The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-14-2017, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

It depends on what kind of music you play and other things.... Flatpicker, Strummer, fingerstyle. I don't think you can go wrong with a HD-28 though.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-14-2017, 08:55 PM

As others have stated, play as many brands and models as you can. Do not let yourself get stuck on certain brands.
There are a lot of very nice guitars out there, just because you keep hearing about certain brands, doesn't mean they are the "only" ones you should consider.
Another thing, certain brands are in my opinion are overpriced, you'll play a bunch and certain ones "will" standout to "you", and that's all that matters.
Enjoy the journey! and best of luck.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_214ce View Post
I would consider the Epiphone EJ 200 a high quality guitar.
I have one!
Old 10-15-2017, 10:50 AM

IMO it takes a few years of hard playing before a D28 really reaches the sound it's famous for. Mine sounded pretty tight and focused (good but didn't 'blow me away' ) for the first few years. But this fall, come the cool dry weather, it is now loosening/opening? up and getting 'that sound'. Big, deep, 3-D, chimey. Pretty glorious. Both my mahogany guitars kinda got there a lot earlier in their lives.

Just something to keep in mind while deciding.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenL View Post
IMO it takes a few years of hard playing before a D28 really reaches the sound it's famous for. Mine sounded pretty tight and focused (good but didn't 'blow me away' ) for the first few years. But this fall, come the cool dry weather, it is now loosening/opening? up and getting 'that sound'. Big, deep, 3-D, chimey. Pretty glorious. Both my mahogany guitars kinda got there a lot earlier in their lives.

Just something to keep in mind while deciding.
Thanks for that. Going to a store this week to try a Lowden but they also stock D28s so will compare directly.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:23 PM

What about a nice J45 Standard a Hummingbird or a Vintage version of either
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 10-15-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 Relic View Post
What about a nice J45 Standard a Hummingbird or a Vintage version of either
I will try. The store i was supposed to visit tomorrow has a huge range of all brands. Unfortunately storm Orphelia is incoming and there is a red weather alert nationwide with schools closed etc so i wont get out.

Small problem in big scheme of things and hope no one gets hurt. Guitar hunt can wait a few days.
Old 10-15-2017, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdfire View Post
some great advice here guys...thanks a lot....going to London for a weekend at end of November so may fit in a few shops there too.
Wildwood Music in Coshocton Ohio stocks a reasonable sampling of Avalons. I've bought my Taylors and my lone Martin from them and have been impressed by the Avalons they have in stock. There are indeed Irish guitars that are well made and sound great, but are a bit out of my price range!
Old 10-15-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
...I think I'm obsessed with guitars!
We don't allow your kind around here.

Have you checked out some of the fine UK builders, like Lowden, for example?
Old 10-15-2017, 08:47 PM
Charter Member

Can I suggest you try the used market. You will save around a third off new and can sell the guitar on if you ever want to at around what you paid for it. You will find some surprising bargains that enable you to go that bit higher up the quality ladder. I’ve owned a lot of guitars in my life and only a tiny proportion were new when I got them.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 10-16-2017, 08:08 AM

Ditto to all the posts suggesting play many, check out the qualities of different woods...and also don't overlook carbon fiber, which has many fine qualities itself.

A mistake I made in your situation was not understanding all of the implications of materials, shapes, scale length, brand, and more. Play many, talk to knowledgeable sales people, keep reading around this forum, have a great time in the search and good luck!
Old 10-16-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Yankee View Post
In all honesty - if I were in your shoes I'd try out everything I could get my hands on. Take some nice day trips afield with the wife and drop in as many guitar stores as you can. There are a lot of excellent guitars out there for that kind of money.

and by the way - welcome to the forum!
+1 ^

Wait until one calls to you. That's the one.
'05 Larrivée 0M-03 Custom (bear claw/hog), '13 Kronbauer TDK 285 MJ Custom (koa), '94 Froggy Bottom Custom (koa) dread', '08 Seagull Artist (EIR), '19 Gnome Blues Custom (EIR/T13? redwood), '78 S. Yairi 726 (hog), '84 K Yairi AR377, 1905 Vega parlor (hog), 60's Stella,'94 Saudi Tele', '79 Epi Genesis

"Your sound is in your hands ... ... more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." - SRV
Old 10-16-2017, 09:21 AM

I agree with everyone here. Play a lot of guitars. Decide if you like the Gibson tone or the Lowden tone. The two are very different. I play both and love em.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 10-16-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Great quote...the McElroys seem out of my reach ...but Lowden and Avalon are so im going to check em out....

If you are coming here be sure to avoid the tourist traps...much nicer "real" places to see
I've been to the Emerald Isle before, and traveled a self drive two week tour - staying in different locations nearly every night. Next time we are going to pick about three spots, stay a week at the same place in each those spots, and do things a little differently.

Guitar shops will be part of the plan, so one of the spots looks to be Dublin or a little north of Dublin - I've got a couple of likely shops picked out around Drogheda. We may not actually make it to Downpatrick since the last spot is currently going to be in the south west of Ireland, but the shops around Drogheda appear to carry the right sort of guitars.

I'm likely to make the trip in 2019 by the looks of things, so I would be quite interested in any recommendations you may develop regarding guitar shops in the meantime.....
Seagull Natural Elements Dreadnaught
Taylor 418e
Taylor 514ce LTD
Old 10-16-2017, 02:36 PM

Triple Neck Gibson Console Grande

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion