The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-17-2017, 05:09 PM

I'm going to ditto a remark made earlier: Do not focus on only the big dreadnought guitars. Play some of the smaller models such as a OO or OOO.

For my ultimate guitar search I spent several months and tried 60 different guitars, and ended up buying a guitar that was too big for me. Loved the sound, but couldn't really play it for long. Very frustrating. Eventually traded up to a smaller guitar, which had just as much volume and projection, but was so much easier to play.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:53 AM

As is said in the OP i tried a couple of Martins last week and they didnt blow me away. Dont get me wrong, fantastic guitars but i didnt get the feeling that i wouldnt leave the shop without it.

Today i went to a fantastic shop in Dublin and tried three second hand Lowdens. A S35, F23 and 0023.

The S35 was amazing but the 23 was too big for me. But once i got the F23 in my hands that was it. Couldnt put it down. Im now the proud owner of Lowden F23

Traded in my Tanglewood and a got a €4k guitar for €2,800. Could not be happier with it. Put a fresh set of Elixir strings on it and even carried out some adjustments to the truss rod on my Telecaster which i happened to have in the car. Cant wait to get home from work!!!

Thanks for all the great advice guys. Guess i should have left this shop to the last and tried some Taylors etc but i doubt i would have felt any different.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations. Lowdens are wonderful.

I worked in an acoustic shop for about 6 years, and I always enjoyed it when customers found The One.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:03 AM

Congrats on the Lowden. Good to see it was so easy once you got the right one in your hands. I had the same when I bought my Taylor 712e 12 fretter - knew from almost first strum I had to get one: it just felt "right" and sounded exactly what I wanted.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:04 PM

Yes congrats. Great guitar, so I hear. Never played one.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdfire View Post
. . . Im now the proud owner of Lowden F23
Great choice! Congratulations and enjoy it in good health.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:46 PM

Some pics

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion