces too, you can get some models at very cheap prices.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:54 AM

A USB mic, such as the Samson C01u, is basically all you need to start recording a guitar into a laptop. I use the XLR version of the same mic with an ART Tube MP pre-amp supplying phantom power and an M-Audio 2496 card. That's a bargain basement set up. If you can spend more, spend it on better mics, perhaps a matched pair.

Monitoring is also important. You'll need a decent hi-fi or dedicated studio monitors to do justice even to an inexpensive mic and card such as the above. A set of headphones like the Sony 7506 won't go wrong (but get the MDR-V6 - same model but cheaper). There are better cans out there but these are good value. Nice and portable to take out and about with your laptop and they don't leak much sound if you're multi-tracking.

Last edited by moon; 06-08-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:31 AM

Depends how much you want to spend. The Zoom H4n will act as a USB interface, and provides decent quality stereo mics and a preamp so you can plug in if you have an electroacoustic.

It also comes with a good but basic version of Cubase, which is a very capable recording program.

It's a great bit of kit, sounds good and you can run it off batteries to record yourself anywhere without being attached to your computer.

Baranik Meridian "Aurora" fan-fret - Celebes ebony / Colorado blue spruce
Tom Sands Model L fan-fret - Macassar ebony / European spruce
Hamblin GC - Macassar ebony / Italian spruce
Kronbauer SMB - Macassar ebony / Engelmann spruce
Baranik JX - Indian rosewood / German spruce
Sheppard GA - African blackwood / Bosnian spruce
Collings OM1
CA Cargo Raw | Ele
Old 06-08-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
Depends how much you want to spend.
That's certainly the kicker, isn't it? So yes, a USB mic, such as the Samson for roughly a bill, would be the low end; ten times that will get you an Apogee Duet interface, Logic Express 9, and a decent-quality condenser microphone, and now you're recording with (arguably) respectable quality and control. It's all a matter of how much you want to invest -- but my experience is that once you start spending money on mics and gear (I love the word "kit" you Brits have maintained the language with such elegance, something we Americans have failed to do), you'll keep spending.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:01 AM

Since you already have a Mac, I recommend this:

1 - use Garageband, a recording program that's already on the Mac
2 - buy an entry-level interface that connects to the computer via USB or firewire. An interface digitizes the input signal from voice or instrument.
3- if your guitar has a pickup it can be plugged into the interface
4 - get a microphone for vocals or acoustic guitar. Some good candidates have been suggested here already.
5- get a reasonably-priced but not too cheap set of headphones for monitoring while recording. Be sure to plug the 'phones into the interface, not the computer; this will minimize latency while recording. Purchasing good monitor speakers can wait.
6 - possibly most important - buy a book on GarageBand ("for Dummies" is a good one).
7. Enjoy recording !

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD