The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-18-2017, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_boxer View Post
When I got it I was a bit annoyed that I seem to have been sent a guitar that's been on display/played in the store.
What's this mean?

Was the guitar dusty and greasy and scratched up? Your impression was that the guitar looked like it had been handled a lot in the store, and this is
well before you noticed the dented fret.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 10-18-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Absolutely not. Have you contacted Martin?
This has nothing to do with Martin. The store sent him an obviously "not new" guitar. It is the dealer's problem/responsibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_boxer View Post
Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Am I right in thinking this is pretty unacceptable on a new Martin?
No. It is unacceptable for ANY new guitar. Again, it has nothing to do with "Martin?."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Rat View Post
Deal with the store. Then find a better store.
This. Return the guitar, or work out a discount for a less-than-used guitar. If you return it call Jon at My Favorite Guitars or Ted at LA Guitar Sales. They both have them in stock and you'll not regret it.

Last edited by ManyMartinMan; 10-19-2017 at 07:48 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:31 AM

Should have been described as ''ex-display'', the marks described and price adjusted accordingly !!!!!!

That's what my local store does. At the end of the day a guitar in store will be played but at some point it has to be described as such !!!!!
Eastman OM1
Ibanez M-340 Japan
Simon & Patrick SP12
Harmony mandolin
Old 10-19-2017, 06:38 AM

Return it if it is new. I had a similar (self induced) issue; the guitar fell face forward against a table edge, and a string hit a fret hard enough to leave an impression. I polished it out using fret erasers.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:24 AM

That really sucks. But in terms of getting an assembly line guitar that isn't quite right... I got a brand new Taylor 814ceDLX, manufactured on June 4th of this year. It took me awhile to discover it, but went to play a lead lick up the neck past the 11th fret and "plink plink plink" like a mandolin. So here's a $4000 guitar whose frets aren't level. What's that about?

Not sure about the "hanging in a showroom" thing in your case, but Martin isn't the only guitar company selling guitars at premium prices that wouldn't pass inspection from a "lesser" company's QC inspector.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 10-19-2017, 05:14 PM

Without seeing the damage it's hard to say, but from your description, it sounds like the string might have gouged the fret. That sounds like shipping and handling damage, rather than wear-and-tear.

Contacting the seller is always the best thing to do. A dealer will want to set it right, even if it is not their fault. If it is shipping damage, this is what insurance is for.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion