The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-23-2017, 09:49 PM

Default Almost 50 and first electric

Hi everyone. First post in electric forum but after all this time never even trying an electric I picked up a squire package from a local kid who got it as a gift and never took it out of the box. So cheap I had to grab it. Hope this doesn't start a new (expensive) obsession. Lol. Now just gotta work on fitting my fingers into that narrow nut width!
Rob
Old 09-23-2017, 09:59 PM

Could be worse - you could have picked up any guitar for the first time at 58. That was last year, now I have 12, 4 of which are electrics. Oh, and 5 amps (2 of which are the same). Expensive obsession? Absolutely, but those of us with more yesterdays than tomorrows can't afford the cost of wasted time, our most precious commodity.

Re: Nut spacing - I don't know what that Squire's nut width is, but it could be Fender's original 1 5/8, which is quite narrow. Fender's moving to 1 11/16 which seems OK with thinner electric strings. If it's too narrow, don't be shy about finding one that works - I wasn't, which is why I've got electrics with 1 11/16 and 1 3/4, long and short scale, humbucker and single coil. Can't decide what you like until you try them all. Oh yeah - you're dead $$.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:13 PM

Excellent choice. Squire teles are so inexpensive for what you get that it seem almost like stealing. I was looking at one the other day and played as well as some MIM and US made versions that were far more expensive.

On electric guitar forums I have seen several posts by tele fanatics who buy the squires and then drop in more expensive pick ups because they feel the "bones" of the squiers are really good.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:41 PM

Thanks. Had no intentions of getting into electric but so cheap
Old 09-23-2017, 10:44 PM

And seems well done. Good setup, frets are decent and no sharp ends straight neck. Tuners a bit iffy compared to what I'm used to but seem to hold tune fine
Old 09-24-2017, 08:18 AM

Good looking Tele!

In the unlikely event that your interest level remains constant, the next fork in the road will be obsession with either (1) The Next Awesome Electric I Just Can't Do Without, or (2) diving into the bottomless chasm called The Perfect Amp For Me. Or both (1) and (2).

We welcome you to the Deep Black Pit of electric guitars.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outoftime View Post
Hi everyone. First post in electric forum but after all this time never even trying an electric I picked up a squire package from a local kid who got it as a gift and never took it out of the box. So cheap I had to grab it. Hope this doesn't start a new (expensive) obsession. Lol. Now just gotta work on fitting my fingers into that narrow nut width!
Rob
Congratts BUT

I finally got back into an electric last fall (at 66) after having gone all acoustic in 72.

You may well have fallen into a GAS cycle ..... so far I have just one but darn those tellies and strats and F hole hollow bodies look interesting

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 09-24-2017, 10:11 AM

Lol that's what scares me. And amps and pedals and ....
Old 09-24-2017, 10:18 AM

Smile nice

Hi outoftime. I have only been doing the electric thang a couple of years myself. It looks like you picked up a nice rig to learn on.

Yeah, electric is a totally different animal. If you play in a lot in first position (cowboy chords) and use the same grip you do on acoustics, you will her most chords going extremely sharp. Electrics require a lighter fretting hand and a more precise picking hand. You will definitely find yourself using more power and barre chords. There's a lot of things that can be done easily on an electric and not so much on an acoustic. Lots of fun and learning ahead for you.

Welcome to the club and enjoy!

PS, FWIW, you ain't old by AGF standards. 54 myself. A lot of boomers here, as you know.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19

Last edited by roylor4; 09-24-2017 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Congrats- now gt ready to spend some money. First you will want a tube amp. Then a Strat. Then a Les Paul. Then another amp. Don't forget the pedals. And mics. Hoo boy... your in it now...
Old 09-24-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
...Expensive obsession? Absolutely, but those of us with more yesterdays than tomorrows can't afford the cost of wasted time, our most precious commodity.
Well put, Chris! Eloquent and to the point.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:48 PM

The bright side, is at 50 you won't be down the rabbit hole as long as folks that started in their 20's or 30's. On that note...if I may save you some mis-direction. Just get a 52 tele and 64 princeton or deluxe and forget about the pedals.

Welcome to the rabbit hole
Old 09-24-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Rob
I picked up my first electric at age 63 ... a Yamaha Pacifica (Strat copy) and I love it. I then added an Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top Pro. Amazing guitar for a reasonable price.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:52 PM

Gotta say nothing like banging out power chords with some distortion to take you back a few years. And to make your teenagers shake their heads! Lol
Old 09-24-2017, 02:22 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Gotta say nothing like banging out power chords with some distortion to take you back a few years. And to make your teenagers shake their heads! Lol

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars