The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 09-25-2017, 01:17 PM

Default String suggestions - Vintage content inside

Ok I need some advice on strings for 2 Archtops that I purchased yesterday. First off, I know nothing about Archtops. I got an email yesterday from a former guitar teacher of mine saying that he was through playing guitar and he wanted to sell his guitars. I jumped on the deal and a couple of hours later I am now the owner of a D'Aquisto New Yorker and a 1950's era Gibson fully acoustic Archtop (not sure of the model). I have not researched these yet but both are missing strings and need a little love. On my acoustics I usually use Elixir Phosphor Bronze. Would that be a proper string choice for an archtop (I'm thinking not)? Give me some suggestions AGF'ers.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:30 PM

If you intend to play the guitar acoustically, any strings you prefer for flattops will work, with the proviso that anything below a 12 gauge set is not likely to drive the top sufficiently.

Is the D'Aquisto an original Jimmy D'Aquisto, or a reissue?
Old 09-25-2017, 02:33 PM

I'd go with Martin Monel 13's to start - you don't say if the D'Aquisto has a pickup, but monel strings have magnetic properties so they'll give you the best of both worlds IMO...
Old 09-25-2017, 05:16 PM

Ok a little extra information. I do plan to play the D'Aquisto New Yorker purely acoustically. It does have a floating pickup. It is not an original it is the re-issue......I wish it was an original! I just got these so I haven't had much time to research them yet. The Gibson says "Model M-3" right above the nut and has a little crown on the headstock. There was something else on the headstock at one time that has fallen off. I was told by my teacher that it was probably a student model that was sold through Sears or something. Stuart Ziff (guitarist for War) told me I should use electric strings on these bad boys, but I just don't know. Seems like you guys are recommending acoustic strings which is what my guitar teacher had on them. I will probably put .012's on the old Gibson and .013's on the D'Aquisto. I'll post more information when I can. I've always wanted a vintage Archtop, they just ooze coolness. If I can figure out how to post pictures I will. Cheers
Old 09-25-2017, 06:12 PM

That old archtop is in fact a Recording King Model M-3, made by Gibson for Montgomery Ward during the pre-war years and roughly comparable to a contemporary L-50; here's a link to a similar instrument:

http://www.retrofret.com/products.asp?ProductID=6142

While I wouldn't go with a heavy-gauge set of the kind that would have been used back in its heyday (14-60 or 15-62, with a wound B) due to the lack of an adjustable truss rod, IME 12's are too light for any vintage archtop - as Bluemonk said, you need to drive the top hard to get any real tone or volume (in spite of your bud's music-biz credentials, nowadays not too many guys outside of jazz circles really "get it" when it comes to acoustic archtops - and I'll venture a guess he's probably played nothing heavier than 11's on any of his guitars over the last 40 years); in addition, the monel 13's I recommended above would be period-correct if you're looking for some real Big Band-era tonal vibe. As far as the D'Aquisto is concerned, since you're going with 13's anyway why not just string it up with the same monel set - FYI they were intended as acoustic strings when they were first introduced, and when you finally decide to plug in (you will, trust me - even if only out of curiosity) you'll get better electric response and balance than you would from a PB or 80/20 set; you'll also find them "slinkier" and easier-fingering than comparable-gauge PB's or 80/20's (in practice they feel a full gauge lighter than their actual designation) - I have them on three different guitars as we speak, and my Godin 5th Avenue archtop's getting a set when it's time for the next string change...
Old 09-26-2017, 07:21 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
That old archtop is in fact a Recording King Model M-3, made by Gibson for Montgomery Ward during the pre-war years and roughly comparable to a contemporary L-50; here's a link to a similar instrument:

http://www.retrofret.com/products.asp?ProductID=6142

While I wouldn't go with a heavy-gauge set of the kind that would have been used back in its heyday (14-60 or 15-62, with a wound B) due to the lack of an adjustable truss rod, IME 12's are too light for any vintage archtop - as Bluemonk said, you need to drive the top hard to get any real tone or volume (in spite of your bud's music-biz credentials, nowadays not too many guys outside of jazz circles really "get it" when it comes to acoustic archtops - and I'll venture a guess he's probably played nothing heavier than 11's on any of his guitars over the last 40 years); in addition, the monel 13's I recommended above would be period-correct if you're looking for some real Big Band-era tonal vibe. As far as the D'Aquisto is concerned, since you're going with 13's anyway why not just string it up with the same monel set - FYI they were intended as acoustic strings when they were first introduced, and when you finally decide to plug in (you will, trust me - even if only out of curiosity) you'll get better electric response and balance than you would from a PB or 80/20 set; you'll also find them "slinkier" and easier-fingering than comparable-gauge PB's or 80/20's (in practice they feel a full gauge lighter than their actual designation) - I have them on three different guitars as we speak, and my Godin 5th Avenue archtop's getting a set when it's time for the next string change...
Yes, that's the guitar! (Recording King M-3). The piece on the headstock that says "Recording King" has fallen off but that's definitely the guitar. I guess it is possibly a lot older than what I was told. Great information Steve, you have my thanks! I'm going to order some of the Monels you recommended today.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:29 PM

Sha-Zam! You got some fantastic guitars out of the deal there. Once in a lifetime!

As has been mentioned above.. Many of those old archtops were designed around heavy strings.. No lighter than mediums... These guys played large clubs and dance halls... The only amplification available (if any) was for the lead singer...
Old 09-27-2017, 01:02 PM

Sorry for the massive pictures guys. I'm just learning how to post here. The focus is out on the D'Aquisto as well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops