The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-04-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
I do simulate string tension AND set truss rod compensation before creating the fingerboard surface on my acoustic guitars. Doesn't everybody? Otherwise you're only guessing.
I'm under the impression that not everyone does. But if my ramblings on the topic are simply a case of preaching to the choir, then please disregard and carry on...
Old 05-04-2016, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
That's only true if the neck angle is incorrect, and/or a call is not used when clamping. I know of a few builders that build in the exact method you describe, including Mario Proulx, and don't ever recall him having problems.

What's being described here is a neck alignment issue, NOT what I consider fall-away.
We each see different things, I state what I see, its that simple

I have to repair these issues on a regular basis as I am sure a lot of others do as well.

A passing comment, to set a neck to the correct angle so it shoots for the top of the bridge when fretted, means you are fitting the neck at an angle not in the same lines as the body, so there will always be an issue when the fretboard extension is clamped down. Always....

Its the nature of the beast.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 05-04-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
A passing comment, to set a neck to the correct angle so it shoots for the top of the bridge when fretted, means you are fitting the neck at an angle not in the same lines as the body, so there will always be an issue when the fretboard extension is clamped down. Always....

Its the nature of the beast.

Steve
This is understood and sometimes unavoidable for repair work, and I've done a few for sure (maybe not as much as you I'll concede.) This however never happens with new work... if you figured for it from the start.

For new builds, it's very simple - If you glue the fretboard down to the guitar/neck assembly, without consideration for getting the angles right and surface under the fretboard to begin with, then you will have to true the fretboard afterwards. Then you are compensating for poor construction, or maybe poor planning, and you end up with a fretboard whose thickness varies, which frankly looks bad to me.

With most modern guitars having top domes, this would require a positive neck angle, which if laid out right should give a fretboard whose surface of the top of the frets lines up with the bridge. If the fretboard had to be pulled down then the upper bout at the area under the fretboard extension is not coplanar with the neck because the heel has the improper angle, the upper bout is sunk, or the sides have deformed.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:46 PM

In pictures here is how I do it. This is my Dreadnought work board. I build the lower but dead flat but the upper bout rises up to the head block (which means that after assemble the upper bout 'rises' down to the head block). IT amounts to abut 1/16th in or so. Then the UTB is also arched so what results is a neck angle that draws a straight line to the bridge. I'm always looking for ways to do things better but I don't use any pretension rigs to set up the surface of the fretboard and still manage to get the action as low as anyone has ever desired. I really don't see it as guess work, especially on a new guitar. An old one with a messed up neck perhaps and of course a bass or electric with a long neck I can see that too... maybe

Old 05-05-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
In pictures here is how I do it. This is my Dreadnought work board. I build the lower but dead flat but the upper bout rises up to the head block (which means that after assemble the upper bout 'rises' down to the head block). IT amounts to abut 1/16th in or so. Then the UTB is also arched so what results is a neck angle that draws a straight line to the bridge. I'm always looking for ways to do things better but I don't use any pretension rigs to set up the surface of the fretboard and still manage to get the action as low as anyone has ever desired. I really don't see it as guess work, especially on a new guitar. An old one with a messed up neck perhaps and of course a bass or electric with a long neck I can see that too... maybe

I think the term "dreadnaught plantilla" sounds more fancy than work board! Are you using that extension to also do a "Spanish heel" neck as well?
Old 05-05-2016, 06:30 PM

Quote:
I think the term "dreadnaught plantilla" sounds more fancy than work board! Are you using that extension to also do a "Spanish heel" neck as well?
No I do not do Spanish heal even on classical or flamenco guitars anymore. I have adopted the bolt on butt joint for all guitars, with the exception of Selmer guitars, because it just really works so well. The classical guitar would actually have a reverse angled neck too, or at least dead flat.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
No I do not do Spanish heal even on classical or flamenco guitars anymore. I have adopted the bolt on butt joint for all guitars, with the exception of Selmer guitars, because it just really works so well. The classical guitar would actually have a reverse angled neck too, or at least dead flat.
Interesting... I cant the rim of the upper bout about 1/2 degree, which gives me what I want as far as alignment. I do this before attaching the top, which is braced on a dead flat work board.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Interesting... I cant the rim of the upper bout about 1/2 degree, which gives me what I want as far as alignment. I do this before attaching the top, which is braced on a dead flat work board.
Pretty much the same thing in the end though isn't it?
Old 05-07-2016, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Pretty much the same thing in the end though isn't it?
Close... Same idea just executed differently. Though it looks in your case you have an induced arch, where I have more of a slight "cylindrical" shape.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair