The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-25-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fingers View Post
I'll be interested to read players' reviews. I never use Martin strings anymore, finding them consistently inferior and short-lived compared to other brands. It's always surprised me that such a major maker would offer such mediocre strings under its own brand. I keep trying their new offerings in the hope of being wrong, but am always disappointed. Great guitars, meh strings.
I agree very much with Mr Fingers, I've tried every type of Martin strings and they are always short-lived and have a weird sibilance when strung on my cedar guitar. The new-ish D'Addario Nickel Bronze ones sound the best so far, but those are pretty expensive!
Old 03-02-2017, 03:02 AM

I just have to revive this thread. Martin, are we there yet?
Old 03-02-2017, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrome View Post
I agree very much with Mr Fingers, I've tried every type of Martin strings and they are always short-lived and have a weird sibilance when strung on my cedar guitar. The new-ish D'Addario Nickel Bronze ones sound the best so far, but those are pretty expensive!
That's the opposite of my experience about Martin strings.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:03 AM

Thumbs up This is getting crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Martin just found a way to charge you $40 for a set of strings. Genius. And they are marketed towards old guys with money and reduced hand strength. Think they don't know their market? ;-)

LOL That's as nuts as paying $30+ for a flat pick Ahh, what a great scam
Old 03-02-2017, 04:28 PM

Finally, we get to hear the titanium strings - To skip right into the comparison head to 7:51

Tell me what you think? Sounds yucky to me PB sounds better.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:14 PM

I think if you like retro strings like me, you will love these!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2017, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspencer View Post
Finally, we get to hear the titanium strings - To skip right into the comparison head to 7:51

Sorry if the authors read this, but that's an awful comparison. The strumming part is unhelpful as the mic position makes them both sound thumpy and dreadful. It's like choosing between chicken or steak, that have both been dunked in motor oil...
The fingerpicking would be much more useful, except for the fact that they change chords when they switch to the other string, so you're not getting an equal comparison.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:22 PM

Unfortunately not on my Martin. I have pure nickels round core Pyramids on my Fender American Strat CS54 pickups. I guess I'll stick to the best strings I've had on my Martin all along: Lifespan PB 98/2. Nothing beats that, not even Gold Plated Optimas.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Sorry if the authors read this, but that's an awful comparison. The strumming part is unhelpful as the mic position makes them both sound thumpy and dreadful. It's like choosing between chicken or steak, that have both been dunked in motor oil...
The fingerpicking would be much more useful, except for the fact that they change chords when they switch to the other string, so you're not getting an equal comparison.
I'm sure they have better players then those two. I hope someone would do a proper review, like Tony Polecastro!
Old 03-03-2017, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspencer View Post

I thought the comparison was well done for a low budget. The playing was just fine. And, I agree that the phosphor bronze provided more warmth, top sparkle, and low end.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:34 AM

"Cryogenically treated" means what? They dunk them in liquid nitrogen, then thaw them out again? Or spray nitrogen gas (from a cryo cylinder) at them on the assembly line?
I can't imagine that is going to make strings last any significantly longer. The new Ernie Ball strings are supposedly doing this too.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 03-03-2017, 08:49 AM

Default Martin Titanium Core Strings

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
"Cryogenically treated" means what? They dunk them in liquid nitrogen, then thaw them out again? Or spray nitrogen gas (from a cryo cylinder) at them on the assembly line?

I can't imagine that is going to make strings last any significantly longer. The new Ernie Ball strings are supposedly doing this too.

I think his has been around for 20 plus years. I think it was a Dean Markley product called Blue Steel.

Edit: indeed. My memory severed me well.

http://www.deanmarkley.com/products/...steel-acoustic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 03-03-2017, 08:59 AM

Cryogenic treatment of steel typically involves quenching the material in liquid nitrogen (-300 F). It transforms any retained austenite in the crystal structure to martensite. Martensite is the structure that gives steel it's strength. Thus the cryo treatment will increase the hardness and strength of the base material. However, it can also result in a slight loss of toughness. It's affect on guitar string tone is up to the individual to decide.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:26 AM

Update: Expected to Ship 04-28-2017 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...-light-tension
Old 04-21-2017, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ras1500 View Post
Cryogenic treatment of steel typically involves quenching the material in liquid nitrogen (-300 F). It transforms any retained austenite in the crystal structure to martensite. Martensite is the structure that gives steel it's strength. Thus the cryo treatment will increase the hardness and strength of the base material. However, it can also result in a slight loss of toughness. It's affect on guitar string tone is up to the individual to decide.
I'm an engineer with a strong materials background. Cyrogenic treatment is not BS. It rearranges the microstructure of steel into a more organized pattern. Best, it has no downsides. It only improves the characteristics.

How that translates to guitar strings, I've no idea - but cryo treatment can make a big difference in the service life of many stressed components like gears, springs, connecting rods, rifle barrels, etc etc.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion