The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-10-2017, 10:25 PM
Charter Member

Sorry to read this news. These fires were fast moving and devastating, and many people had little or no time to evacuate. Thoughts to Howard and any others on AGF, who may be affected by the fires.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:37 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Yes, so sad. I wonder if they had anytime at all to gather up anything, whether irreplaceable personal affects or business materials. Hope so, including that they carry insurance.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:10 AM

It would be great if it were possible for some of Howard's previous customers to get together, use their networking skills, and organize a benefit concert for him.

Whether he actually needs the money or not wouldn't be the point at issue ... organizing such a concert would be a positive way of showing him that he is valued by the luthierie and guitar community at large, and provide some kind of uplift at a time when he must be feeling really downcast.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I was relieved to hear that Howard and his wife are safe and saddened to hear that he lost his home and shop. I live on the other side of town from Bruce. Things are still very stressful here. Svea (another forum member) and another friend evacuated late yesterday and are now staying at my house (Along with 2 cats and many guitars). She has heard from other folks in the guitar community offering support.

Thanks for every one's good thoughts. It is through communities like the AGF and friends and neighbors that will support our folks like Howard through both the ongoing situation and the recovery process.

Best,
Jayne
Old 10-11-2017, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Yes, so sad. I wonder if they had anytime at all to gather up anything, whether irreplaceable personal affects or business materials. Hope so, including that they carry insurance.
I have not spoken directly to Howard, but I know from other people in that community that the fire came in so quickly in the middle of the night that many only got out with the clothes on their backs. It really was a no-warning situation.

Best,
Jayne
Old 10-11-2017, 10:56 AM

Thanks for the concern. Yes, we lost everything, house and shop. All guitars, all woods, all tools, all personal belongings.

We evacuated at 2am Monday, with no notice or assistance from any authorities. I stayed up to track the progress of the fires after smelling smoke a few hours earlier. When I stepped outside to check how much smoke there was a little before 2 the fires were still reported to be 5 or 6 miles away. I saw a red glow in the sky and realized that they were much closer--within half a mile and moving rapidly. Neighbors were driving through the streets honking their horns and evacuating. I woke my wife and we phoned some neighbors and woke up a couple of them who were unaware of the emergency; others were already awake or gone. With spot fires beginning around nearby houses, we grabbed our pets and a few pieces of clothing and got out. Of the 100+ homes in our community on Bennett Ridge, about 75% were destroyed.

The emergency is not yet passed. Winds have come back up and new fires are spreading this morning.

We have our lives and our friends. Many of mine are here on AGF.

I have no need of any financial assistance. There are many others here who do. Please, no efforts for me along those lines.

I do not know if I will build guitars again. A well-equipped shop and a stash of premium woods take years to assemble, cost aside. At 68 I don't know if I can do it again. But right now we are taking it a day at a time.

Thanks again for all the good wishes.

Last edited by Howard Klepper; 10-11-2017 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:02 AM

So sorry to hear this. Thoughts and prayers being sent.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
We evacuated at 2am Monday, with no notice or assistance from any authorities. .
Jeez Howard, I had assumed that you were woken up by the local police ... oh man, you were lucky (if that doesn't sound too ironic) ...
Old 10-11-2017, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for checking in with us here, Howard. I am in the area so pm me if I can be of help.

Best,
Jayne
Old 10-11-2017, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Good to hear you are safe Howard, but can only imagine the pain associated with this tragedy. Best of luck going forward.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
Thanks for the concern. Yes, we lost everything, house and shop... Of the 100+ homes in our community on Bennett Ridge, about 75% were destroyed. The emergency is not yet passed...
I have no need of any financial assistance... I do not know if I will build guitars again. A well-equipped shop and a stash of rare woods take years to assemble...
It is so good to hear from you, Howard, that you two got out safely, and that you're okay financially. Of course, we are all saddened by your loss and those of your neighbors, but it is at times like this that we realize more clearly that ever before what is important, and what's less important. I can't begin to advise you on building again - just know that the instruments and reputation you had built are held in very high regard by the whole custom guitar world, and if you never build another guitar, you would leave some big shoes for someone else to try to fill.

cotten
Old 10-11-2017, 12:01 PM

Howard, if you feel that setting up shop again is not an option for you, maybe I could suggest that you might want to consider something which I mentioned to you on the AGF years ago ...namely, that you take time out to write your autobiography, and combine it with your philosophy on guitar building.

I am certain that such a volume would be a best seller among guitar books.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:02 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Howard, I can only imagine how you and your family must be feeling. My heart sinks for you. Murrmac made a really good suggestion. I’d like to add to it.

You may have followed “The Group of Seven Guitar Project” thread posted in the AGF Custom Shop subforum by Canadian luthier, David Wren, where Linder Manzer organized seven of the most prominent Canadian luthiers who originally apprenticed inder Jean Larrivée, to each build an acoustic guitar to be inspired by one of the long-deceased world famous Canadian painters collectively know as “The Group of Seven”. A documentary film was made of the project which has been showing in select movie theaters across Canada. My wife and I went to see it about a month ago, and although there was just us and another family in the evening audience, that family was the Sergei deJonge family, Sergei as another of the seven luthiers in the project. Sergei’s shop is about 100 yards down the old tracks from my home in Chelsea, Quebec. Of course, as neighbors, we chatted after the film. The film was very good. Artists like Bruce Cockburn were selected to perform with the project guitars. It was clear that this project was a labor of love.

With where you’re now finding yourself, if it has never before happened in the U.S., or even if it has in some form, perhaps a similar American version could/should be undertaken. Theme possibilities are endless. I’m sure that many prominent luthiers would love to participate in something like that. Maybe you could lead such a project, including the making of a documentary film. Heck, dedication, proceeds, whatever, could go toward helping affected luthiers or anyone else of choosing. I’m sure any number of fellow lutheries would be proud to let you use their shop. So, maybe there’s at least one more guitar left for you to build...a real special one.

Anyhow...just trying to give you something to look forward to in these tough times. The very best of luck to you!

Here’s the link to the Group of Seven Project thread...

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=466098

Edit: Thinking about it more, with all Howard has going on to deal with, perhaps suggesting such a project at this trying time may have not have been the most appropriate thing for me to have done. But I did, and if it seems insensitive, I’m sorry.

Last edited by Acousticado; 10-11-2017 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:13 PM

Howard - Simply - I'm glad that you, your wife and your pets made it out alive!

Be well.

Rick
Old 10-11-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
Howard - Simply - I'm glad that you, your wife and your pets made it out alive!
That's what is important.

Mr. Klepper, you ceasing to build guitars would make this an even greater tragedy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
I am certain that such a volume would be a best seller among guitar books.
Can I order my copy now?
et al

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic