The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-14-2014, 05:43 PM

Default String Height

I have been trying to buy a guitar but asking for 3mm action and finding out that 3mm is considered unusually low. Not attainable on a lot of guitars. Supposedly the standard is 4 or even 4.5mm.

To me that seems way high. I have mine at something under 3mm--close to 2.7mm. and 4mm would feel like manipulating guy wires--up near the 12th fret anyway.

I am curios as to what string height (or action) the members here like to use.
What is your guitar set to?
My three main guitars are at 2.7 to 3mm
Old 07-14-2014, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

We had a recent discussion on this, but first question is, are they classical guitars or nylon strung guitars? If not, there's no comparison between nylon and steel. If so, you've been lucky and must play with a pretty light touch.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyChip View Post
I have been trying to buy a guitar but asking for 3mm action and finding out that 3mm is considered unusually low. Not attainable on a lot of guitars. Supposedly the standard is 4 or even 4.5mm.

To me that seems way high. I have mine at something under 3mm--close to 2.7mm. and 4mm would feel like manipulating guy wires--up near the 12th fret anyway.

I am curios as to what string height (or action) the members here like to use.
What is your guitar set to?
My three main guitars are at 2.7 to 3mm
3.0mm is on the low side on the 6th string and on the high side on the 1st string. However, whatever works for you.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 07-14-2014, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

I didn't even think to ask which string Zippy-Chip is measuring. If it's a first string, high "e", nothing wrong with 2.7 mm.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:07 AM

Answer to questions: Classical guitars, 6th string, 12th fret. I play firmly not light.

I saw a GSI video where Pepe Romero was cited by his son as saying a good guitar should be able to play both classical and flamenco. That seems to indicate that he played with low action as well. If that's what he meant then I am in the same camp.

La Catedral: Preludio Saudade (Barrios), with a high action guitar (4mm) is awkward.

Last edited by ZippyChip; 07-15-2014 at 03:56 AM.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:07 AM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

I think the classical concert types like higher action because there's more volume or projection, at least according to a traditional perspective. If you're leaning more toward the flamenco side of things, you may be less concerned about the projection and be able to ignore a bit of the buzzing that necessarily comes with extremely low action and fast runs. I could be wrong here, but I suspect that if you get the action really really tight on even a very fantastic instrument, mild fluctuations in humidity and other environmental factors could easily take the perfect setup into the unpleasant realm.

Having said all that, I don't see why you couldn't, with the right strings and the right saddle setup and the right neck relief, manage a really low string height. It just wouldn't be what I consider a traditional classical setup. This may be what your quote is referring to - the way a flamenco player sets up a traditional Spanish guitar to achieve their specific goals would differ from what a classical guitarist might need to do, but the theoretical perfect guitar might well be able to achieve both, if asked nicely enough (just not at the same time, I think). These days, you can just buy a flamenco guitar or a classical guitar that is already set up for virtually any desired playing style, so it's almost unfair to ask a guitar to be able to do both; it's not exactly a 5 minute adjustment to go back and forth, at least not in my experience.

Edit: I'm not familiar 4mm or 4.5mm as the standard height, that seems high to me as well. Low 3s seems standard for the low E string.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Higher action forces better technique, every time. Better technique produces cleaner and clearer notes and better separation of voices. Particularly useful when playing Barrios.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

That's news to me. As a player of both classical and steel string guitars the lowest action that does not lead to fret buzzes is best - you play better and with less tension.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 07-15-2014, 10:57 AM

dosland: I see you have a Alhambra guitar.
I just ordered a 9P this morning from Maple Street Guitars. I wanted the Linea Pro but action was too high.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:59 AM

on my classical i have 4mm low e - 3mm high e
I just lowed it to 3mm-low e and 2.5 high e biggest mistake.
i should have left it alone
Old 07-15-2014, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

Sure can suck the power and sparkle out of a decent guitar! To go from 4 to 3, moves the saddle down by 2 mm. When the string height at the saddle starts to get below 10 mm, it can really start to change the sound of the instrument. I just raised the action on a Vowinkel Cedar top, yesterday to about 3.7 from about 3.3 on the low E, and it made a noticeable difference in the sound of that guitar.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:09 PM

Timely thread. Just acquired my first classical guitar and was wondering about string height. It plays great so I'm not touching it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical