The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-18-2017, 05:00 PM

Default This little guy is impressive!

I am impressed by what I hear on these clips!
Forget that it's a travel guitar that folds up into a backpack... listen to the volume and bass response on this little guy!

https://youtu.be/4TFTvSe08Kg

https://youtu.be/-OIFPImR7_w

https://youtu.be/1ls1abLUyQ8

It sounds pretty big for such a small guitar. Does anyone have one of these?
Pros? Cons?
1976 Gretsch Chet Atkins Country Gentleman #7670
Old 10-18-2017, 05:12 PM

Hi Randy,

Based on the numbers provided to me, it seems Journey is now in third place as far as number of CF guitars sold, right behind Rainsong and CA, so you should have no problem finding reviews. You might also ask for feedback on the main forum, I sold dozens of OF660's to members who don't visit this section.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:30 PM

Thanks Ted! I should have asked you first!
I still need to call you...
1976 Gretsch Chet Atkins Country Gentleman #7670
Old 10-18-2017, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

I had one until recently. Very nice guitar for what it is. As travel guitars go, the ability to break it down into it's very cool, very excellent backpack case is pretty much the best I've seen. The unplugged sound is pretty darn good with nice lows compared to other guitars it's size. Where I found it really shined was plugged in! The K&K-type SBT pickup sounded great any time I plugged it in. The neck was extremely comfortable. The body shape is small but comfy to play sitting or standing. The Manzer wedge design I found to be a plus. Tuners were very smooth.

There was very little not to love about this guitar. Not a ton of volume played acoustically but then again you wouldn't expect there to be. I was not crazy about the shape/look of the sound hole cutout but other than that there's not much to dislike. All this plus carbon fiber. That's a whole lot of pro's and very little con's. If you need the uber-small breakdown it's pretty unbeatable. I did not need that much portability as I rarely fly and when I do I generally don't take a guitar. After getting an Emerald X7 - also a very small carbon fiber guitar, but does not breakdown like the Journey - I found that the X7 edged out the OF660 in tone and volume. But not by much.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

I have one and is simply the best value CF out there, packed with features without sacrificing tone.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyOK View Post
Thanks Ted! I should have asked you first!
I still need to call you...
Well, we do sell a bunch of them, Randy. Overall, the OF660 has been very well received, and for good reason. From my side of the sales counter, they have no competition when it comes to airline travel, ergonomics are second to none, free K&K style electronics, and a nice warm tone that doesn't scare off people who have never played a CF guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber