The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-13-2017, 02:47 PM

Regarding VTS....Though I own a standard HD-28V,which I truly love,I'd really like to get my hands on a VTS model! This won't happen,but I've played the non VTS vs VTS version of the HD-28 and it was no contest.The VTS was fabulous...and...superior.I also own a Thermo topped H&D dread and have had the experience of playing 4 of the exact models that were non thermo'd (pretty much the same as VTS) and it's no contest! The torrified/thermo "thing" is NOT a marketing gimmick!

As for a $700 upcharge....Whew,that's a bit steep,but it is what it is.I paid only about $250 upcharge for my H&D.If I had the cash,assuming I was still in the HD-28v hunt,I'd still go for it.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

thanks y'all!! everyone here has been great ...yessss Ted maury and jon are giving me great deals that my local Sam Ash and guitar center are not. still on the fence between the hd28v or the hd28vts if there is a DIFFERENCE and richness in sound that Jon claims...couldnt tell from the video....I will go for it...being patient for now....thanks for all the help.....
Old 10-13-2017, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

Ohh Jon did mention that he had a d 28 marquis adirondack?for a good price.. is this guitar in the same league as the HD 28v??? anyone play or owned the Marquis???
thanks again....
Old 10-13-2017, 07:02 PM

You'd probably be ahead asking these questions of Jon, Ted, Maury or a few other retailers that sell a ton of these. They want you to get the right guitar. People here just spout off whatever their favorite guitar is.
Baby Taylor (spruce)
La Patrie Concert (cedar/mahogany)
Assorted Strats and Teles
Old 10-13-2017, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

I don't think it's possible to go wrong with an HD28V. I've bought more guitars from Jon at My Favorite Guitars than I have from anyone. You can't go wrong there either.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:58 PM

Default martin HD 28v advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingchet View Post
Ohh Jon did mention that he had a d 28 marquis adirondack?for a good price.. is this guitar in the same league as the HD 28v??? anyone play or owned the Marquis???

thanks again....

The Marquis is a step above the HD28V. It has an Adirondack top and the golden era bracing which is lighter and more resonant. It also has the 1-3/4” nut width and modified v neck. I own both of these guitars you are considering. The Marquis is louder and more resonant, but the HD28V is no slouch by any means.

Last edited by martingitdave; 10-13-2017 at 08:35 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:29 PM

The Marquis is Adi topped,I believe and will sound different.A great martin nevertheless.I have a Bourgeois Adi topped/Brazilian dread,which is very different than my HD-28V....It is drier and punchier,with a brilliance that only comes from Brazilian RW....but....I LOVE the standard HD-28V and could not be without it.The Sitka/EIR combo is fantastic on this model.One reason wht martin sells quite a bit of these.....ARGH! I'd ,ove to score a VTS version,but divorce court would loom large.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:30 PM

I have the hd 28 vts and when I compared it to the hd 28 and the hd 28 v it sounded less bass heavy, more articulate than the other two. It is really a fabulous guitar
Old 10-14-2017, 03:08 AM

I have the D28 Authentic 41 VTS. I would say that with an Adi. top its way more responsive than Sitka, love both but Adi. will open up nicely. The VTS is no joke. I have compared both and it is worth it IMO. The Adi. I think is a little brighter but will settle down a bit in the first couple of years. Look at a used D28 Authentic and a D28 Marquise both killer guitars and a HD28V with Adi. and VTS would be a standout as well. I say Adi. is the way to go, I think it would be a more versatile D28 all around. Then again a used Authentic is hard to beat. I have yet to play one that isn't simply an amazing guitar. I was in your shoes a few years back. I had a Taylor 910, awesome guitar but once I played a HD28V it had to go. I was going to trade it in on one, then played an Authentic 27 D28 which blew everything away. The neck killed it for me after playing. The shop had a D28A 41 VTS on order. I waited a few months, it came in. Both my guitars were traded in on it. Best move I ever made, comfortable neck, Adi. top, VTS, light as a feather, loud, lots of clear bass thanks to the scalloped rear bracing. It had it all for me. Its my only guitar and I bonded instantly with it. I recommend trying out a lot of Martins but if you do have many around you buying on line isn't bad. Most Martins of this level at consistent. All ears are different, happy playing and this is the fun part.

Last edited by mds08; 10-14-2017 at 03:44 AM.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:13 PM
Charter Member

I,just played an HD-28 today. Not the HD-28V. Very impressive guitar. How,would you describe the "HD-28V" model sonically to the standard HD-28?
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 10-19-2017, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
I,just played an HD-28 today. Not the HD-28V. Very impressive guitar. How,would you describe the "HD-28V" model sonically to the standard HD-28?

The HD-28V has forward shifted bracing, and may actually have a few other tweaks under the hood. I can’t recall if it has a smaller bridge plate. The neck is thicker also. It’s more boomy and bass laden.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
The HD-28V has forward shifted bracing, and may actually have a few other tweaks under the hood. I can’t recall if it has a smaller bridge plate. The neck is thicker also. It’s more boomy and bass laden.
exactly...But not in a bad way.....I feel the V to be just"more" of everything yet balanced and very articulate! The tweaks under the hood and slightly different neck I feel all translate in more punch volume overall mojo
Old 10-19-2017, 06:37 AM

Quote:
exactly...But not in a bad way.....I feel the V to be just"more" of everything yet balanced and very articulate! The tweaks under the hood and slightly different neck I feel all translate in more punch volume overall mojo

Agreed. I play the HD-28E Retro and D-28 Marquis, which share the same characteristics. I’ve heard people complain about the boominess of Martin dreadnoughts. However, I’ve always felt that tone is in the fingers. And, it’s easy to dial the bass back with your technique. But, should you want the warm and deep tones for some songs, it’s there.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
played a couple of hd28v yesterday in Guitar center union square manhattan....
If you want the one at Guitar Center, they no longer negotiate "deals" like they were once known for. However, ask the salesperson if they have a friends and family coupon for an additional 20% off. Otherwise, I'd find a sponsor here on the forum who'd be willing to negotiate with you.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwinter View Post
If you want the one at Guitar Center, they no longer negotiate "deals" like they were once known for. However, ask the salesperson if they have a friends and family coupon for an additional 20% off. Otherwise, I'd find a sponsor here on the forum who'd be willing to negotiate with you.
GC simply said, are not competitive with great shops like our forum sponsors.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion