The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-29-2017, 11:46 PM
Charter Member

Default any owners of the Gretsch Streamliner series?

how do you like it overall, and which model do you have?

tell me the good, bad and ugly please

thanks
d
Old 09-30-2017, 01:54 AM

Have you browsed over here?

http://www.gretsch-talk.com/forums/s...tsch-forum.40/

Might matter if you are thinking vintage or not.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:22 AM

Old Gretsch guy here (my grandparents lived three blocks from the 60 Broadway Brooklyn factory, still own the Double Annie I bought brand-new in 1964) - probably played a few hundred originals in my lifetime (if you grew up in Brooklyn in the early/mid-60's your first "good" guitar was most likely a Gretsch - or a Guild from just across the river in Hoboken), tried every new model I could get my hands on since Fred Jr. revived the company...

I'll assume you're a knowledgeable guy when it comes to what makes guitars tick, Daryl, and if you're after an inexpensive way to get "That Great Gretsch Sound" - not everyone's cuppa tea, but unmistakable when you hear it - you'll be disappointed with the 2600 Streamliner Series IMO; I've tried a few, and while they're clearly trying to evoke an early/mid-50's Brooklyn vibe (block inlays, Synchromatic-style tailpiece, small plexi knobs) they're every bit the entry-level instrument they're intended to be - the new "Broad'tron" pickups (which I suspect were simply recycled from the old 5100-Series Electromatics) don't really have "that" sound, and if it's just a matter of looking for a hollow/semi in this price range IMO you'd be better-served with one of the Ibanez Artstar line...

That said, a few extra bucks can get you far more guitar for your money; if you're looking to cop the classic golden-era Gretsch visual/sonic vibe without laying down $2K-4K for a MIJ Professional Series instrument, I highly recommend the Korean-made 5400/5600 Electromatic Series. I've played every one I could get my hands on, bought a now-discontinued 3-PU 5622T-CB in May '16 (NGD posted at that time if you're interested), A/B'd them against comparable Professional Series models, and I can say without reservation that not only are they the equal of the Pro Series in tone/QC/playability, but I'd rate them as some of the finest instruments ever to bear the Gretsch marque (exceeding many if not most of the Brooklyn originals that have been through my hands - and I played those when they were still new); good news is that you can also get something that matches your preferred aesthetic - White Falcon (single- or double-cut), Country Club, Country Gent (single- or double-cut - I've seen a few local-level Beatles-tribute bands using the latter), 6120 (single- or double-cut), Duo-Jet/Jet Firebird, Viking, and even the Fairlane-Blue Brian Setzer Hot Rod, they're all there - and at under $1K (well under in some cases) if you're a serious electric player and don't already have a Gretsch in your stable, you almost can't afford not to own one...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 09-30-2017 at 10:27 AM.
Old 09-30-2017, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Old Gretsch guy here (my grandparents lived three blocks from the 60 Broadway Brooklyn factory, still own the Double Annie I bought brand-new in 1964) - probably played a few hundred originals in my lifetime (if you grew up in Brooklyn in the early/mid-60's your first "good" guitar was most likely a Gretsch - or a Guild from just across the river in Hoboken), tried every new model I could get my hands on since Fred Jr. revived the company...

I'll assume you're a knowledgeable guy when it comes to what makes guitars tick, Daryl, and if you're after an inexpensive way to get "That Great Gretsch Sound" - not everyone's cuppa tea, but unmistakable when you hear it - you'll be disappointed with the 2600 Streamliner Series IMO; I've tried a few, and while they're clearly trying to evoke an early/mid-50's Brooklyn vibe (block inlays, Synchromatic-style tailpiece, small plexi knobs) they're every bit the entry-level instrument they're intended to be - the new "Broad'tron" pickups (which I suspect were simply recycled from the old 5100-Series Electromatics) don't really have "that" sound, and if it's just a matter of looking for a hollow/semi in this price range IMO you'd be better-served with one of the Ibanez Artstar line...

That said, a few extra bucks can get you far more guitar for your money; if you're looking to cop the classic golden-era Gretsch visual/sonic vibe without laying down $2K-4K for a MIJ Professional Series instrument, I highly recommend the Korean-made 5400/5600 Electromatic Series. I've played every one I could get my hands on, bought a now-discontinued 3-PU 5622T-CB in May '16 (NGD posted at that time if you're interested), A/B'd them against comparable Professional Series models, and I can say without reservation that not only are they the equal of the Pro Series in tone/QC/playability, but I'd rate them as some of the finest instruments ever to bear the Gretsch marque (exceeding many if not most of the Brooklyn originals that have been through my hands - and I played those when they were still new); good news is that you can also get something that matches your preferred aesthetic - White Falcon (single- or double-cut), Country Club, Country Gent (single- or double-cut - I've seen a few local-level Beatles-tribute bands using the latter), 6120 (single- or double-cut), Duo-Jet/Jet Firebird, Viking, and even the Fairlane-Blue Brian Setzer Hot Rod, they're all there - and at under $1K (well under in some cases) if you're a serious electric player and don't already have a Gretsch in your stable, you almost can't afford not to own one...
Great post. Thank you for sharing this info. I am very interested in a Gretsch as well.
Old 09-30-2017, 04:59 PM

I have a goldtop electromatic Gretsch.... my favorite electric guitar, It sits in my bedroom studio waiting for me......wonderful guitar.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars