The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-07-2011, 05:03 PM

IMHO, it is hard to beat a standard D-18 for picking a Bluegrass lead, on the high strings, in a group setting. But as I mostly finger pick on the couch, I play a scalloped brace version.
The non-scalloped brace guitars, love to be flat picked hard, thus Bluegrass.
The Rosewood body 28 series are all Bass rich, and great for back-up rhythm. Your HD falls right in the middle as a group or solo guitar. So keep it, and save for a D-18.
We all need one of each.
Dale.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:56 PM

Keep the HD28. I have one and love it and I want a D18 as well.

Back in 1978 I bought a new Ovation Balladeer Deluxe that I used in a BG band. All the guys thought it was great and I took a lot of ribbing about it as well, but yes, the Martin is better suited.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:57 PM

Anyone else have experieince between the forward shifted scalloped bracing versus the standard scalloped bracing for bluegrass? God bless...
Old 01-09-2011, 08:31 PM

I really love my HD-28...I'm not a huge bluegrasser, more into the modern forms (Nickel Creek, Avetts, etc.) but I think the guitar is extremely versatile and covers everything very well. Everytime I play a "G" chord I just fall to pieces.

Don't get to caught up in what you "should" be playing...love the one your with...
Old 01-10-2011, 10:39 PM

Anyone else have an opinions of the Martin HD28v for bluegradd? Is the forward shifted scalloped bracing a better sound for the bluegrass style? Again I am looking for ONE GUITAR TO HANDLE BLUEGRASS PLAYING. Thanks. And also, I know it sounds cheesy, but Christ saves us ALL. God bless...
Old 01-10-2011, 11:22 PM

There is just no such thing as the BEST bluegrass guitar ... either the HD-28 or HD-28V will work just fine ... and never have I seen anyone switch back and forth between an 18 and a 28 when they go from lead to rhythm. I wonder if anyone would really tell Tony Rice he needed to toss his D-28 if he really wanted to sound good ... ;-)

Martin's biggest foothold these days is in amateur jams, where people still believe that you have to have a Martin to play bluegrass ... I can't remember the last time I saw a full-time flatpicker playing a new Martin ... there are lots of great options in today's world, and the HD-28 is certainly right there among the top choices.

The best players play the guitar THEY like the best ... you've got a good 'un, so get to pickin'!!!

Playing music with my friends ... March, 2005

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion