The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-29-2016, 07:35 PM
Guest 928

CecilT;

I have tried various "silent guitars." I found that I like a body to hold. I thought the Yamaha was particularly nice, but alas, no body.

The Rick turner N6 is really sweet. AC's video illustrates how good the guitar really is. I'm looking at it, along with many other possibilities.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceciltguitar View Post
https://www.michaelkellyguitars.com/...rick-turner-n6

At a reasonable price, this might interest you.
Interesting, I was not aware Rick licensed any of his designs.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=451176

1991 Gibson Chet Atkins CEC Nylon $1350
Old 12-01-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceciltguitar View Post
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=451176

1991 Gibson Chet Atkins CEC Nylon $1350
Love those Atkins models!
Old 12-01-2016, 01:07 PM
Guest 928

I had a Chet, a really sweet instrument, one well suited to Mr. Atkins' play. It was too heavy for me. I think Epiphone also made a version of the same guitar.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
As most of you know, I am into nylon string guitars. In one five year period I went through 40-some guitars. I'm now going back to pursue one particular type of nylon string guitar--the electric.

I've owned the Gibson Chet Atkins and Godin solid body electric nylon string guitars which were early entries into electrified nylons. They were both way too heavy for my taste. The Parker is a cool solid body guitar, but it is too light for my taste. What I would like is a hollow body nylon string electric.

The Kirk Sand and Rick Turner seem to be the top of the thin, hollow-bodied, electric nylon string guitars, but they are beyond my price point as far as exploration is concerned. And so, I've been looking at the bottom of the line.

I would be interesting in knowing if any of you have had any experience with any of the inexpensive products. For examples: the Angel Lopez ec3000cn, the Antonio Hermosa Ah-50, the Hadean EA-100.

I would also be interested in other options along the same line. This type of guitar is a jazz instrument. I suspect that it has a fairly limited market, but an important one. I would like to see, what the fuss?

Look for a good deal on a used Turner. Quite the instrument.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:01 PM

Evan, young feller me lad, have you overlooked ceciltguitar's helpful post about Carvin Guitars (now known as Kiesel Guitars)?

Their CL450 semi-hollow electric classical looks great. I have one of their basses, and the workmanship is superb.

The CL450 comes standard with mahogany body and cedar top, but can be customized with a huge array of top woods, stains, or paint.

The body is 2 ½" thick, 14" wide. The neck width is 1 ⅞", with ebony fretboard and dual carbon fiber reinforcements rods in addition to the adjustable truss rod. It weighs a reasonable 4.75 lbs.

Aside from a small in-stock selection, all their instruments are made-to-order, with a 10-day return option (they are direct sale only). I believe that they will even eliminate the soundhole for you!

Check it out: http://www.kieselguitars.com/catalog/guitars/cl450

Old 12-06-2016, 01:15 PM

Here ya go! $200 now but ya never know?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rick-Turner-...wAAOSwiDFYRKor
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 12-06-2016, 04:21 PM
Guest 928

Steve;

Be still my beating heart. I would guess that this item will end up somewhere around the $600-$800 level. Besides, I'm banned, forever, from Ebay, alas.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:48 PM

Evan, I'm just thinking out loud here, but if you liked the Yamaha silent guitar and did not care about bulk for travel, it would not be difficult to craft a "body" instead of those body-shaped sides it comes with that remove for storage and transport. A project like that might be easier than chasing the unobtanium model....
Old 12-07-2016, 10:19 AM
Guest 928

Earl;

thank you for your thoughts, am thinking along the same lines. Years ago I made a silent guitar along the lines of the Yamaha and designed bouts with a bit of body. It was made with Mesquite wood from my yard and was pretty neat--but it was somehow not satisfactory.

So then I made two nylon string electric guitars, one solid body and one thin hollow body. The solid body was a bit heavy and the hollow body sounded thin--I put them away and forgot about them.

I've dug out the solid body and I'm bringing it back on line. I went through five Oregon mills looking for the right chunk of redwood and the resulting guitar is beautiful, sounds beautiful, and plays well. It's a bit heavy, but it's taking the pressure off my desire for a nylon string electric guitar.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:01 PM

Two days ago I bought an Antonio Hermosa AH-50.

I'm delighted with it. Been playing the heck out of it, the proverbial 'can't put it down' situation!

It's not perfect--the tuning gears will probably be upgraded eventually. And it's heavier than the Godin--but that's fixable: I've routed-out mass from the back of electric solid bodies to make them lighter--will probably do the same to the AH-50 eventually.

The back-story: last thursday I tried a Godin Multiac for the first time. I loved it but the price is SO steep.

Saturday morning the monthly e-mail 'newsletter' arrived from a fave local music shop. Scrolling through it, I saw the Antonio Hermosa--it looked quite similar to the Godin. $239. Went there, played it, bought it.

It suits my needs and budget. Satisfied.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:34 AM
Guest 928

Jane;

Congratulations on your new guitar, it seems that it was fated. I checked out the Antonio and the Angel Lopez EC3000CN, two very similar guitars. I just ordered the the Lopez on line and hope it turns out as nice as your purchase. The only reason I got the Lopez instead of the Antonio is the weight factor--the Lopez is a bit lighter.

One of the advantages of wood is that there are more options at all economic levels.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:48 PM
Guest 928

Alas;

The Lopez came in with a neck not set right and not fixable. Sent it back.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:53 PM

Hope you get it taken care of.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber