The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-14-2017, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Sounds like the time my sister in law had to sell her stick shift Honda Civic because of foot issues. My brother needed a better car so I asked her what she wanted, which I thought was fair to both parties, so I wrote her a check, took her car shopping for an automatic and gave my brother her old car.

Months later she told my wife she should have gotten more for her car. Classic victim personality. Some people thrive, or rather wallow, in drama.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 10-14-2017, 02:47 PM

There is no winning this. If you offered a rebate, that would confirm their accusation that you took advantage of him. So don't do that.

If you took them back, your wife would be unhappy because you did not thin the herd and you did not cash in on the sale. She could use the money, you know...

Stand your ground. The fair price is the price that is transacted. Tell both wives to look up how much new ones cost. That will shut them up in a hurry because, heh, heh, they will be looking at MSRP or MAP.

(I am assuming that you really did not take advantage of him. Whatever gave them the thought that you took advantage of him? Do they know anything about guitars?)

Anyway, he won some $$$$$ so the guitars are already partially or wholly paid for.

It will soon slide when you stop reacting and treat it as a non-issue. Buy your wife something nice with the sales proceeds or take her out to a nice restaurant. It will soon be forgotten. Don't know about the other guy but that is his problem to solve.

Adults, right?

I hope I will never regret staying single...

Last edited by Jabberwocky; 10-14-2017 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-14-2017, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Why would your wife scrutinize the monetary part of selling two guitars that the new owner is happy with?
You made him happy in the sale. Add that he is now playing his new guitars for even more happiness.

Seems like your wife, or your sense of guilt, are the only unhappy things here. Maybe just a phone call saying you would gladly refund, in the same condition, the guitars if he becomes disenchanted? I usually do that with my sales.
Old 10-14-2017, 02:55 PM

THING 1:
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenL View Post
If he's satisfied and you're satisfied, just let troublemakers be troublemakers...
THING 2:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Yankee View Post
Besty's hubby is, presumably, a grown man, and as such, he ought to be capable of making his own decisions. ...
THING 3:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
I'd offer, to him directly, to take one or both back ... Make sure there's an ending date on the offer...
These are what I would do. Thing 3 only enters into the equation because of the women involved. The offer to return the guitars are only if YOU feel YOU want to offer a branch. The offer would be a one-time, now or never, offer. Period. This is why I NEVER try to assist friends or family with purchases and NEVER sell anything of mine to someone near to me.

Case in point, I was recently asked to play at a niece's wedding coming up in February. I said no. Reasons: It's like having a pickup truck and a lot of unstable friends, once you help one move everyone asks "Hey, Josh, do you still have that truck........?" So I don't. Secondly If I'm coming to your wedding/event, I want to enjoy myself and be able to vanish when I get bored. I'm not here to save you money.
Old 10-14-2017, 02:56 PM

Strangers offering advise to strangers !~!~!

Was the price fair, do the wife's know what a fair price is, does the buyer even play, is this any of our business..............

Talk about drama, tell your wife you posted on a forum to get a bunch of strangers totally uninformed opinions, that will get you some real drama...

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 10-14-2017, 02:57 PM

If it were me, I would offer to buy them back for as a wise (married) man once said: Do want to be right or do you want to be happy?
Old 10-14-2017, 02:57 PM

As was mentioned, establish value through reverb or a snapshot of the classified section here. How are the girls supposed to know the market and worth of guitars nowadays? A quick look around should bring things into line. Try to remember the last time your wife made a purchase and you thought, "What? You paid that much for skin cream?" (or whatever) The answer is the going price. That's what it goes for. You had no idea. As long as your number is in line it's just a matter of understanding. Don't let a good thing go bad and don't let a bad thing fester. We all walk a line. Peace. From a stranger.

Last edited by Jobe; 10-14-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-14-2017, 03:04 PM

I agree with the advice posted above:

1. In the future, avoid selling or trading with close friends and family. Too many chances for hard feelings down the road.

2. In this case, offer to buy them both back at the same price, with a deadline of tomorrow night. That gives everybody a chance to think it over, and a chance to check the going prices to confirm your prices were fair.
Old 10-14-2017, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknblues View Post
If it were me, I would offer to buy them back for as a wise (married) man once said: Do want to be right or do you want to be happy?
Exactly! This is not a matter of some logical right or wrong. It's a matter of emotions based on factors that the OP may not even understand such as the wife already having plans for the gambling winnings. No amount of haggling over a few dollars this way or that is going to change the ill will generated by the sale, possibly at any price. "Do you want to go home or go to jail?" As Denzel said in "Training Day." Or as blacknblues said, "Do you want to be right or do you want to be happy?"
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-14-2017, 03:19 PM

All I know is when I read posts like this I shake my head and then I'm grateful for the wife that i have.

Sorry for your troubles.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 10-14-2017, 03:20 PM

Now now, guys, there's too little info here to fault the women. We don't know - maybe the buyer got home and complained to his wife that the mean old guitar guy made him pay too much money.
Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Cordoba 24T tenor ukulele
Kanile'a Islander MST-4 tenor ukulele
Kiwaya KTC-1 concert ukulele
Kolohe concert ukulele
Mainland Mahogany soprano ukulele
Ohana SK-28 soprano ukulele
Brüko No. 6 soprano ukulele
Old 10-14-2017, 03:23 PM

Maybe I missed it but it seems like the only one who seem to have a problem with the price are the wives. What does the husband who bought the guitars think of the deal? THAT in my opinion is the only thing that matters.
Old 10-14-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
Strangers offering advise to strangers !~!~!

Was the price fair, do the wife's know what a fair price is, does the buyer even play, is this any of our business..............

Talk about drama, tell your wife you posted on a forum to get a bunch of strangers totally uninformed opinions, that will get you some real drama...
i would agree with rich and i'm one of the strangers.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 10-14-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
It will always be an issue. Buy them back.....
Yep. SOMEONE (can’t predict who, but definitely one or more of the four you) will always be unhappy with the current situation, or with whatever solution you attempt to implement. Buy them back.

See post #24 for a complete explanation.
Old 10-14-2017, 03:54 PM

Hmmmm a dilemma begun because two adult, grown, men came to a mutual agreement - this should have been the end of the story. No one else should have gotten involved. When his wife complained to your wife, she should have said what mine would have, "this is between them". Period.

Now that it has come to this - there is no good outcome. Stay the course and his wife , and by extension yours, won't be happy. Buy them back and at least you, and possibly your friend, will be unhappy. Good luck.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic