The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-03-2011, 09:48 AM

Default Help! Uneven volume from new saddle

OK, I've been raving about the new TUSQ saddle I put in my old Guild D 35 a few weeks ago. The acoustic response got much better and the rattle in the Fishman Matrix amplified sound due to the old loose plastic saddle disappeared. The trouble was the action got very high.

To cut a long story short I have sanded down the saddle (underneath to make it as level as I could manage, the top to get the right radius) and have got pretty close to a great action and decent acoustic sound. The problem now is that during this process I couldn't get the amplified sound even. As I was making small adjustments to get the right action and checking my progress I would sometimes get the low E that dominated, then the B string disappeared, and now, with what looks like a perfectly flat bottomed saddle, I have the top and bottom Es a little stronger than the other 4 strings, which seem pretty even now.

One solution that occurred to me was to reduce the break angle on those strings - it's a well-used 35 year old guitar and the strings have taken their toll on the bridge, the pin holes have serious cuts in them where the strings have worn away the wood.

So, short of buying a new saddle blank and only working from the top down, rather than messing about with the side that sits on the pickup, are there any suggestions? I even tried the aluminium foil trick to compensate for uneven pressure, but that didn't help. I'm not looking to change the pickup at the moment, assuming I can sort out this uneven response I am generally very pleased with it.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 12-03-2011, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
OK, I've been raving about the new TUSQ saddle I put in my old Guild D 35 a few weeks ago.
Hi pieterh...

One issue with older guitars is not only getting the bottom of the saddle perfectly flat, but being sure the bottom of the saddle slot is perfectly level.

I'm not equipped to do this, and have always taken my instruments to a tech who has the proper jigs and routers to accomplish this task.

Even if the bottom of the saddle is perfectly flat - if the bottom of the slot is not, then you have issues.

Some use clay to try to accomplish this 'leveling' process, but that to me is just a work-around and not a proper procedure.

Just for your consideration…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-03-2011, 10:50 AM

Assuming the saddle slot is flat I stick abrasives to a flat surface and patiently run the saddle over it. I then check with a straight edge. It is easy to "roll" the ends of the saddle if you are not careful.

Works well for me.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:09 AM

sometimes you need to tighten the strings in a different order..ie tighten the middle two first then A & B then E & E or visa versa

that worked for one of mine that I was having a problem with

Dave
Old 12-03-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchristo View Post
sometimes you need to tighten the strings in a different order..ie tighten the middle two first then A & B then E & E or visa versa

that worked for one of mine that I was having a problem with
At first glance that seems to be just bizarre, but on reflection I think I can see the logic and possible physics of it: tightening the inner strings will concentrate the pressure in the middle and slacken it off towards the edges. Do we assume the flexibility of the pickup is what allows this phenomenon?

As far as the straight edge on the bottom is concerned that is one of the things I had to sort out during the process. It is as straight as possible as far I can tell, both length and width-wise, no rounded edges either.

As far as rounding the ends is concerned, may that not be beneficial in this case? According to Fishman uneven volume is due to uneven pressure, if the outside strings are too loud then wouldn't rounding off the ends of the underside slightly have the desired effect?

Good job a Tusq saddle doesn't cost that much, I'm gonna get a new one next time I'm at the store and try again!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 12-03-2011, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
...As far as the straight edge on the bottom is concerned that is one of the things I had to sort out during the process. It is as straight as possible as far I can tell, both length and width-wise, no rounded edges either.
Hey pieterh...

The saddle slot doesn't need to just be straight, but flat on the bottom (and level). Perhaps it is, but uneven pressure is an elusive term. Each string presses down at a different amount of pressure, and hopefully the builder took that into account, and then tone will reflect it acoustically.

If the slot is flat/level, and the bottom of the saddle is perfectly level, then the pickup is going to reflect what it's being 'fed' acoustically by the strings on the saddle and into the electronics.

Which leads me to a question…If this is posted in the electronic's section, is the uneven tone electronically reproduced, or acoustically reproduced, or both?

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-04-2011, 06:13 AM

Hi Larry, it's the amplified levels that are uneven, acoustically the guitar is sounding better than ever.

Regarding the saddle, it is the underside that I have been concentrating on to get it straight, even and with no rounder edges or corners. It was quite an involved process as the slot is very narrow and the narrow saddle still needed to be made even thinner.

Fishman's installation instructions call for at least 50% of the saddle to show above the slot but this is not possible without either stupidly high action or a major neck reset - and I am doubtful if this is neccessary as the original saddle didn't project so much either. On the other hand the fingerboard does not line up with the top of the bridge so maybe I should reconsider that option

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 12-04-2011, 12:03 PM

This is the major reason--other than ugly tone--that I went to SBTs about 15 years ago. K&K, or roll my own. Mostly roll my own, these days.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification