The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-23-2017, 09:02 PM

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/V7mic

I've been using these for my sound jobs and I have been extremely impressed. Especially for the money.
2022 Yamaha FG5
2010 Taylor DN3
Old 07-24-2017, 09:00 AM

We use the Audio Technica ATM710 with great results.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ATM710

It is just at your budget, and it is a condenser mic (not a dynamic) so it is a LOT more sensitive and offers a great amount of detail on vocals...but you would need phantom power. Also has a 10db pad and bass roll-off switch.

We only play quiet venues (coffeehouse, etc.) so it works for us. Doesn't need a lot of gain and you don't have to 'eat the mic' to get nice full vocals...but maybe not the best for loud stage environments with a full band. We are an acoustic duo. My partner had a cheaper AT dynamic mic, but when he heard my ATM710, he immediately bought one for himself.

I would suggest listening to the samples on this site:
https://www.thomannmusic.com/vocal_microphones.html

They have almost every mic to compare with dry/wet signals and male/female vocals.

Good luck.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricdoug View Post
Another for the E-935. It comes close to many condenser microphones, without the need for phantom power. Ric
Exactly. And what a presence, amazing mic.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:41 PM

Hi, I the OP here. Thank you all for your excellent suggestions. It seems it would be hard to go wrong with any of the mics suggested here. I am kinda leaning toward the e835. My Shure beta 57a is what might be considered a "hot" mic? Maybe a bit too sensitive? I have been spending a lot of time practicing mic techniques. I play acoustic and sing solo and the mic is always in a stand and I don't move around much. I try to sing directly into the mic and am experimenting with proper distance. Do you all think the e835 is different enough from what I have to add one.?
Old 07-24-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsstrider View Post
Hi, I the OP here. Thank you all for your excellent suggestions. It seems it would be hard to go wrong with any of the mics suggested here. I am kinda leaning toward the e835. My Shure beta 57a is what might be considered a "hot" mic? Maybe a bit too sensitive? I have been spending a lot of time practicing mic techniques. I play acoustic and sing solo and the mic is always in a stand and I don't move around much. I try to sing directly into the mic and am experimenting with proper distance. Do you all think the e835 is different enough from what I have to add one.?
The day I bought my 845 the first two mics I checked out were the 815, then 835.

Right off the bat I said no to the 815, but immediately liked the 835, until I compared it to the 845, which after 17 years, I still have three of them.

Do a direct comparison, then go with what your ears and pocketbook decide.

Really think you may do well to check out some of the mics in my signature, as I'm actually more picky about mics than I am about most of the rest of my gear.

Three top favorite mics for the last 17 years have been the Audio Technica AE-6100, Sennheiser 845 and Heil PR-35.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 07-24-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nama Ensou View Post
The day I bought my 845 the first two mics I checked out were the 815, then 835.

Right off the bat I said no to the 815, but immediately liked the 835, until I compared it to the 845, which after 17 years, I still have three of them.

Do a direct comparison, then go with what your ears and pocketbook decide.

Really think you may do well to check out some of the mics in my signature, as I'm actually more picky about mics than I am about most of the rest of my gear.

Three top favorite mics for the last 17 years have been the Audio Technica AE-6100, Sennheiser 845 and Heil PR-35.
THANKS for the input. Seeing your selection of microphones helps me see I'm on the right track. From what I can tell the 835 may be more forgiving regarding mic techniques? But the 845 might be smoother? My current mic has been training me to have proper position so maybe the 845 would be the more logical choice. I believe I will spend a couple of hours trying out your top 3 along with the 835 and see what works best for me. Thanks again.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification